walking faster

Options
2»

Replies

• hotel4dogs
    hotel4dogs Posts: 72 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Sadly, when I saw the podiatrist about 2 weeks ago I found out that I need surgery on a total of 7 toes....
    I'll read that book, Fixing your feet. Sounds like just what I need!
  • 1smores
    1smores Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Pure personal anecdote, not expertise:

I found that when I started working on engaging my glutes more during walking - which I did in an effort to spare my bad knees - it had three unexpected side effects: (1) My stride shortened; (2) my turnover rate (or whatever you call it in walking) increased, i.e., more steps per minute; and (3) My GPS-monitored speed increased from around 3.8-3.9 mph to 4.0-4.1 mph, the first time I worked at doing for the whole walk (4-point-something miles, so a decent sample).

Your results may vary, of course.

Can you share more information about how to engage your glutes while walking? Sounds like a great workout addition! TIA!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,697 Member
    Options
    1smores wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Pure personal anecdote, not expertise:

I found that when I started working on engaging my glutes more during walking - which I did in an effort to spare my bad knees - it had three unexpected side effects: (1) My stride shortened; (2) my turnover rate (or whatever you call it in walking) increased, i.e., more steps per minute; and (3) My GPS-monitored speed increased from around 3.8-3.9 mph to 4.0-4.1 mph, the first time I worked at doing for the whole walk (4-point-something miles, so a decent sample).

Your results may vary, of course.

Can you share more information about how to engage your glutes while walking? Sounds like a great workout addition! TIA!

I wish I had some brilliant prep exercise or strategy here, but all I was doing was focusing on intentionally using my glutes as part of doing the walking movements, paying attention to contracting those muscles.

My knowledge of anatomy isn't up to a better description than that: Apologies! :flowerforyou:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,099 Member
    Options
    hotel4dogs wrote: »
    Sadly, when I saw the podiatrist about 2 weeks ago I found out that I need surgery on a total of 7 toes....
    I'll read that book, Fixing your feet. Sounds like just what I need!

How did the foot surgery go?