Grunting in the gym

13»

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    The toyboy will sometimes literally roar as he struggles through the final rep. But that's at 100+k, and in the privacy of our own home. It does seem to help, weirdly. I call it channelling Arnold.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    There’s grunting under strain of a lift, then there’s being an obnoxious idiot. I’ve no problem with the former - it’s going to be hard to pull a twice-body weight deadlift for reps without noise. Dropping the same deadlift from waist height on purpose is a dick move and a failed lift.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    CipherZero wrote: »
    There’s grunting under strain of a lift, then there’s being an obnoxious idiot. I’ve no problem with the former - it’s going to be hard to pull a twice-body weight deadlift for reps without noise. Dropping the same deadlift from waist height on purpose is a dick move and a failed lift.

This. 100%.

I've had squat attempts that would not have gone up without a grunt (or a yell).

But the douche canoe at the gym yesterday who was grunting on every rep of his 250 lb deadlift, and crashing it down each time... :s
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    I wonder if my midwife thought I was being obnoxious and attention seeking...

Mike drop
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member

Depends...how much weight were you...ah....pushing?

leaving now....
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Depends...how much weight were you...ah....pushing?

leaving now....

That little Dumbbell was 10 pounds 12 ounces :D

omg lol. My daughter's was 10lbs even and all I can say is Bless your heart :D
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    There’s no need for grunting. What I’ve seen is it’s people with ego who want noticed!

giphy.gif

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    There’s no need for grunting. What I’ve seen is it’s people with ego who want noticed!

I must have a gigantic ego then :D

Me too, only I dont want to be noticed and try hard not to grunt. But when I'm in heavy week and lifting near my max I cant help it. Plus my trainer actually gets me to make a noise sometimes so I work on breathing at the right time
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,939 Member
    Grunting while lifting heavy, no problems here; I sometimes do, unless I make a point of exhaling hard instead. Dropping the weights, don't mind on free weights but machines minor irritation, only minor.

What irks me is seeing somebody setting up for a lift, having a spotter for safety which I totally applaud. Proceeds to crank out a rep where the spotter appears to be exerting himself just as hard as the lifter. Then instead of racking the weight, the lifter proceeds into ANOTHER REP. I'm like dude, if you're not strong enough to do it by yourself, you certainly aren't strong enough to do it multiple times.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Maybe it's the gyms I have belonged to, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone grunt for attention. I also don't think I've seen or heard anyone dropping weights other than while performing an Olympic lifts with bumper plates and a platform.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I don't grunt it's more like a high pitched woo! :)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Maybe it's the gyms I have belonged to, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone grunt for attention. I also don't think I've seen or heard anyone dropping weights other than while performing an Olympic lifts with bumper plates and a platform.

We have a 17 year old kid at our gym who would drop the weights on every set of deadlifts.

A couple of the 'old timers' had a brief conversation with him.

.... he no longer drops weights.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    I don't do crossfit, but I've seen videos of some of the competitions and it seems like dropping weights (even deadlifts) is pretty common there, so you probably have people who learned weightlifting in a crossfit box move to a normal gym and not realize that it isn't quite approved of.

The only time I've seen people drop weights (bumper plates) at my gym is when people are done with squats and want to deadlift and don't want to take all the weights off to get the bar to the ground.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    I don't do crossfit, but I've seen videos of some of the competitions and it seems like dropping weights (even deadlifts) is pretty common there, so you probably have people who learned weightlifting in a crossfit box move to a normal gym and not realize that it isn't quite approved of.

The only time I've seen people drop weights (bumper plates) at my gym is when people are done with squats and want to deadlift and don't want to take all the weights off to get the bar to the ground.

Yeah. Method of training is an issue. I volunteered at a Strongman competition where they had to do Powerlifting-type deads (you can't drop the bar with Powerlifting). It really threw them off. They train to drop the bar, apparently.