Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Maintaining easily vs maintaining a low weight

AddicteadAddictead Posts: 60Member Member Posts: 60Member Member
I feel myself getting frustrated, I've been eating at a slight deficit and I've lost roughly 2 pounds from some regain but lately it's been a kind of two step forward, one back situation. I eat at my deficit level, but then I have one-two days over maintenance and then I've netted maintenance for the week again. Which hey, I've stopped gaining so that's at least a win. But that is kind of what happens when I try to go below 130 or so, I can maintain 130-133 very easily. I maintained that level for MONTHS even between holidays. Though in my mind I'm so stuck on having to be +- 125, But every time I get that low I end up self sabotaging and regaining back up to 130-133. Would my quality of life or able to function be hindered by being 130-133? No. It's still within a healthy weight for my height(BMI 24) and my clothes fit fine, I feel good and think I look alright. It's just somehow I feel like being 130 is failure because of accidentally maintaining it for so long when 125 is "just" 5-7 pounds lighter why can't I stick it out?

I guess this is kind of my question to answer but I needed a rant.
«1

Replies

  • AddicteadAddictead Posts: 60Member Member Posts: 60Member Member
    CipherZero wrote: »
    It may have nothing to do with additional fat. Once you're in the "normal" range it's more helpful to look at body fat levels than absolute weight as a better guide.

    Yeah I was curious about that so I found out at 132 I have 23% BF which is within fitness, I have a hard time believing it but I guess that's a good place to be?
  • LivingtheLeanDreamLivingtheLeanDream Posts: 11,915Member Member Posts: 11,915Member Member
    You sound like me! I have to fight hard to stay 125-6 yet it's easier to sit at 130-131. But I feel too squidgy with those extra pounds so always make the effort to lose them.

    While recomp is probably a good idea I spent a few years doing that and the scale number still bothered me so now I stick with my preference of being in a certain weight range and do enough strength training to keep the muscle I've already achieved.

    Do what makes you happy. If you feel good at your current weight then allow yourself to be happy there. It's a personal choice.

    All the best.
    Ruth
  • AddicteadAddictead Posts: 60Member Member Posts: 60Member Member
    I read this differently. I think the issue is you can’t stay in deficit long enough to lose 5 more pounds. It might not be more difficult to maintain there once you actually get there. That’s the trick tho. You have to get there first. The actual cals to maintain at 5 pounds less are probably not that different.

    I've been 125 2 separate times, I know I can get there it just takes a lot of effort and I feel burnt out at the end of it and then It ends up not be sustainable
  • lorrpblorrpb Posts: 10,450Member Member Posts: 10,450Member Member
    How tall are you?
    It sounds like 130-135 is an ideal maintenance range for you!
  • AddicteadAddictead Posts: 60Member Member Posts: 60Member Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How tall are you?
    It sounds like 130-135 is an ideal maintenance range for you!

    5'2, I feel like most people my height want to be like 110-120 though
  • AddicteadAddictead Posts: 60Member Member Posts: 60Member Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Addictead wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How tall are you?
    It sounds like 130-135 is an ideal maintenance range for you!

    5'2, I feel like most people my height want to be like 110-120 though

    I'm 5'2.5 and weigh 130 as well. I'll just second everything @middlehaitch said, especially increasing NEAT. I'm losing at a rate of 1 pound a month, sometimes maintaining for weeks at a time. I am the proverbial turtle 🐢

    Slow and steady is easier and ultimately more successful than the constant up and down. BONUS - it's great practice for maintenance!

    You know from January to March I managed to get from 136 to 133 by eating basically maintaince calories(I think 1600 or 1700 on average, I was so surprised that I lost any thing) and just staying active. So maybe I do need to try that again, at worst I'll just maintain which would be perfect.
  • pinuplovepinuplove Posts: 12,593Member Member Posts: 12,593Member Member
    Addictead wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Addictead wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How tall are you?
    It sounds like 130-135 is an ideal maintenance range for you!

    5'2, I feel like most people my height want to be like 110-120 though

    I'm 5'2.5 and weigh 130 as well. I'll just second everything @middlehaitch said, especially increasing NEAT. I'm losing at a rate of 1 pound a month, sometimes maintaining for weeks at a time. I am the proverbial turtle 🐢

    Slow and steady is easier and ultimately more successful than the constant up and down. BONUS - it's great practice for maintenance!

    You know from January to March I managed to get from 136 to 133 by eating basically maintaince calories(I think 1600 or 1700 on average, I was so surprised that I lost any thing) and just staying active. So maybe I do need to try that again, at worst I'll just maintain which would be perfect.

    I think you'll find once you take the stress and immediacy out of the equation, you'll be much more relaxed about how long it might or might not take to lose those last few pounds :) Plus, it's just NICE to have a few more calories to play with!
  • elisa123galelisa123gal Posts: 3,588Member Member Posts: 3,588Member Member
    Addictead wrote: »
    I read this differently. I think the issue is you can’t stay in deficit long enough to lose 5 more pounds. It might not be more difficult to maintain there once you actually get there. That’s the trick tho. You have to get there first. The actual cals to maintain at 5 pounds less are probably not that different.

    I've been 125 2 separate times, I know I can get there it just takes a lot of effort and I feel burnt out at the end of it and then It ends up not be sustainable

    Then why don't you dedicate to lift weights and get smaller that way. It works for so many on here who end up weighing the same or a bit more but are so much more fit and smaller. Then with the lean muscle mass you get to eat more calories. a win win.
  • Lynzdee18Lynzdee18 Posts: 501Member Member Posts: 501Member Member
    Jubee13 wrote: »
    I think you need to decide if it’s really all that important to weigh a certain number on the scale. You say you feel and look good, so how much of a difference is 5 pounds going to make in your life? If you feel as though it will really make a difference for the better, then fight tooth and nail to get and stay there. If not, I’d stay where you are and live life to the fullest! In my opinion, life is just too short to agonize over 5 pounds!

    This is spot-on!

    I find that just eating more carbs for a few days while still controlling daily intake of calories can raise my scale 3 to 5 pounds. Dratted glycogen storage? Or if I miss steel cut oats two or three mornings....well you know..... Or something more salty than usual. Or not sleeping well for a few nights. That’s all it take to raise the scale in my case.

    I’m still trying to come to terms with that ideal weight as well. That thought of what about another 5 pounds- will it make me feel better. Perhaps it will but if it’s a struggle to reach and to stay, might want to rethink the magic number.

    Whatever you decide, you’ve done well and likely look quite amazing!
Sign In or Register to comment.