August Maintainers Back On Track

2»

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    Not much to report here either. Managing to hang on to just a pound under scream weight, which is 15# above goal weight and 25# above lowest weight. I’m at a serious mental crossroads about what to do from here. Oddly, summer is always harder for me, but I’m feeling a little out of control.

Good for you re: Scream Weight!!🎉

Summer is always the hardest for me, too. The heat, the heat!

What are you thinking are your options at the crossroads?
  • bettina8037
    bettina8037 Posts: 34 Member
    Name: bettina
    How long in maintenance: 6 months or so
    Goal maintenance range: 128-132
    Current weight: 134
    Current goal: 130
    Recent success: my weight continues to trend down and my clothes are all fitting looser. On vacation I have done lots of portion control and lots of walking and exercise as well while still enjoying treats. Not logging because it's too much guesswork
    Strategy for your goal: continue getting in long walks, runs, and weight training. Start logging again when back from vacation. Keep post dinner snacks small

You guys are all doing great!!
  • MoTownSweat
    MoTownSweat Posts: 26 Member
    Name: Meg
    How long in maintenance 1.5 years
    Goal maintenance: 122-124
    Current weight: 128
    Recent success: Getting back on myfitnesspal
    Strategy: integrate a HIIT workout into my morning routine
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,935 Member
    I posted this somewhere else, but it really belongs here because... BACK ON TRACK!

Please let me apologize because this post is a bit self-serving. Um.... more than a bit. But it's also something I am celebrating.

I've been on MFP for 18 months. I was pretty steady and consistent for the first six or eight months, and I got near my goal weight. Then last fall I put a little back on and have been in and out of my goal range since then. I expanded my goal range to be ten pounds instead of seven. Back in January, I briefly got even over that weight. Since then I've SLOWLY been getting back to goal. I've looked at graphs, and they show what looks like a modified sine wave. That says I'm maintaining at least to some degree. The thing that I just realized is that since January, that sine wave is moving down again so it's fluctuating at or near my goal. That's better than fluctuating five pounds over my goal, which is what it was doing for a while. Many of us know how frustrating that last five or six pounds can be. I'm here to tell you that with patience, persistence, and permission to stray from the course every now and then, it is possible!

Anyway, I just happened to be looking at some time series on Trendweight.com. I hadn't looked back to the beginning for a while, and it made me feel more like I'm successful in my journey than just luffing. Sometimes it's CRITICAL to luff -- just got to get air back in the sails at some point. We can all do this!

The past month looks pretty good. I'm not yet convinced it's true because August 3-9 are interpolated from my weight before and after my dive trip was essentially unchanged. It's bounced since then, so no reason to think it didn't bounce on the boat. Send me back!

hpzo0eg6860t.png

Looking back three months, I can see where I gave myself permission to be a little gluttonous on a couple river trips and at Oregon Country Fair. Send me back! I can also see that I was able to stop the upward trend and get back TOWARDS where I need to be. We can do this, and together we will!

8j30rpg4mo5m.png

Looking back SIX months, it looks like I really slipped for a while with a slow, steady increase that went back to May. Must have been some good times back then! I also see that I was doing REALLY well during most of the spring. That's something to celebrate, so I'm writing it here.

c3nrdkymieme.png

You can guess where this is going. I looked at a one-year chart. I start to see that sine wave develop. I see a dip down to my goal range, but one that doesn't stick. I see the fall/winter gain followed by bouncing back around near my goal and another SMALL increase in the past couple months that APPEARS to be resolving. It's a work in progress, just like yours!

v9rjnet99zjn.png

Finally I decided to look back to January 2018 when I started MFP. Leaping Leopards, I've got something to celebrate! It almost looks like I've been successfully maintaining at or near my goal range for a full year after that initial success in dropping extra mass.

wtpeh8x4xryl.png

Last year when I was on the dive boat, I got down to 16 pounds of lead. It was a new drysuit that isn't buoyant, but still.... I started with 22 pounds because that's what I ended the trip with in 2016. In 2014, I had 25 pounds. That's all a success! I added a little weight this year because I got new fins that are positively buoyant. I was dialed in with 18-19 pounds. With 18 pounds, I had to be very careful at my safety stop with a nearly empty cylinder. If I didn't stay relaxed, I would drift to the surface. With 19 pounds, it was PERFECT even at the end of the dive. I'm contemplating a WARM WATER dive trip this winter. Never really done that before! I should be able to get away with a 3mm shorty. I'd love to dive with just board shorts, and then I wouldn't even really need a BCD.

