Why this chicken breast nutrition label is only 10g of protein per 100g?

Options
MerueM1
MerueM1 Posts: 4 Member
edited August 2019 in Food and Nutrition
lsviep6pncvn.jpeg
If i’m not mistaken protein/100g chicken breast is around 24g, so why this one only contain 10g of protein?

Replies

• MerueM1
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My best guess, looking at that package is water weight and the salt. Looks to me as if it might have been pumped full of brine to increase the weight/cost ratio. Seems like a lot of difference though, so I’m possibly way off base there!

So this is like an process food? Wish i bought a regular chicken breast instead of this. :s
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Because it has all those things in it a chicken is not born with. Extra water? Salt? Stabilizer? Flavour enhancer? And wrapped in some plastic rubbish. Can't get much better...
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Buy fresh chicken from here on out.
  • nighthawk584
    edited August 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If it is brined they have done you a big favor because it will be more moist when you cook it and brining yourself can be a pain if you don't have much refrigerator space to spare.

you can do a quick brine in warm water and salt for 30 minutes , right before you cook it. Comes out great. Just make sure to rinse the chicken well after brining
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    lots of water making it heavier and that portion would not have cal, fat or carbs. then there is also the stabilizer (whatever that is) .. just chicken breast would also not have 3.1 grams of carbs.

so, out of that 100grams, about 40-45 grams is chicken (based on the 24 grams protein per 100g) most of the other 55-60 grams would be the water added
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    3.2g of sodium per 100g. That is salty chicken.

Fresh chicken breast is around 0.05g according to the Asda website.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If it is brined they have done you a big favor because it will be more moist when you cook it and brining yourself can be a pain if you don't have much refrigerator space to spare.

you can do a quick brine in warm water and salt for 30 minutes , right before you cook it. Comes out great. Just make sure to rinse the chicken well after brining

I doubt that a quick brine would be as effective but I am sure it helps. At the very least it probably seasons the bird thoroughly which is often a missed step from my experience of eating other people's cooking over the years.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    That looks like rehydrated chicken jerky. The flavor enhancer is probably MSG, so be wary if you are sensitive to it. And that salt count is outrageous. I don't even think the saltiest Virginia Country ham would have that much salt.
  • erickirb
    edited August 2019
    Options
    That looks like rehydrated chicken jerky. The flavor enhancer is probably MSG, so be wary if you are sensitive to it. And that salt count is outrageous. I don't even think the saltiest Virginia Country ham would have that much salt.

aslo, in what world is 3200 mg of sodium 3% of daily intake, should that not be 200%.. something is def off with that label, maybe should be 0.32 grams of sodium (320 mgs??)
  • nighthawk584
    Options

I doubt that a quick brine would be as effective but I am sure it helps. At the very least it probably seasons the bird thoroughly which is often a missed step from my experience of eating other people's cooking over the years.

It works for me, and cooking in air fryer , taking it out at 165 degrees. never had a dry breast.
  • MerueM1
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

aslo, in what world is 3200 mg of sodium 3% of daily intake, should that not be 200%.. something is def off with that label, maybe should be 0.32 grams of sodium (320 mgs??)

Yeah i think it’s 0.32grams? cuz it’s not taste like 3200mg of sodium not salty at all and i feel like i’m eating a regular chicken breast with a salt added.

Gonna skip this if it’s really 3.2g of sodium per 100g don’t think i will risk my diet for this chicken.

Thank you all for very useful information !
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,715 MFP Moderator
    Options
    E451 (i) is Penta sodium tri phosphate, so the stabilizer is basically another salt. ;)

I agree 3.2 grams of sodium sounds too high, but if they are trying to comply with EU labeling perhaps they meant 3.2 grams of salt. Most EU labels use salt, not sodium, which can be confusing.

...In fact when I google translate the Arabic text, it says they mean salt.

Converting grams of salt to milligrams of sodium:
    1 g of salt = about 413 mg of sodium
    3.2 g of salt = about 1,322 mg of sodium per 100g of chicken breast

Honestly, I would try to buy fresh chicken and freeze it yourself, or look for one that doesn't have so much water and salt added.
  • MerueM1
    Options
    E451 (i) is Penta sodium tri phosphate, so the stabilizer is basically another salt. ;)

I agree 3.2 grams of sodium sounds too high, but if they are trying to comply with EU labeling perhaps they meant 3.2 grams of salt. Most EU labels use salt, not sodium, which can be confusing.

...In fact when I google translate the Arabic text, it says they mean salt.

Converting grams of salt to milligrams of sodium:
    1 g of salt = about 413 mg of sodium
    3.2 g of salt = about 1,322 mg of sodium per 100g of chicken breast

Honestly, I would try to buy fresh chicken and freeze it yourself, or look for one that doesn't have so much water and salt added.

Glad i post here thank you for very detailed and informative answer.

Lesson learned from now on i will buy fresh chicken 🙏
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    lots of water making it heavier and that portion would not have cal, fat or carbs. then there is also the stabilizer (whatever that is) .. just chicken breast would also not have 3.1 grams of carbs.

so, out of that 100grams, about 40-45 grams is chicken (based on the 24 grams protein per 100g) most of the other 55-60 grams would be the water added

Except that plain, raw, skinless, boneless chicken breast is, like most foods other than pure fats and sugar, mostly water. There is about 74 grams of water in 100 g of plain, unbrined, raw, skinless, boneless chicken breast. It looks like they've added less than 10 grams of water in the form of brining solution per 100 g of end product.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/05062?fgcd=&manu=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=Chicken,+broiler+or+fryers,+breast,+skinless,+boneless,+meat+only,+raw&ds=SR&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

• erickirb
    edited August 2019
    Options

Except that plain, raw, skinless, boneless chicken breast is, like most foods other than pure fats and sugar, mostly water. There is about 74 grams of water in 100 g of plain, unbrined, raw, skinless, boneless chicken breast. It looks like they've added less than 10 grams of water in the form of brining solution per 100 g of end product.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/05062?fgcd=&manu=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=Chicken,+broiler+or+fryers,+breast,+skinless,+boneless,+meat+only,+raw&ds=SR&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

But to lower protein from 24 grams/100g to 10/100, tells me that water greater than 55 grams was added, otherwise protein would be 22 grams if they only added 10grams of water.

So in this case out of the 100 grams:
    3.1g carbs (carbs in chicken??, what did they add to this thing)
    10g protein (this would be 100/24*10 or 41.7 grams of chicken breast including fat, protein and water)
    2.2g fat
    3.2g salt
    81.5g water

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Is there water in the package separate from the chicken? If so, they could be counting that water as part of the weight as well. So 50g of water and 50g of chicken would make it closer. Things like salt and stabilizers are still small and wouldn't drastically affect the protein content.

Here is one thing I've learned living outside of the US: Nutrition labels tend to be more likely to have large errors. I get shrimp here that has about half the protein listed of normal USDA shrimp listings. I trust the USDA listing over the packaging in these cases. There is already one glaring error on this label (3.2g of sodium being 3 percent daily value), so there certainly could be others.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If u wanna chicken breasts high in proteins choose the ones called tender they contains from 30 to 33g of protein per 100g and tastes really good

• MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    sxafs2827g39.jpg
    Here is an example