Is it okay to workout before eating??

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Okay all of you are saying it's fine so I don't feel quite so bad about it anymore lol
    I've always heard stuff like, take a protein shake RIGHT AFTER your workout and eat before a workout or you'll pass out and all that blah de blah. lol
    I just wanna be healthy while losing weight. I'm not starving myself cuz I DO eat when I get hungry but not til then

Not to derail things too much, but that's not always a reliable gauge. It's easy for a lot of people to under-eat if they only eat when they are hungry (and based on one of your other posts, this sounds like a possibility for you).

With 100ish lbs to lose, you've got a lot of leeway here, but at some point "eating when hungry" may not be the best approach for you.
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Okay all of you are saying it's fine so I don't feel quite so bad about it anymore lol
    I've always heard stuff like, take a protein shake RIGHT AFTER your workout and eat before a workout or you'll pass out and all that blah de blah. lol
    I just wanna be healthy while losing weight. I'm not starving myself cuz I DO eat when I get hungry but not til then

Not to derail things too much, but that's not always a reliable gauge. It's easy for a lot of people to under-eat if they only eat when they are hungry (and based on one of your other posts, this sounds like a possibility for you).

With 100ish lbs to lose, you've got a lot of leeway here, but at some point "eating when hungry" may not be the best approach for you.

well if i eat when I'm not hungry, I get sick. :/
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning and never eat before I workout. However I am diabetic so I take a granola bar with me so that if I need something I have it. I try to have something with protein after I am done. If I don't eat within an hour of working out I feel faint, goes back to being diabetic. But you know your body so listen to it.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Well I just started working out. so I'm only getting in 30 min at the gym.... I have fibromyaglia so my feet start to hurt on the elliptical around 10 min so I go til I can't take it any more which is around 15 min. And then I get off and do about 15 min weights...
    I'm really hoping losing some weight will help my feet stop hurting.. cuz I'm thinking it's cuz I'm so heavy ya know?

I have my best runs in the morning before eating. Eat when you are hungry.

I also wanted to say the quote really reminded me of me a few years back. My feet hurt so much, I could barely walk, let alone ever think about cute shoes. My advice get fitted for walking shoes, so to a specialty running store tell them about your pain and the exercise you do. After time, the exercise that I did strengthed my feet and I am with out pain (and I run now)! Go slow but keep going.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    In the Army, you do Physical Training at 6:30 and have breakfast after.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a banana about a half hour before I work out, anything more than that makes me nauseous. Then I make sure to eat after and get lots of protein!