August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile any tingling or numbness elsewhere?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Nope, nothing. Since the Baker’s cyst behind the other knee presses on the nerve cluster I’ve gotten pretty familiar with variations of nerve issues. It doesn’t have that sharp “nervy” sort of feeling, and it doesn’t have the persistence of a muscle cramp. My instincts are telling me it’s an issue with a tendon getting out of alignment, especially since the only other thing going on is my hip popping on that side (which it does sometimes) but looking at anatomy books there’s nothing obvious located where the issue is.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Nope, nothing. Since the Baker’s cyst behind the other knee presses on the nerve cluster I’ve gotten pretty familiar with variations of nerve issues. It doesn’t have that sharp “nervy” sort of feeling, and it doesn’t have the persistence of a muscle cramp. My instincts are telling me it’s an issue with a tendon getting out of alignment, especially since the only other thing going on is my hip popping on that side (which it does sometimes) but looking at anatomy books there’s nothing obvious located where the issue is.

Have you tried stretching the area?

I have another thought. When I was in HS I had a problem that sounds like yours, at least vaguely. That was a long while ago. What the school sports doc told me at the time is that there is a tiny muscle that takes your leg the last little bit from bent to straight. This muscle is not used at all if you are say riding a bicycle. Over the summer I had done a lot of biking but no running, and when I returned to running MOST of my leg muscles were strong and ready, but that little one had actually atrophied a bit and could not keep up. To fix it I lifted weights with my leg, but only going thought that last bit of motion until the little muscle caught up. After that normal running kept it in line. The muscle is on the outside, behind the knee cap if I recall right. It has been a very long time since HS.

Maybe something like that is going on with you. If that muscle is weak for whatever reason it stands to reason that it would get tired before the rest of the leg and start hurting mid-run. If so you need to find a way to isolate that movement and exercise the muscle.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

I have another thought. When I was in HS I had a problem that sounds like yours, at least vaguely. That was a long while ago. What the school sports doc told me at the time is that there is a tiny muscle that takes your leg the last little bit from bent to straight. This muscle is not used at all if you are say riding a bicycle. Over the summer I had done a lot of biking but no running, and when I returned to running MOST of my leg muscles were strong and ready, but that little one had actually atrophied a bit and could not keep up. To fix it I lifted weights with my leg, but only going thought that last bit of motion until the little muscle caught up. After that normal running kept it in line. The muscle is on the outside, behind the knee cap if I recall right. It has been a very long time since HS.

Maybe something like that is going on with you. If that muscle is weak for whatever reason it stands to reason that it would get tired before the rest of the leg and start hurting mid-run. If so you need to find a way to isolate that movement and exercise the muscle.

That sounds reasonable, I’ll have to look into it. Due to my lack of acl in my other knee I tend to run defensively without fully straightening my legs if I don’t focus on form, since the acl-less knee is most likely to get out of whack at full extension. It would make sense that therefore the muscle you mention would be weaker than expected.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

That sounds reasonable, I’ll have to look into it. Due to my lack of acl in my other knee I tend to run defensively without fully straightening my legs if I don’t focus on form, since the acl-less knee is most likely to get out of whack at full extension. It would make sense that therefore the muscle you mention would be weaker than expected.

Sounds plausible. Hopefully, this is it and you can get the proper exercise to fix it. :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Have you googled hip snapping syndrome? Regarding the hamstring pain, is it deep? Burning and stab? Is it between the itb and hamstring?

Body image
    48xj21lma7f2.png

Perhaps this is the same muscle @PastorVincent is referring too. If it is, then getting to it to elicit pain might be difficult as it’s under other muscles. I wonder if it’s a bit of tendinitis. Good luck with it.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile sounds like you have some good clues for your hamstring pain. Hope you can find the answer!

Well, at least it was below 80F (but still 90% humidity). Today's plan was a speed workout. 1.25mi WU, then some drills, followed by 6x200 meter sprints with 200 meter recovery. Then 2 miles easy, then do the 6x200's again. Finish with 1.25 mi cool down. Ended up being a little over 8 miles. Honesty, the WU/CD seemed like the hardest part.

exercise.png
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @ROBOTFOOD Yikes. Dehydration is not anything to sneeze at. Hopefully you are better today. It was a beautiful sunset.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    August goal: 100 miles

8/1: 6.30 miles
    8/4: 11.06 miles
    8/6: 6.27 miles
    8/7: 6.26 miles
    8/8: 6.42 miles
    8/11: 10.21 miles
    8/13: 6.26 miles
    8/14: 6.26 miles
    8/15: 6.27 miles
    8/18: 10.11 miles
    8/20: 6.26 miles
    8/21: 6.26 miles
    8/22: 6.26 miles
    8/25: 10.31 miles
    8/27: 6.23 miles
    8/28: 7.11 miles

117.85/100 miles completed

I ran 7.11 miles this morning. It was a good run. It was a little cooler than it has been at right at 70°F, but there was 100% humidity, so it was definitely a sweat fest. It was ok though as long as I kept moving. I played Zombies Run and evaded all of the zombies. I saw a skunk at the park and I evaded him too, but there was no evading the gnats. I felt like they were stuck all over me!

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • zamirasoni
    zamirasoni Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Aug Goal-60 miles

8/2/19- 4.4
    8/3/19-7.4
    8/6/19-3.81
    8/7/19-4.49
    8/9/19-7.38
    8/13/19-4.53
    8/15/19- 4.12
    8/18/19-8.30
    8/21/19-4.05
    8/23/19-4.05
    8/25/19-5.48
    8/28/19-3.99

Today's run was a bit rough. My legs were heavy, no other way to describe it. Hope next run gets better.

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • zamirasoni
    zamirasoni Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile That sucks, I hope that with google and this group, you can pin point some options.