What says ANYTHING on here is correct?

Options

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    As you use entries they will populate on your most recent list and you will find out that the ones you tend to use more often will be quite handily available most of the time.

Marginally off-topic, but does anyone know what time scale ‘recent’ uses? There are times I’m searching and I know I’ve eaten the exact food just a few days earlier, sometimes it’s there and often it has disappeared into the ether! Also, is that different on Premium?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    As you use entries they will populate on your most recent list and you will find out that the ones you tend to use more often will be quite handily available most of the time.

Marginally off-topic, but does anyone know what time scale ‘recent’ uses? There are times I’m searching and I know I’ve eaten the exact food just a few days earlier, sometimes it’s there and often it has disappeared into the ether! Also, is that different on Premium?

I prefer to log on the app because I can just start to type in my entry and it will auto populate suggestions. I find that a lot easier than using the recent list on the computer.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

I prefer to log on the app because I can just start to type in my entry and it will auto populate suggestions. I find that a lot easier than using the recent list on the computer.

Agreed more or less. I'd say I log from the smartphone app about a third of the time. That said, if what I'm adding is something I know isn't on the 4 pages of "recent" items on the website, I will almost always use the app for the reason you mentioned.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    You are only allowed 4 pages of "recents". After that MFP will delete one of your recents and replace it with the one that you are adding. For some reason they seem to select one of the ones that you use fairly frequently and leave one that you haven't used in months. At least that has been my experience.

That makes sense with what I see happening. Thank you!

I exclusively use the phone app and it still loses recent entries. Interestingly, unless it’s on the recent list it never suggests a match for what I’m typing. I’ve often wished it would when typing a long brand/description string!
  • ProgressShowing
    ProgressShowing Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well, it's on the internet so it must right... 😏

That's why I check things myself whenever possible. Still, what's good for one person may not work for others...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    This websites database is very easy to use if you are willing to put in just a moticum of effort. If choosing a new entry, either spend 2 seconds checking the label of your product, or do a 5 second Google search to see the nutrition. That will eliminate 99% of your issues.

You're right except for if you do a google search, say 'pineapple calories', it often brings up the nutrition on this site/fatsecret etc etc, all of these sites are filled with user inaccuracies so yes, do a google search but be careful where the information has come from

However, depending on your cookie settings (as in internet related cookies, not the cookie I will be eating later today), what will also likely come up on the first page of google hits is the USDA's website with the listing for, in this case, pineapple. Another option would be to just go directly to the USDA's database. Chrome auto-completes the URL for me given how often I use their website, but it'd be even easier to just bookmark their website.
  • SammyD242
    SammyD242 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I only use the barcode scanner.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    SammyD242 wrote: »
    I like the bar code scanner for packaged foods, and adding "USDA" when I search for produce (e.g. "tomato raw USDA").

Once you've confirmed a few entries yourself, they will start appearing in your "recent" and "frequent" lists, and you won't have to search for them anymore

As has been said, using the bar code scanner gives you access to user-entered foods, just as typing in a name does. And adding USDA to your search term gives you access to entries whose creators included "USDA" when they created them. I guess those people may be a little more likely to have gotten their data from the USDA nutrient database than some of the others, but if you want the data imported from the USDA nutrient by MFP, you should search using the actual text string use in the USDA nutrient database.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

• ProgressShowing
    ProgressShowing Posts: 62 Member
    Options

FYI - I've found that incorrect at times too.

• minxylicious
    minxylicious Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There's also an app called nutritional facts that might be quite helpful. I use it alongside this one.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say on this thread, that here is a classic example of manufacturer amounts not being correct

I have 2 brands of frozen jacket potato in the freezer, one is Mccain the other is Asda own brand.

They are clearly the same potato, manufactured/baked in the same factory. They are all 200g each (give or take a very small amount)

Yet the calorie amounts per 100g are different. Mccain pt theirs at 100cals per 100g. Asda put theirs at 81 per 100g.

Potatoes dont vary that much, so I go by the higher amount in my mind (although I log what is on the packet). I think they put a bit of sunflower oil on the outside of the potato but both of them say that in the description too so theres no reason for the Asda one to be so low.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    Potatoes dont vary that much, so I go by the higher amount in my mind (although I log what is on the packet). I think they put a bit of sunflower oil on the outside of the potato but both of them say that in the description too so theres no reason for the Asda one to be so low.

They may both say they put "a bit of sunflower oil", but the amount each brand uses is possibly different. I suspect that's where the 19 calories per 100g difference comes from.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    edited August 2019
    Options

That might be fine, apart from the fact that it only searches the database for you instead of you typing a long string of manufacturer+item+cooked status etc, but what about foods that don’t come pre-packed, pre-processed or otherwise manufactured?

Fresh fruit and veg from a market, or loose from your supermarket etc? I don’t think genetic modification has gone as far as to implant bar code info into plants! Yet! 😉
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

I often get really odd results from the barcode scanner, like data in ml when I'm adding potatoes. Or I get white toast when scanning chocolate. Or the calories are for cooked product while I want raw. Thus it's important to always verify.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I get an obviously nonsense result after bar scanning - like something is toast in mls when it is really bars of chocolate, like you said.

But nearly always it comes up as what it really is and a calorie level that makes sense.

So generally I think bar scanning is fine and just ignore the occasional obvious glitch.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Warning": Petty complaint ahead.....

Just because somebody doesnt know how to spell zucchini correctly doesnt mean their entries are wrong :o
    any more than spelling it correctly means their entries are right or 'we should have faith in them'

Absolutely. I have a perfectly accurate entry for 'Uncle Toby's Big Bowl Creamy Honey Oats Sachet' that shows up as 'Bug Bowl Creamy Honey Oats' because of my dumb fumble fingers when I entered it
  • carleecat1221
    carleecat1221 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In life nothing will ever be 100% perfect including calories listed on something. As long as someone stays within a reasonable amount and is accountable to themselves they will eat healthy and/or loose weight.