How long do you think it will take to lose 50lbs?

Options
SarahBa89
SarahBa89 Posts: 11 Member
How long do you think it will take to lose 50lbs, without exercising?

165cm, F, 30, 179lbs.

Replies

• ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Based on your age, height and weight, your BMR (the number of calories you need to maintain your weight if you were in bed all day) is 1589 cal. And if you're sedentary, your TDEE (daily caloric requirement) is 1907 cal.

(source: https://idealprotein.com/bmr-calculator-2/ )

Now, one pound of body fat contains between 3436 and 3752 calories depending on the individual.

(source: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/calories-in-a-pound-of-fat#section2)

To lose one pound per week (one year to your goal), you need a calorie deficit of at least 600 calories per day (general convention says 500 per day, but that is based on a 3500 calorie estimation - what if you're closer to 3752?)

Now, you can lose weight, but, without exercise, you may lose things you don't want (like muscle mass), and it's very difficult to consume 1300 calories and still be healthy (not impossible, but a lot of work). And you definitely want to be as healthy as possible during your journey. Otherwise, you may end up gaining everything back + some (if you make it to the end)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    ssurvivor wrote: »
    Based on your age, height and weight, your BMR (the number of calories you need to maintain your weight if you were in bed all day) is 1589 cal. And if you're sedentary, your TDEE (daily caloric requirement) is 1907 cal.

(source: https://idealprotein.com/bmr-calculator-2/ )

Now, one pound of body fat contains between 3436 and 3752 calories depending on the individual.

(source: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/calories-in-a-pound-of-fat#section2)

To lose one pound per week (one year to your goal), you need a calorie deficit of at least 600 calories per day (general convention says 500 per day, but that is based on a 3500 calorie estimation - what if you're closer to 3752?)

Now, you can lose weight, but, without exercise, you may lose things you don't want (like muscle mass), and it's very difficult to consume 1300 calories and still be healthy (not impossible, but a lot of work). And you definitely want to be as healthy as possible during your journey. Otherwise, you may end up gaining everything back + some (if you make it to the end)

No one is arguing that exercise is good for fitness and it increases your CO. That is not what the OP asked though and since the OP didn't mention being bedridden that might your BMR argument straw manish. For all anyone knows the OP has a very active job/life and has plenty of calorie burn.

You said it wasn't feasible. It is. That doesn't make it ideal.

• Ssssss666666
    Ssssss666666 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you i did 54lbs in six months, have been maintaining for 2 years. Just healthy eating, being strict.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question could be quite different depending on all sorts of variables, but...

Assuming you are sedentary in addition to not exercising, based on your current stats, you should probably be aiming to lose 1 lb per week. That would be a 500 cal deficit. A 750 cal deficit for 1.5lbs would possibly put you under 1200 cals. (If you are active as a part of your normal lifestyle and just don't intend to do purposeful additional exercise, you might be able to start at 1.5lbs per week, but would probably want/need to reduce that to 1 lb per week as you approached 150 lbs or so in that case).

So set yourself up here to lose probably 1 lb per week, understand that weight loss isn't linear and you won't be perfect, know that you should slow down to 0.5lbs per week as you approach goal. So I'd figure at least a year, and then stop thinking about a time frame. Putting a time frame on weight loss goals is almost always a bad idea - you have control only over your actions, but there are all sorts of things that are outside your control that affect your weight. And it's almost impossible to stick perfectly to a plan for so long. Focus on slowly incorporating healthy habits over time that you will just consider a part of your lifestyle for the rest of your life, and know that a year from now you will be lighter, if not quite at goal yet.

Check out this post :smile:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    Way too many variables. If you carry a lot of water weight you could lose a lot quickly, then lose slower. You could lose in jumps with periods of seemingly no progress. A year is probably a good guess, but it could be longer or shorter depending on a number of factors. There is some good advice above about weight loss goals as you start and progress.
  • SarahBa89
    SarahBa89 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm on my feet for between 7-9 hours, five days a week, for work and getting to work etc.
    On the weekend I'm pretty much dead so walk for a maximum of 30 minutes to an hour, each day.

I have a number of painful conditions that prevent me from exercising.
    I also don't have a lot of spare time, as my life is just work and taking care of my daughter.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm 160cm, 46, and went from 182 to 142 in about 10 months. Then I took a break and lost 10 more the next year. I lost the first 25 without extra exercise, then the weight loss motivated me (and made it easier) to exercise.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The time seems important when you start. But really, it isn't.

You could crash-diet and lose much weight fast (initial weight loss is usually good but then it slows to less than an lb a week even on very limited rations). For 50 lb this will require much will-power and patience. It will also require a re-think about how you are going to eat in the future in order not to regain the lost weight and more. You will have to be careful not to build up a desire to re-eat all that you've missed out on during the 'diet'.
    OR
    You could change the way you eat/live - permanently - starting by understanding what caused the problem before. This would probably lead you to a method by which you lose weight slowly but you should be able to continue with it and to live the life of the thin person you will be (starting right now).

Truth.

Almost anyone can lose SOME weight. Most people fail to lose ALL the weight they wish to lose. If you want to be a success story you can't do the same stuff the people failing out there do. I have a lot of experience failing and worrying about time and speed is a weight loss killer.