Upper Body Help. Please

Options
Since April, I have been steadily losing pounds (in a non-linear way) and I have been walking... and walking... and walking. I have seen an increase in stamina, hills have become my friends and I have started a C25K because I don't have time to walk any farther.

That is all good.

However, aside from periodically attempting a very poor plank, I have done nothing for my upper body. What can I do for the rest of me that doesn't involve a gym membership? My arms and core need help.

Replies

• ethantelfer39
    ethantelfer39 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Push ups. Pull ups. Crunches.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Mountain climbers, leg raises,
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I second the push ups , pull ups and crunches. and get yourself some dumbbells. I work out my full body with dumbbells and and a basic bench, along with push ups pull ups and crunches.
  • JoshuaBelden
    JoshuaBelden Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like @nighthawk584 suggestion with dumbbells. Also, kettlebells will offer you some diversity in the exercises you can incorporate into a routine. Nothing but mountain climbers and burpees are going to get old real fast. :smiley:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Nordic skiing. Double poll.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    bodyweight exercises.
  • lancejohnston523
    lancejohnston523 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    BodyWeight Routines
    You are your own gym
    Convict Conditioning
    Nerd Fitness Beginner Body Weight Routine
    StrongCurves BootyFul
    AthleanX

I agree
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I tried a lot of "beginner" programs and in my opinion, they really aren't. Perhaps it's my age and various physical challenges. However, I since discovered The RBG Workout: How She Stays Strong . . . and You Can Too!, which I started with just a few dumb bells and a resistance band. I've since added a bench and this dumb bell set:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RNW3OQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SDGS-150R__40693.1459893338.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I’m a recent convert to the resistance band after having been given one during physiotherapy to help a chronic shoulder issue (trying to put off the necessary surgery if I’m honest - scared!)
    There’s almost no limit to what you can work on using one and it’s an ideal start because you can make it as easy or as hard as you wish and feel ready for. Cheap and absolutely minimal storage needed!
  • shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I thank all of you for your input. I didn't realize taking this next step would be so scary but luckily there seem to be a lot of options.
    @kshama2001 I'm going to read that book even if its just because I am a RBG fan.
    @BarbaraHelen2013 I have been thinking about the resistance bands and at my age (53), I need an easy start.
    @erickirb Nerds! I am a nerd. Fitness training for nerd. How cool is that?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I like HASfit for strength training that can be done at home.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love yoga for upper body and also if you can get a bit of casual work in physical labour like farm work that helps