KFC is my problem!!

Has anyone any advice on how to stay away from KFC? I am totally addicted to it and could easily have one every single day, I know if I stayed away from it I could loss weight more easily but the trouble is I cant say no!! Anyone any advice to help me?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member
    Expand your palate. I must say though when I had KFC in Tennessee it was much nicer than the KFC in Canada, which is pretty much discussing and nicknamed dirty bird.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    I'd say - don't stay away, but do a slow redux. Going cold turkey is always hard, no matter if you're quitting smoking or eating!

Get smaller portions first. Then cut out one day a week, than another. Pretty soon it will turn into an occasional treat. Say you'll treat yourself every 2 - 3 weeks to a KFC meal, as a reward for example.

I bet any money though, after a while of not eating it you'll find it gives you nausea ;)
  • Sassy_Girl
    Sassy_Girl Posts: 19 Member
    I know the feeling your describing. There are certain places when you drive by you just feel the need to stop and eat. I have found what works for me is eating a low-cal snack and large glass of water or whatever your preference is before I know I will be driving by, so I am not hungry to start with (that keeps me in control, instead of the food in control) and I chew 'Extra' chewing gum and it helps curb the cravings too. Good luck :)
  • jwmsjr
    jwmsjr Posts: 4
    Just have the grilled chicken and green beans and mash potatoes without gravy. If you get this with 2 grilled legs the calorie count is 273 which isn't bad and could help eliminate the damage from eating there. Sometime I get stuck especially when driving long trips and only fast food is open so I always just try and minimize the damage by getting the lowest calorie choices.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    When I used to work at a liquor store, there was a KFC literally next door to us and a guy would get me KFC almost daily in exchange for couple of beers. This was before MFP. I started taking care of my health midway to my work there. Before I started getting "on track" to fitness, I used to eat it often. Then when I started caring, I'd give the chicken to my c-worker or one of the extremely poor customers we'd get daily or just flat out call him and tell him not to bring any since I brought something from home and am getting tired of eating KFC daily. It was extremely hard and took a LOT of self-control

Fast forward years later, similar situation except now I'm working late nights at the university, going to my buddies clubs almost daily and then hitting the diner after with friends. This time, I have a better tool. I log things to know how much i can/should be eating. I now factor in how much I can eat and keep control of my calories. In the start this was rough. I mean, who can just eat a burger after a night out and eat only half or the fries. Or ask the waitress to not bring any fries at all since you'll be eating the slice of cheesecake, right?

But you start it out. You try it. You often fail in the start. Then you get few succesful days. Then you fail again. But you HAVE to get back on track. THAT is the key. Stay persistent. You will make it a habit soon. Just TRY to have portion control and I guarantee you, months later it'll become a second nature to you.

Good luck
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    When I started this journey in 2010 I pretty much had to tell myself that ALL Fast Food was out (McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, KFC, etc). I still live by that mantra today. I rarely even rely on the more "healthy" fast food places any more (Subway, Chipotle, etc). If it didn't come from a grocery store and I didn't cook it, I didn't eat it. Motivated me to really change the way I ate. Things didn't come frozen any more - they came fresh. I cooked from scratch and didn't use boxes to prepare meals. It took a while to get to this point, but it's so worth it. I don't miss it at all.

I think there are just somethings you have to tell yourself NO to. Now, I still have vices, I'm still human. I allow myself some fun still, but the "bad food" I eat come from higher end restaurants (like last night the BF and I went out for burgers, I ate the whole thing and loved every minute of it). I couldn't go back to eating fast food burgers now. This is coming from the person that used to rely on fast food at least 7 times a week...
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Don't walk in?

Make your own at home?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    stop going to KFC and pack a lunch.....problem solved.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

Make your own at home?

good idea. i like making my own version of things at home, like chicken fingers and mac and cheese, etc.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member

Make your own at home?

good idea. i like making my own version of things at home, like chicken fingers and mac and cheese, etc.

IDK man, their potato fries they sell (I forgot what they're called. Those steak fry version of theirs) are seriously addicting. And their biscuit isn't bad either. And neither of those I can replicate at home :(

Plus, you know, the kernels secret recipe spices!!!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member

Make your own at home?

I make a meal called 'fake Nandos' at home - much healthier choices!
  • I LOVE fast food - of all kinds. I have had to just put a stop to it completely. For me it is too much - too much for my waist, my pocket book, and my socio/political sense. Plus I have small kids and really want to be a good roll model to them. I don't want to support an industry that has so many problems from how they pay and treat their employees while the owners get rich, rich, rich to the vile food practices and pollutants they produce. I try to think about those things when the temptation to hit the drive thru is strong. I also make sure I am not going too long between meals and am packing my own food - even snacks just when running errands.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    ^ Chicken kidneys FTW .
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    don't drive there?

like I don't get it. How do you not stop yourself from eating there?? I pack a lunch- I always pack a lunch- and it's usually more tasty than the crap people at work want to eat.
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    KFC is so darned delicious. My only thing I can say to try to get around that, is make your own grilled chicken at home. Which would be healthier for ya. It would also save you money as well.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Will power :happy:

Figure out some delicious meals that do fit your goals either at another restaurant or made at home.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Get a part time job there as a cook... After a couple of weeks you'll never eat it again.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Has anyone any advice on how to stay away from KFC? I am totally addicted to it and could easily have one every single day, I know if I stayed away from it I could loss weight more easily but the trouble is I cant say no!! Anyone any advice to help me?

If you are addicted to KFC. Buy ingredients and try to make it at home. Chicken breast and spices arent bad for you. Go ahead, cook it, eat it enjoy!!

Just dont eat a whole bucket of it!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Get a part time job there as a cook... After a couple of weeks you'll never eat it again.

eeeh I worked at Wendy's for 3 years and I still loooooooooooove it :smile:
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    KFC used to be my problem too. Seriously, I was a KFC fiend, until I read in the paper about a kidney that a student found in place of a chicken leg. I then had a google and discovered this isn't an uncommon case. I haven't touched KFC in over a year.

Wait....WHAT?!?!?!?!

Im no doctor, but how the HELL does a chicken kidney get inside its leg???

And for it to be common???

And those @$$holes have the nerve to charge me $9 for 3 lousy boneless pieces of chicken. I just quit KFC.

OP....see how easy that was? Boom..Done!