How long do you think it will take to lose 50lbs?

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Diet is #1 with exercise #2 most important (at least for me)....I have lost 57 lbs since April of this year. I have been very strict with diet, NO CHEAT MEALS and clean, lean & green eating , low carbs (100 g or less). Calories are cut in 1/2 of what I used to eat daily....I exercise at least 6 times a week with lots of cardio. It all depends how bad you want it.

This is "a" way to do it, not "the" way to do it. There are plenty of other ways to lose weight. What did you start at and where are you now? 57 pounds in less than 4 months is very fast. And for someone of her weight, too fast. If you have a lot to lose, that may be more feasible, but I would not recommend it for her. Nor do you need to eat "clean" "low carb" or "no cheat meals" or anything else.

Hi Mike, I never said it was the ONLY way, but it is all about how bad a person wants it. I was 280 in april...I'm 223 now and goal is 195 and then I will reevaluate. Who knows, it may take me the rest of the year to lose the rest but I am not quitting MY METHOD. To each their own. You do you.

OP asked for advice for her situation. No matter how bad she wants it, she can't lose 57 lbs in 3 or 4 months, or cut her calories in half, and already said no exercise.

Unfortunately, not everyone understands the math of weight loss when they get here, and a man who started at 280 lbs telling a woman who is starting at 180 lbs what he did to lose weight with no warning based on how different their circumstances are, can end up leading someone down an impossible path.

Congrats on your success so far! But the pace you've lost at is incredibly aggressive and would be dangerous for many people.

Understood, I will put a warning next time. :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Diet is #1 with exercise #2 most important (at least for me)....I have lost 57 lbs since April of this year. I have been very strict with diet, NO CHEAT MEALS and clean, lean & green eating , low carbs (100 g or less). Calories are cut in 1/2 of what I used to eat daily....I exercise at least 6 times a week with lots of cardio. It all depends how bad you want it.

This is "a" way to do it, not "the" way to do it. There are plenty of other ways to lose weight. What did you start at and where are you now? 57 pounds in less than 4 months is very fast. And for someone of her weight, too fast. If you have a lot to lose, that may be more feasible, but I would not recommend it for her. Nor do you need to eat "clean" "low carb" or "no cheat meals" or anything else.

Hi Mike, I never said it was the ONLY way, but it is all about how bad a person wants it. I was 280 in april...I'm 223 now and goal is 195 and then I will reevaluate. Who knows, it may take me the rest of the year to lose the rest but I am not quitting MY METHOD. To each their own. You do you.

Assuming April 1st that is 3.43 pounds a week on average. You should slow down. The general rule of thumb is not to lose more than 1 percent of your total weight per week and that rule does not apply as you get closer to goal.

You should read this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    It took me ~ 1 year to lose 60 lbs. I started out at a rate about 2 lbs/week and this trended down over time as I drew closer to my optimal BMI.

If you want to establish a reasonable goal I would set this at 50 weeks from your starting point.

More importantly make small changes instead of drastic ones and take careful note of your behavior as you go through this process.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited July 2019
    It took me about 6 months to lose a little over 20 lbs with just walking (I use a fitbit to track this exercise) and logging my food in myfitnesspal to eat at a deficit. So I'd say you could probably do 50 in a bit over a year with that method. In the scheme of things, 6 months seemed like it would be a long time when I started but once it just becomes habit it doesn't feel like that long anymore and just becomes what you do - I just hit my 200 day logging streak the other day and was surprised it had been that long! Hopefully this means it will be sustainable as I transition to maintenance.

I also recommend the same post someone mentioned above, it was helpful getting started: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Hi Sarah - how long did it take you to gain it? If it has been a temporary gain maybe shorter (like had a baby, surgery etc). Its taken me a year to lose 42 lbs, and since making a greater effort 36 since November. It depends on your metabolism. I don't exercise a great deal other than in the water, but water jogging 3-4 times a week burns some calories. Otherwise I'm 1100-1300 cals a day....so to lose 36 lbs it took me about 6 months. So bottom line - If I was a betting woman I'd say over a year. You don't have to exercise in a gym to lose weight, but for a sedentary lifestyle it will take you a year around 1200 cals a day. That being said, can you pscyhologically keep that up for a year, it isn't easy. I have had a bad day or two, but I don't think I've exceeded 1800 cals since November 2018....
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm 4'11" and started last October 2018 and lost 30 lbs by the end of January of this year. So I lost 30 in about 3.5 months. Since summer began I've been off the wagon and gained a few pounds back so I'm back at it. I'm setting a goal of 1 year to hopefully lose another 20 lbs making it 50 total. But it totally depends on you, how dedicated you are to staying on track. Remember its a lifestyle change and not a diet. Try to do it by eating what you like but cutting back on how much you eat and getting more active.
  • emialyssa13
    emialyssa13 Posts: 16 Member
    One year with more or less 1 pound per week. It's not safe to lose more than that. Ok, I do it, but it is not that i want. I eat plenty (but i eat fruits and vegetables) and i lost 11 lbs in 20 days... even if i dont do exercises. But i'm a little tired because i started drastically. my boyfriend tell me sometimes that i look as if I was hungry because of my mood. I'm nasty.

