Not loosing any inches!

Options
amioc
amioc Posts: 175 Member
Hi everyone I’ve been dieting and exercising in the gym for 6weeks and still haven’t lost any inches! Is that normal? I’m to scared to weigh myself. Please someone give me some advice

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Do you stay in a calorie deficit?

Do you weigh all of your foods?

Edited to add: you indicate in your other posts that you know you're overeating and that you're hungry all the time.

If you want help, you have to be upfront about everything so we know how to help.
  • amioc
    Options
    Yes I was hungry all the time but I changed my weight loss goals to 1lb a week and I’ve been ok since then. I had 1 treat a week ago appart from that I have stuck to my calorie goal. I started weighing everything 2 weeks ago. I do feel slimmer but apparently I’m not lol
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    And you haven't weighed yourself?
  • amioc
    Options
    No because at the gym they said to go by measurements
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    Your initial post said you're afraid to weigh yourself. It would give you an immediate answer as to whether or not you're losing weight.

The gym can't tell you not to weigh yourself. That's crazy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    amioc wrote: »
    No because at the gym they said to go by measurements

As your goal is to lose weight not weighing yourself means you have lost the main ability to track your progress and get data on how effective your calorie intake is over time.

My advice would be to recognise the gym are providing a service but you are the customer and an adult and get to choose for yourself.

Not seeing why you are prepared to tolerate this anxiety when you can so simply resolve it.
  • amioc
    Options
    I think they said it because you may gain weight with muscle but measurements could be going down
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I think they said it because you may gain weight with muscle but measurements could be going down

Two possible reasons you will gain weight:
    1/ you are eating in a calorie surplus.
    2/ short term water retention from muscle soreness.

I agree.
    What is your weight and height?

I would add that after 6 weeks of consistent work, on a healthy person, inflammation and the subsequent water retention should not be that big of a factor. First 3 weeks is where the inflammation is at it's worse.

Also... Whoever in your Gym told you to not weigh yourself is either a mor0n or is trying to keep you coming back for consults.
    The more information you have, the easier it is to understand what's happening.

If you've been working for 6 weeks and no weight has come off, you're either underestimating your calories or your initial estimate was wrong to begin with.

• amioc
    Options
    I’m 5ft3inches and I weigh 135lbs I’m in a uk size 10 my aim is to be a uk size 8
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The NHS advises that 48-63 kg(106lbs -138lbs) of weight is healthy for your height. Of course that is just an estimate as it doesn't take bone density and muscle mass, but in general, it works.

That means you can afford to go down all the way to 106lbs and still maintain a healthy body weight.
    Depending on your body type, it can take anywhere from 4 to 15lbs to go down 1 inch in size.

So from 10 to 8, you need to lose anywhere from 8 to 30lbs of FAT, but unfortunately, the only way of really figuring out how much weight you need to lose is to do it.

And there you go. easy as pie.
    Figure out your maintenance level, cut it by 300-500 calories and let the pounds melt of week by week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

I mean, it sounds to me like they are telling you not to weigh yourself so that you have no idea if what they are telling you to do is working, and you have to rely on them telling you it's working and that you should remain a customer :neutral:

Your profile says you are female. As a woman, even if you were eating at a surplus and spending pro-level time in the gym, you would gain maybe 1-2 lbs of muscle per month. Certainly not enough to offset fat loss on the scale or in your measurements, and probably not happening if you were in a calorie deficit.

With your stats, you should be aiming to lose @ 0.5lbs per week, a 250 calorie deficit. That small amount of fat loss can hide behind water weight fluctuations on the scale, and will probably take some time to show up on the tape. But if I were you, I would be logging my food super accurately and consistently, weighing myself as often as was comfortable (but no more than once per day) and using a weight trending app to see my progress over time.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1