Legs look like they belong on a different person :(

Options
2»

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    You look lovely. I’m sure many of us would be very happy to have your build.
    Body image is a very hard thing to accept for many people. Acceptance can be very frustrating, but try to take some satisfaction in knowing that many people feel you look very inspirational.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You are, and will always be, your hardest critic. I won't tell you that you look fine, lovely, etc because you did ask us not to do so. But if you're looking for an exercise that does (kind of) target the legs, I'd suggest walking. That how I lost 99% of my weight (about 60 pounds now) with walking/hiking. I DO know that I have always had huge calves, it's hereditary, my mom was the same way. And I know that now my calves, while still a good size, as no longer these huge chunks of fat, but nice, well toned muscles. They might even measure the same circumference but they don't LOOK the same, and I'm finally happy with my legs. But... it's not something that will come about in a day, a week or even a month, it's something that does take time. Not just for the toning, but for your own "sight" to see past the size and realize "Hey... they actually DO look good!" ;)
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    As I have read in many other threads recomp is a slow process. I read an article by Eric helms where he reckoned it took him 10 plus years to build some serious mass in his quads. I think you need to just keep training. Maybe think about whether the programme you are following has enough leg volume. I’ve been strength training properly for 2 years and still don’t see a lot of definition in my legs. It’s frustrating. I’ve seen a bit of quad definition recently since switching to a 4 day upper/lower split but I know other regular posters have been pleased with their results on a full body programme. Sorry not to have a quick solution for you.
  • LDemi333
    LDemi333 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would love your legs.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,598 Member
    Options
    I think your legs look great! We are definitely more critical of ourselves, keep up whatever you're doing!

I can commiserate as I'm a pear shape too. I've been a medium on top for awhile but my bottom half is double the size pants most people are at my weight. I'm never going to be able to shrink my hip bones and will probably never be 100% happy with my thighs, but am gaining muscle, losing weight, and working on self-acceptance. It's not easy and I know I'm more critical of my body than anyone else is of me which is why I'm working on my mental outlook.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    nice legs though, you are overthinking a little. IT can happen to someone who had problems with weight before.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,302 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. I think that if you had a look you liked better before, when you were a bit lighter, you'll most likely return to that look when you lose a bit of weight.

Personally, I get literally bony up top (ribs show on upper chest) when I still have fat below my ribcage and down my legs. If I keep losing, the fat comes off places where I still have excess fat, not the places where I don't. I'd expect you to find the same thing.

It isn't clear to me from your OP whether you're continuing or have resumed the strength program. Presumably you have, because that would be the best route in your scenario, I suspect.

Recomp is slow, by nature. Very slow. Each of us has different genetics, which means it could be even slower for some than others. All any of us can do individually is run a well-designed suitable strength program, eat nutritiously (including adequate protein), not layer on an aggressive calorie deficit, work hard, and see what happens. Speculation is stressful (and pointless), body comparison with others is pointless (and stressful).

Frankly, the cases where I've seen women's body comp get worse are those who lose weight fast, maybe do a bunch of cardio alongside that, maybe eat a suboptimal amount of protein (because salad is more "ladylike" or something? dunno) so lose more muscle than minimally necessary; give up both diet and exercise, still eat insufficient protein (add a lot of carbs, often), so gain mostly fat . . . then yo-yo through this cycle many times over many years, with body comp getting just a tiny bit worse with every cycle. You aren't doing that (presumably).

I don't see the relevance of what some unidentified women told Lyle McDonald, or of the info you linked, unless you put in the work over the next couple of years and find that that exact thing happens to you. Since you've lost weight before and had thinner legs as a result, I still think that's the most likely outcome.

I have some of the same fat distribution as you do, I think . . . maybe the main difference is that while I might like to be in amazing shape (fitness wise . . . leaving aside the question of whether I'm really willing to work hard enough to achieve that ;) ), I don't particularly care how I look. That's not a diss on people who do care; caring about appearance is more normal, I think. It's intended as a potential explanation of why I might not seem all that empathetic with the venting part, because it's not very familiar to me . . . nonetheless, I like to see anyone and everyone achieve their healthy goals, so I'd wish the same for you.

Best wishes, truly!