Puree food

Options
I want to puree hard to chew foods such as apples, pears, & carrots. Do i puree them in a food processor or a blender or the Baby Bullet?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    If you’re trying to puree from raw the food processor probably isn’t the best choice. I think you’d end up with minced fruit and veg rather than a smooth purée.
    A blender (liquidiser) may not be a lot better because without some liquid it’ll struggle to do much other than purée a few centimetres around the blades. I have no experience with a bullet but it’s my understanding that it’s basically just a powerful blender?
    If you’re planning on poaching/boiling/steaming first then pretty much any of the three appliances would fit the bill.

I’d add that if you do purée them you’d maybe be missing out on some dietary fibre that helps you feel full. If, however, you’d not eat them otherwise then the balance, nutritionally speaking would tip towards the purée route, I suspect.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I want to puree hard to chew foods such as apples, pears, & carrots. Do i puree them in a food processor or a blender or the Baby Bullet?

Try all three and see what you like best.

I use my Cuisinart food processor for smoothies that have fruit and veggies. I do add liquid.

I used to also have a blender but find the FP can do everything the blender did and is easier to wash.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I puree for my toddler son who suffers from dysphagia and has a feeding tube. He has a feeding aversion since infancy because of this, so most of what he's taken by mouth has been pureed for last 2 years (he's finally eating some crackers and solid things now yay). We invested in a Ninja and that has worked much better than the cheap blender we used to have and will puree most anything I throw at it. Canned veggies and fruits blend really well, else you can steam them. Slightly overcooking (e.g. green beans) can make things blend easier. We add some broth as the liquid to help things blend and we are usually trying to get MORE calories in him so we add butter, whole milk, etc.

I don't know your situation or reason for pureeing but if you want ideas of things you can puree I can share more (we've done things like spaghetti, beef stew, chicken and rice, refried beans, in addition to veggies like sweet potato or green beans)