How accurate are most of the exercise calorie burns on this site?

Options
2»

Replies

• coffeexxeyes
    coffeexxeyes Posts: 35 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    But then again, you aren't his nutritionist, so there's that. You have no idea what calorie goals his nutritionist may have set for him. Like him, I also don't track my calorie burns, only how often I exercise. It's working wonderfully for me. Just because you don't like the method doesn't make it wrong. I still track my calories in MFP, though. You dont need to let MFP create your calorie goal in order for it to be a useful tool.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    But then again, you aren't his nutritionist, so there's that. You have no idea what calorie goals his nutritionist may have set for him. Like him, I also don't track my calorie burns, only how often I exercise. It's working wonderfully for me. Just because you don't like the method doesn't make it wrong. I still track my calories in MFP, though. You dont need to let MFP create your calorie goal in order for it to be a useful tool.

Lots of people use the TDEE method to set calorie goals and then still log and track through MFP. You’re right that can be a very effective tool.

That is different than saying exercise calories can’t be estimated reliably so ignore them all. One would hope that a nutritionist worth his or her accreditation (which many can be obtained in a weekend of online courses) would explain the difference in how a calorie goal was calculated to their clients so they better understood the process. As I read the poster in question, you’re right we have no idea if TDEE was used and exercise was factored in but if it was then that should be explained instead of advising people on a site where exercise is NOT factored in to just ignore the estimated burns.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

But hope you realise you ARE estimating your exercise calories - look up the descriptions in the TDEE calculator you used and your will see it covers both general activity and exercise.

That people can be successful using the TDEE method which not only estimates what your workouts are but also the duration in advance should reinforce to people that the myth that imperfect estimates don't work is completely false.

It's the nature of the skill of estimating on both calories in and calories out that it accomodates imprecise estimates.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    pmdonnelly wrote: »
    This answer may not satisfy your question, but my nutritionist has recommended that I enter "0" for exercise. This is because the "calories burned" number is so imperfect. I find that by entering 0 and sticking with my calorie target to be more effective. If you have to, add 300 calories to your active days and see how that works. Listen to what your body is telling you.

Is your nutritionist aware that MFP uses NEAT rather than TDEE?

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1