Protein Leverage Hypothesis

Options
I recently switched to a macro-counting approach, and the added protein in my diet seems to really be blunting my cravings and desire to overeat. My whole life I've eaten an average of 50-60g of protein a day and now I'm eating 115g. This has me doing research on why that might be. I've run across the Protein Leverage Hypothesis

Basically it states:
"Stated most simply “the protein leverage hypothesis (PLH) predicts that humans prioritize protein when regulating food intake.” In plain English protein leverage speculates that we are driven to consume food until we meet our minimum protein or amino acid needs. The real-world implication is that if we don’t consume adequate protein we will overconsume foods high in carbohydrates and/or fats in a subconscious effort to obtain those critical amino acids. As one nutritionist and science writer put it “the amount of protein you eat could determine the total energy consumption since the appetite for protein is so strong that we keep eating until we get to our target protein intake. If we eat an unbalanced diet that contains a low percentage of protein we increase the total energy ingestion in order to get to our target protein intake."

https://blog.designsforhealth.com/the-protein-leverage-hypothesis

This is really blowing my mind and revolutionizing the way I think about food and dieting. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, many people on here find that protein improves their satiety. Not to mention it is essential to retaining/building muscle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Could be true; if it has serious credibility, I'm sure the nutrition-research folks are chipping away at confirming or disproving it.

For sure, many people (including me) find adequate protein to be part of what's needed to reach satiation, especially on limited calories.

But the main thing, IMO, is that if you're finding that your current way of eating makes eating more manageable for you personally, while keeping you healthy and strong, that's all a person really needs. At n=1, scientific justification is interesting, but optional. ;)

Now, if you were preaching "one true way to success" for others, I'd be asking for research cites. But you're not. :flowerforyou:

Best wishes!
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Even if it's true, it's definitely not the whole story and not the only thing that drives overweight.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    Protein helps increase satiation for a number of people, yes.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    A lot of people find that protein helps them feel full. It doesn't work that way for everyone; some people find that fat and/or fiber help more with satiation, and a few people even feel satiated when they eat carbs.

Some people crave protein, and feel happiest when they enjoy a big steak or other high protein food. Other people have that emotional response to other foods.

If you feel satiated, then it's likely easier to stay in a calorie deficit. If you get to eat foods that make you happy, then it's likely easier to stick with your deficit long term. A calorie deficit is still what ultimately causes weight loss.

Overall, there isn't much scientific evidence regarding the protein leverage hypothesis. Maybe there's something to it, maybe not; we don't really have enough studies to know.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    As a life long disliker of meat in all forms (texture mostly, but also smell and taste play their part this explains my unfortunate love affair with cheese! 😉

Seriously though, this is a fascinating hypothesis. I fully intend to explore the concept more. I’m never one to buy into believing such things but this one does have me curious!