Aaaaany trail runners in here? Or beginner triathletes?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'm a casual trail runner. I was doing 4-5 miles over 800' before I got sidelined by some health issues, getting back up to speed. I did 3.5 this morning over 400'!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Love those trail pictures. Must be spectacular during the fall.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    not a beginner triathlete - but willing to talk and help as needed

Does the offer extend to allowing mediocre swimmers to draft behind you in an IM swim? Asking for a friend. ;)

Haha! I’m slower right now even shaving my head didn’t help! 99 days until IM Florida :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Love those trail pictures. Must be spectacular during the fall.

As long as I remember to stop and enjoy it, yes. If I try to enjoy it while running, I usually end up face down in the dirt. Stupid roots...
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    As long as I remember to stop and enjoy it, yes. If I try to enjoy it while running, I usually end up face down in the dirt. Stupid roots...[/quote]

I have done more damage to myself running (body slamming) than I ever did mtbing. Ditto on the stupid roots!
  • Djproulx
    Steff46 wrote: »
    As long as I remember to stop and enjoy it, yes. If I try to enjoy it while running, I usually end up face down in the dirt. Stupid roots...

I have done more damage to myself running (body slamming) than I ever did mtbing. Ditto on the stupid roots! [/quote]
    Was thinking of this thread this past weekend. A friend broke her streak of "no falls while trail running" by hitting a root and taking 10 stitches in her knee. The risk is real.
  • MelanieCN77
    edited July 2019
    Was thinking of this thread this past weekend. A friend broke her streak of "no falls while trail running" by hitting a root and taking 10 stitches in her knee. The risk is real.

I fell on one knee coming down a crooked, stony patch, and two weeks later fell on the other going up some dirt that had been loosed by recent rain. So June was quiet for me, trail wise :D
  • Djproulx

I fell on one knee coming down a crooked, stony patch, and two weeks later fell on the other going up some dirt that had been loosed by recent rain. So June was quiet for me, trail wise :D

At least you have achieved a certain symmetry! ;)
  • jjpptt2
    Any of you trail runners also trail racers?

I've got a 4-miler coming up in a few weeks.
  • Kelleygirl79
    Kelleygirl79 Posts: 71 Member

I have done more damage to myself running (body slamming) than I ever did mtbing. Ditto on the stupid roots!
    [/quote]

I'll say the risk is real! It was misty and a bit soggy on my run yesterday. I was crossing a creek and the flat rocks are slippery as snot. In an instant I was face down in that creek. My dog looked at me like I was an idiot since I literally had muddy water running down my face. I jammed my index finger trying to break that fall. But the worst damage -- it broke my fabulously manicured fingernail. LOL So all-in-all it was a glorious run! I've injured myself on those tree roots much worse fer sure.
  • MelanieCN77
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Any of you trail runners also trail racers?

I've got a 4-miler coming up in a few weeks.

I did one, earlier this year in February - it was a 6k in Griffith Park in LA. I know most trails are like this but it was a fairly uninspiring uphill out and downhill back on fire roads, I had fun in the way trail running and races are fun, but not sure I'd do it again. The shirt I paid for ended up being tiny and I appeared in zero photos. :D

Overall I prefer my own curated routes where I can be sure of some variation and something more exciting than packed dirt. Which is why we hit trails instead of roads, right?
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Trail and pavement here. After this marathon and half marathon season, I'd like to get into sprint tris.
  • Steff46
    I'm trying to get up the energy to do a trail run/bike/run. I'm wanting to do another off road duathlon. I did one last year and I get so tired from the ride that the second run kills me and I become "lazy footed". I've been doing the run/bike for the past few weeks hoping to add the second run soon. I'm thinking of practicing the second run on a gravel road until I get better.
  • jjpptt2
    edited July 2019
    I'm trying to get up the energy to do a trail run/bike/run. I'm wanting to do another off road duathlon. I did one last year and I get so tired from the ride that the second run kills me and I become "lazy footed". I've been doing the run/bike for the past few weeks hoping to add the second run soon. I'm thinking of practicing the second run on a gravel road until I get better.

I've done a couple on-road dus... I wish there were off-roads near me. That would be a great event! But I can definitely see the second run being, uh, problematic. Consider doing bike/runs rather than run/bikes. Or in addition to.
  • Steff46

I've done a couple on-road dus... I wish there were off-roads near me. That would be a great event! But I can definitely see the second run being, uh, problematic. Consider doing bike/runs rather than run/bikes. Or in addition to.[/quote]

Thanks! A bike/run is a great idea! I'll try that this weekend. Now I'm pumped :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i like trail running and racing but most of them are on morning when i work. I'm hoping to get a trail run soon.
  • Steff46
    I did a bike/run this past Saturday. Rode to the fire tower on some single track then gravel road. Then did a run on the gravel road. Felt good, I'm hoping to up the adventure to run single track next weekend.