So don't start drastically as I did. It's not good. Nor for your friends, nor for your family, nor for you. Y'oull be angry.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I lost 35 pounds in 5 months without any exercise but working. I have lost the next 30 with diet and exercise because the more you lose the more you want to move and I find exercising to my limit really fun, especially because I couldn't do it for so long. Just don't set a date to get it done by, just take it week by week, 10 pounds at a time.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Let MFP do the calculations.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I lost about 50 pounds in around 6 months, starting from around your size, OP (I was 5'5" (165cm), 183 pounds to start) but 59 years old at the time. I didn't materially change my exercise level (which was, and continued to be, 6 days of vigorous exercise most weeks, something I'd been doing for over a decade while obese: exercise isn't magical for weight loss, pro or con).

I admit, I accidentally lost a little too fast for a while there (MFP underestimated my calorie needs, which is rare, but can happen): Don't lose too fast; it's a Bad Plan. And there's no prize for ultra-fast lost: Best to keep it achievable, sustainable, as pleasant as one can make it, IMO.

I stuck to my calorie goal most of the time, went over it by choice for rare special occasions (no way I'm gonna not indulge on my birthday or Christmas!), and continued eating the foods I like (which I admit were the same pretty-healthy foods I'd used in bigger portions to get obese in the first place). Most of the time, while losing, I was eating 150g-ish of carbs daily, and it's been more like 200g-ish in the 3 years of maintenance since.
    It all depends how bad you want it.

I kinda didn't want it bad . . . I wanted it good. I'm hedonistic that way. ;) But yeah, calorie level is the key determinant of weight.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    edited July 2019
    I previously lost 50 lbs in 9 months on a keto diet. (edit to add: no exercise) (with a month break in the middle.). I did gain back all of the weight though...
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Well I am your height and started my current weight loss journey in January at 185. I am 143 now and planning on staying here for a bit. 129 would not be healthy for me at all, might not even be attainable without significant muscle loss. I could do 139 but I need a break. It took me about 5 months to lose 42lbs. I started with an aggressive deficit for 8 weeks and then intentionally reduced my deficit in stages. I focused very intently on my own personal food triggers and on increasing my number of workouts a week as fitness was a high priority for me. Once I got into my healthy BMI range below 150 my focus switched from weight loss specifically to how am I going to maintain this long term and I have been figuring that out for about 2 months.

So a few questions for you. Why do you want to lose 50lbs? what made you come up with that number? Why do you want to do this quickly? I assume you also want to sustain this new weight long term? What are your plans for that. Start considering them now.
  • jenn990205
    jenn990205 Posts: 1,207 Member
    I lost 35 pounds in just under a year with no exercise, just watching my calories. I have 5 kids (ages 20-11), 2 dogs, a husband, a full time job, and a house to take care of. Going to the gym for 1-2 hours a day is just not a realistic thing for me to do. It took me a little longer, but I was ok with that. I started in July of 2018 at 178 pounds and am now at 143. I have another 8 pounds to go, so if it takes me another 3-4 months I completely content with that.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Best frame of mind to have when making a lifestyle change. When asking how long it will take to lose x pounds the answer is always:

As long as it takes or until I feel great about my progress.

Don’t put a time cap on your goals. Focus on improving your lifestyle as a goal.
  • ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    ssurvivor wrote: »
    Based on your age, height and weight, your BMR (the number of calories you need to maintain your weight if you were in bed all day) is 1589 cal. And if you're sedentary, your TDEE (daily caloric requirement) is 1907 cal.

(source: https://idealprotein.com/bmr-calculator-2/ )

Now, one pound of body fat contains between 3436 and 3752 calories depending on the individual.

(source: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/calories-in-a-pound-of-fat#section2)

To lose one pound per week (one year to your goal), you need a calorie deficit of at least 600 calories per day (general convention says 500 per day, but that is based on a 3500 calorie estimation - what if you're closer to 3752?)

Now, you can lose weight, but, without exercise, you may lose things you don't want (like muscle mass), and it's very difficult to consume 1300 calories and still be healthy (not impossible, but a lot of work). And you definitely want to be as healthy as possible during your journey. Otherwise, you may end up gaining everything back + some (if you make it to the end)

No one is arguing that exercise is good for fitness and it increases your CO. That is not what the OP asked though and since the OP didn't mention being bedridden that might your BMR argument straw manish. For all anyone knows the OP has a very active job/life and has plenty of calorie burn.

You said it wasn't feasible. It is. That doesn't make it ideal.

(1) What part of "you can lose weight..." or "not impossible but a lot of work" means "not feasible?"

(2) If my post were based on her BMR, I would have discussed consuming 989 calories instead of 1300.

(3) As a general rule, it's a good idea to actually read a comment before trying to refute it.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    The majority of weight loss is done in the kitchen. The numbr of calories you eat determines how much weight you will lose. While I was losing weight the only exercise I did was walking. I threatened to lift weights and still haven't gotten around to it other than the sporadic effort here and there, lol.

I would guess that at least 90 percent of us started our journey with a certain time frame in mind. Some may have fulfilled it and some won't have. I lost about 90 lbs on mfp in 2 years. I lost 18 prior to that for a total loss of 108 pounds. I have maintained so far in a ten pound range for 2 years. I never expected it to take me 2 years to reach goal but it was so worth it! One of the things we forget is how much better we will feel as we get lighter. Not just physically but emotionally as well. Losing weight didn't fix all my issues but it helped and even before I lost those last 20 pounds (which took a year) I felt so much better about who I was. I looked so much better.

Try not to focus on the amount of time it takes but rather focus on doing something you can live with the rest of your life. This is how you lose weight permanently. If at some point you have more time and energy to add in some strength training that would be a plus to maintain muscle mass. But it is entirely possible to lose weight just by cutting calories. Good luck.