Carbs in Shrimp? Im confused

Options
So I started the keto diet and got shrimp thinking it was 0gs of carbs according to the app but I picked up Walmart raw frozen shrimp and it says its 2g of carbs per 6 shrimp, like how? Every other source says shrimp are 0 carbs. Help me figure this out.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Some listings for shrimp have 0 carbs, some have 1 carb. This is the first one I have seen with 2. But a gram of carb is such a finite measurement that there really could be a lot of reasons for such a miniscule difference. It also could be a label error. I really would not worry about it even in the slightest, even on Keto.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    the usda says there's no carbs in shrimp
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/15270

are there other ingredients perhaps?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    the usda says there's no carbs in shrimp
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/15270

are there other ingredients perhaps?

The ones in the OP package have to be cooked for that calorie count.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Octopus has carbs - I was very surprised when I found out after logging it. I haven't come across carbs in my shrimp entries yet though - neither the frozen packet from the supermarket or the generic entry for the stuff I buy fresh at the fish shop.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Disclaimer...not a scientist, but I think I can read on the ingredients panel on the pack the addition of sodium tripolyphosphate? Apparently it’s a white powder that’s added, mostly to seafood, to make it look ‘plumper’ by causing water retention. Also makes it weigh more, so you pay more! I’m just wondering if it’s that that is causing the carbohydrate number, though a quick google doesn’t say it’s a carb, but it doesn’t say it isn’t either! Most of the data on it is too science-y for me to make a lot of sense out of, and info is more concerned with it’s safety as an additive. 🤷‍♀️

• fearluna
    fearluna Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Some listings for shrimp have 0 carbs, some have 1 carb. This is the first one I have seen with 2. But a gram of carb is such a finite measurement that there really could be a lot of reasons for such a miniscule difference. It also could be a label error. I really would not worry about it even in the slightest, even on Keto.

But I am a bit worried, like what is Walmart up too? What are putting into my foods that I careless didnt read?? Ya’know?

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    fearluna wrote: »

But I am a bit worried, like what is Walmart up too? What are putting into my foods that I careless didnt read?? Ya’know?

I can't read the last ingredient in your picture, but it's something to retain moisture. Perhaps that's where an extra carb or two come from. I don't do low carb, so I've never micromanaged any macro to the point I'd notice an extra 1 or 2 grams, so I'm not sure.

I doubt anyone is "up to" anything. :smile: : There's lots of rounding of numbers in labeling, and a small bit of an additive can take a number that's usually rounded down to 1 and now it's rounded up to 2.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I can't read the label well. According to the USDA database, there are no carbs in shrimp, so either something that was added is giving carbs or the label is wrong.

ETA disregard, use this listing instead:
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    Actually the USDA listing for "Crustaceans, shrimp, mixed species, raw (may contain additives to retain moisture)" (15149) does show some carbs... 1.02 in 112g (serving size of the label you shared). Since the product you shared has additives this listing is probably more accurate then the aforementioned listings.
  • kshama2001
    edited August 2019
    Options
    fearluna wrote: »

When I make bread I use a handful of ingredients - flour, water, salt, yeast, maybe a pinch of sugar, maybe oil. Sometimes other ingredients for flavorings if I'm feeling creative.

It's interesting to read labels for packaged bread to see all the other ingredients the manufacturers feel is necessary to add.

I don't not buy bread that has more than five ingredients, but I do make informed decisions about which are non-starters, without making myself crazy about it.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Actually the USDA listing for "Crustaceans, shrimp, mixed species, raw (may contain additives to retain moisture)" (15149) does show some carbs... 1.02 in 112g (serving size of the label you shared). Since the product you shared has additives this listing is probably more accurate then the aforementioned listings.

edit: can't make out the serving size, if 212g it is pretty close to the USDA listing above (in calories and carbs)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »

Good call - didn't see that listing, that is a better one to use.
  • kshama2001
    edited August 2019
    Options
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Nobody should be eating shrimps. They have too many legs. You're eating bugs! :o

Delicious, high protein lowfat bugs.

Mmm lobster. With butter to counteract all that lowfattiness. :)

You have expensive taste in bugs :D
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Nobody should be eating shrimps. They have too many legs. You're eating bugs! :o

Delicious, high protein lowfat bugs.

Mmm lobster. With butter to counteract all that lowfattiness. :)

I can use bread as a butter-delivery device :P
  • fearluna
    fearluna Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I’ll have to read labels better. I bought it assuming it was only raw shrimp, I didn’t think theyd put additives in it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options

What's wrong with bugs?