I hope YOU can also celebrate the milestones on your journey. A high-five and fist bump if you can. Give yourself some credit for your success even if there's hiccups along the way. And let's stick to it and keep on this journey!

• Nijntjepleintje
    Nijntjepleintje Posts: 17 Member
    Name: Nijntje
    How long in maintenance: around 1 year
    Goal maintenance range: 112-118
    Trendweight 10th August: 119.4
    Trendweight 17th August: 120.8
    Current goal: 116
    Recent successes: n/a :(
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Scale is still derping around. Love that water weight.
  • nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I posted this somewhere else, but it really belongs here because... BACK ON TRACK!

Please let me apologize because this post is a bit self-serving. Um.... more than a bit. But it's also something I am celebrating.

I've been on MFP for 18 months. I was pretty steady and consistent for the first six or eight months, and I got near my goal weight. Then last fall I put a little back on and have been in and out of my goal range since then. I expanded my goal range to be ten pounds instead of seven. Back in January, I briefly got even over that weight. Since then I've SLOWLY been getting back to goal. I've looked at graphs, and they show what looks like a modified sine wave. That says I'm maintaining at least to some degree. The thing that I just realized is that since January, that sine wave is moving down again so it's fluctuating at or near my goal. That's better than fluctuating five pounds over my goal, which is what it was doing for a while. Many of us know how frustrating that last five or six pounds can be. I'm here to tell you that with patience, persistence, and permission to stray from the course every now and then, it is possible!

Anyway, I just happened to be looking at some time series on Trendweight.com. I hadn't looked back to the beginning for a while, and it made me feel more like I'm successful in my journey than just luffing. Sometimes it's CRITICAL to luff -- just got to get air back in the sails at some point. We can all do this!

The past month looks pretty good. I'm not yet convinced it's true because August 3-9 are interpolated from my weight before and after my dive trip was essentially unchanged. It's bounced since then, so no reason to think it didn't bounce on the boat. Send me back!

hpzo0eg6860t.png

Looking back three months, I can see where I gave myself permission to be a little gluttonous on a couple river trips and at Oregon Country Fair. Send me back! I can also see that I was able to stop the upward trend and get back TOWARDS where I need to be. We can do this, and together we will!

8j30rpg4mo5m.png

Looking back SIX months, it looks like I really slipped for a while with a slow, steady increase that went back to May. Must have been some good times back then! I also see that I was doing REALLY well during most of the spring. That's something to celebrate, so I'm writing it here.

c3nrdkymieme.png

You can guess where this is going. I looked at a one-year chart. I start to see that sine wave develop. I see a dip down to my goal range, but one that doesn't stick. I see the fall/winter gain followed by bouncing back around near my goal and another SMALL increase in the past couple months that APPEARS to be resolving. It's a work in progress, just like yours!

v9rjnet99zjn.png

Finally I decided to look back to January 2018 when I started MFP. Leaping Leopards, I've got something to celebrate! It almost looks like I've been successfully maintaining at or near my goal range for a full year after that initial success in dropping extra mass.

wtpeh8x4xryl.png

Last year when I was on the dive boat, I got down to 16 pounds of lead. It was a new drysuit that isn't buoyant, but still.... I started with 22 pounds because that's what I ended the trip with in 2016. In 2014, I had 25 pounds. That's all a success! I added a little weight this year because I got new fins that are positively buoyant. I was dialed in with 18-19 pounds. With 18 pounds, I had to be very careful at my safety stop with a nearly empty cylinder. If I didn't stay relaxed, I would drift to the surface. With 19 pounds, it was PERFECT even at the end of the dive. I'm contemplating a WARM WATER dive trip this winter. Never really done that before! I should be able to get away with a 3mm shorty. I'd love to dive with just board shorts, and then I wouldn't even really need a BCD.

