Falling Off the Wagon

Options
I was absolutely horrible this weekend. Does anyone have suggestions? I think I ate because I was bored...

Replies

• Nickbiancuzzo
    Nickbiancuzzo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, start fresh today : )
  • FoodExercise
    FoodExercise Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I don't do well on weekends either (and yes I get bored too and that triggers eating). I totally get it. I am now trying to have a really filling healthy late breakfast so that I am really satisfied (with good food) for most of the day and then won't get really hungry, tired and bored (cause that is when I am my weakest to eat heaps of carbs). I find I have more strength in the morning to eat well.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    today is a new day. each moment and meal is a new opportunity to do well.

just shake off the weekend and move forward.

This ^^^^^
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I a huge comfort meal on Sunday night. Ate WAY over my calorie target for the day.

Guess what? Doesn't matter.

One bad meal didn't make me overweight, that took constant overeating and the odd 'healthy meal' didn't change that. Same applies here only the reverse. One good meal won't make me lose weight, that takes constant appropriate eating and one 'bad meal' won't change that.

Perspective
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    delete please :) I couldn't find the link (there was a great post about how one day of overeating made zero impact on long term progress...)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    delete please :) I couldn't find the link (there was a great post about how one day of overeating made zero impact on long term progress...)

You looking for this?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10603949/big-overfeed-ruins-everything-nope/p1

• Panini911
    Options
    x
    NovusDies wrote: »

You looking for this?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10603949/big-overfeed-ruins-everything-nope/p1

thanks! overfeed is the word i forgot when searching :)
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Get back up and keep on trucking! Feel free to add me. I tend to fall off from time to time, but always pick myself back up. I'm currently fighting back after a tumble from vacation!

You got this!!
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    That's good. I love setbacks because they're the best training wheels for maintenance. Every time I overeat due to loss of control I get mixed feelings of annoyed and excited. Annoyed because I overate, excited because it means I will overeat less often in similar situations in the future.

Weight management is for life if you want to keep the weight off. That's why every time you don't do it as perfectly as you'd hoped it's a life situation that will likely recur during maintenance and you're learning from it and honing your skills to handle it long term. Theorizing solutions is not as effective as actually trying them out when the situation occurs, that's why setbacks are important. They're not being "off the wagon", they're an essential part of the process.

Put together a strategy. What will you do next time you get bored and feel like eating? Plan a few strategies for that situation, and next time you get bored (and you will) try them out. If something works and makes it easier to handle, make a note of. If you end up overeating and nothing makes it easier to handle, then brainstorm a few more strategies to handle the situation and keep tweaking until you find something that makes handling it somewhat easier.

Keep in mind even with successful strategies you will overeat sometimes. That's normal because you're human. The good news is that if your new strategies help you overeat less often, occasional overeating will not have much (if any) impact on your weight management.

This was fantastically said! Kudos!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    x
    NovusDies wrote: »

You looking for this?

thanks! overfeed is the word i forgot when searching :)

You don't have all of @AnnPT77's threads bookmarked?
  • sahar516
    sahar516 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel like someone learning to ride a bike. I keep falling off. I start each day with good intentions and then throughout the day my mind starts dwelling on what events are coming ( and I rationalize skipping the plan) and when temptation comes, I cave.. Also at night, I seem to NEED snacks. : :/
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Since the weekend is your weakest, have you thought about doing calorie cycling.
    This way most of your calories will be saved for the weekend, during the week where you are more in control, your calories will be a loss less.
    I find this works for me, especially if I am going on a day trip
  • Panini911
    Options
    sahar516 wrote: »
    I feel like someone learning to ride a bike. I keep falling off. I start each day with good intentions and then throughout the day my mind starts dwelling on what events are coming ( and I rationalize skipping the plan) and when temptation comes, I cave.. Also at night, I seem to NEED snacks. : :/

I have a snack before bed every night and still lost hte weight. I just pre-log and factor those calories into my entire days worth.
  • NovusDies
    Options

The first question is why are you avoiding the snacks? Do you believe that eating after a certain time will impact your weight loss? If so, that is false.

Are you avoiding the snacks because they are making you eat above your goal? If so, why do you need the snacks?

Are you unhappy with what you are eating during the day?
    Are you feeling really hungry after dinner?

or

Is it a habit that you are having a hard time breaking or mitigating with lesser calorie options?

• sahar516
    sahar516 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    The first question is why are you avoiding the snacks? Do you believe that eating after a certain time will impact your weight loss? If so, that is false.

Are you avoiding the snacks because they are making you eat above your goal? If so, why do you need the snacks?

Are you unhappy with what you are eating during the day?
    Are you feeling really hungry after dinner?

or

Is it a habit that you are having a hard time breaking or mitigating with lesser calorie options?

Regarding the snacks, I have an issue with portion and self control. I am usually okay with what I eat during the day, and no I am not hungry after dinner. Maybe I am bored; or it's mindless eating while watching TV.