Instapot recipes please

blancoms
blancoms Posts: 165 Member
My sister bought me an instapot and I have yet to use it. Anyone care to share their low calorie meals? Or tips?
I'm short with metabolism issues so I try to keep to 1200 calories a day which makes it all the more difficult.
My husband always talks about losing a little weight (at most he probably could lose 20 pounds) but has no interest in "dieting" or counting calories. So if I can find some low calorie meals good enough for the whole family I can stop making 3 different dinners every night!

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    To be perfectly honest I would get Pinterest if you don’t already have it. You could spend weeks going through the numbers of recipes related to instapots and healthy low calorie meals on there. That way you can tailor your searches to ingredients your family enjoys.

I and many others could type up recipes here, and they wouldn’t suit your tastes and style of eating, necessarily. For that matter, different countries and regions have different foods available so - that too!

I don’t know what I’d do these days without Pinterest!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    edited August 2019
    I use mine a lot more in fall and winter, but during the warmer months my go-to is putting a bag of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts in, usually 5-6, chicken broth and seasoning. Manual-high for 22 minutes, then shred. Makes shredded chicken for the entire week! You can use it in eggs, tacos, plain, with cheese, in sandwiches, with bbq sauce, quesadillas, it's endless options.

Otherwise, totally recommend Pinterest!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I typically use mine for beans instead of buying canned beans. There's a great reference about that on Simply Recipes. I also made Pressure Cooker Garlicky Beans With Broccoli Rabe earlier this week. Very tasty.

There are also a ton of recipes for Indian food out there. I suspect the bulk are on facebook groups (not helpful for me as I'm not on facebook and have no desire to be on it again), but they're findable on various blogs as well if you search for them.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    @aokoye ooh yes! I make a delicious tikka masala in mine. Got the recipe on Pinterest!
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    I use my pressure cooker at least once a week (I only cook about 3x/week max.)
    It's great for chickpeas and dried beans. I do a kilo at a time and just freeze in bags after cooling. That way I've always got a protein source handy 👍
    Yesterday I made a huge soup of green beans, tomatoes, chilli peppers & courgettes in the pressure cooker and I'll add frozen chickpeas to it when I have my serving.
  • daveeinsd
    daveeinsd Posts: 2 Member
    Pork Short Ribs

2 pieces slices bacon, cut into 1" - I used olive oil to reduce fat and sodium
    5 lb bone - in short ribs (about 13 to 14 ribs) - I used country ribs and didn’t add the bacon due to sodium
    Kosher salt - I left this out for low sodium reasons
    Freshly ground black pepper
    4 Large shallots, quartered
    4 Large carrots, peeled and cut into 3" pieces
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes - increase or decrease depending on taste preferences
    6 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 star anise - not a fan so I left these out
    4 sprigs fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
    3 Tbsp tomato paste
    1 c. dry sherry - I used white wine
    2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
    2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce - low sodium if you have it
    2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 c. low - sodium beef broth

1. Season short ribs generously with salt and pepper and set aside. Set Instant Pot to Sauté setting. Once hot, add bacon and cook until lightly golden and fat is mostly rendered, 5 minutes. Remove bacon and set aside, leaving bacon fat in pot.
    Working in batches, sear ribs on all sides until caramelized, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

2. Add in shallots, carrots, celery, red pepper flakes, and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add in star anise, thyme, and tomato paste and stir until fragrant, 1 minute.

3. Add sherry, bring to a simmer, and use a wooden spoon to deglaze and scrape the caramelized bits off the bottom of the pot, 3 minutes.

4. Turn off Sauté function and add in sugar, Worcestershire, vinegar, broth, ribs, and cooked bacon. Season with salt, then lock lid and set to Pressure Cook on High for 45 minutes.

5. Let pot naturally release pressure for 15 minutes, then carefully complete depressurization using quick release. Remove ribs and set aside. Discard thyme and star anise.

6. Serve ribs with sauce and mashed potatoes, if desired.
  • Jessy1002
    Jessy1002 Posts: 5 Member
    One bag (16oz) dry black beans, 5 cups filtered water, 3 colorful bell peppers cut down into quarter inch chunks, 1/2 pound of cherry tomatos cut in half, two shallots minced, one large red onion diced, two fresh ears worth of corn kernels, 3 jalapeños, 1 tbsp cumin, salt and pepper throw it all in together and pressure cook on high for 32 minutes and let the pressure release on its own 🤤 so flavorful I usually eat it over cilantro lime rice (make rice and then squeeze a couple limes salt and cilantro on top) and I garnish with avocado, scallion onions and any variety of diced up fresh veggies. You could even put mango on top of it! ❤️
  • leonard41704
    leonard41704 Posts: 33 Member
    This is one of my favorite soups that I make in the IP. It is so good, that it won’t last long as leftovers. https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/slow-cooker-creamy-hamburger-tortellini-soup/. If you want other recipes, just enter your email and subscribe to receive recipes weekly.

Download the Yummly App to your phone. There are a tremendous amount of healthy recipes on there. My family loves what I’ve been cooking for them. My daughters’ friends love having dinner as well.