I hope YOU can also celebrate the milestones on your journey. A high-five and fist bump if you can. Give yourself some credit for your success even if there's hiccups along the way. And let's stick to it and keep on this !

Please do not apologize for celebrating your successes! The purpose of these discussions is to help each other stay on track and stay encouraged. One way is to share our struggles, but another important way is to share our celebrations. So thank you very much for sharing!

And good timing because this is exactly what I was looking at right before reading your post. On my BMI app, I can see clearly how my weight started moving up between April and July 2019. However, you can also see that I’ve stayed within my normal BMI for the past 11 months AND I am trending back down again this month. I know I can do this!

And by the way, I also love these MBT discussions because it means I can unload with all these details, both good and bad, with people sharing the same experience. Thus freeing up other people from having to hear all of this (my husband, coworkers, friends, daughter). So thanks everyone!

• nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    Name: Elaine
    How long in maintenance: Since October 2018
    Goal maintenance range: 128-134
    Current weight: 137.5
    Current goal: Reach my goal range before my birthday on September 19th, which is about one pound a week.

Recent success:
    This was my first five day week with my lunch salads! I lost 1.5 pounds this week.

Strategy for your goal:
    1. Eat fruit after dinner instead of sweets.
    ✅ Did that this week and mostly just ate nothing.
    2. Meditate every morning.
    😊 Got four days in
    3. Log food/exercise in my diet app (I’m in a different program than MFP but still like to use MFP for weigh ins and discussions).
    ✅ 7 out of 7 days logged.
    4. Exercise at least ten minutes a day.
    😞 only one walk this week.
  • bettina8037
    bettina8037 Posts: 34 Member
    Name: bettina
    How long in maintenance: 8 months or so
    Goal maintenance range: 128-132
    Current weight: 133
    Current goal: 130
    Recent success: seeing 132 and 133 on the scale this week has been encouraging. My skinny jeans still fit too tight though 😬 hopefully at 130 they will fit right again. Didnt gain on vacation which was great!
    Strategy for your goal: sticking to 1800 calories and increasing my protein.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,935 Member
    HEAVIEST weight: 175.4 in early 2013.
    Total Weight lost: 30 pounds
    Time it took to lose: ~6 months
    How long in maintenance: Since July 2018 -- but with some fluctuation outside of goal range.
    Maintenance weight range: 142 - 148 (and not sure that's the right answer)

Average weight recorded from 2017 (12 months): 163.8
    Average weight recorded from 2018 (12 months): 150.7

Average weight recorded from January: 148.4
    Average weight recorded from February: 146.3
    Average weight recorded from March: 143.2
    Average weight recorded from April: 143.0
    Average weight recorded from May: 144.1
    Average weight recorded from June: 145.6
    Average weight recorded from July: 146.5

Average weight Week of...
    July 29 - August 4: 144.6
    August 5 - 11: 144.2 (only average of August 10 & 11 as I was away on a dive trip and nowhere near a scale most of the week)
    August 12 - 18: 145.6
    August 19 - 25: 147.6
    August 26 - September 1: 145.3

Success of the week: I never went out of my maintenance range. My weight has been coming back down. Today I hit my goal weight again, but I think I'm dehydrated.

Struggle of the week: The struggle starts today. I'm going to a big party that's held twice every five years. I'm going to eat and drink. Lots. And then some. Join me!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Is there a September thread?

I was briefly posting on this August one.

An update for me, after 5 weeks of a lot of scale movement upwards rather than downwards (was trending at 132 for most of August and early Sept) I'm now back at the high end of my maintenance weight 130. Am aiming to get to 125-126 in the coming months.

It can be disheartening at times but stick with it, keep consistently at deficit and it will pay off.