I’m worried about loose thigh skin

I’m currently 75kg and wanting to lose/am actively losing 10kg. My thighs are quite cellulitey and not toned at all. I’m really worried about having loose skin on my thighs! It’s actually got me thinking whether it’s worth the risk of dropping the weight. I’m terrified of loose skin! It’s a phobia. What is the likelihood of that happening?

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I’m 31. 5’4” 1/2 and have good skin generally speaking if that helps
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I too was worried about loose skin. I've lost 30kg. I don't have intolerably loose skin anywhere. My upper arms have some but it's not noticeable unless I put my arms out to the side. I'm actively working on filling out my arms with muscle and we'll see what happens then.

However, because I had a lot to lose, and was concerned about loose skin, I lost the weight at a sensible rate. Too fast and it can take a while for the skin to catch up, though I think that may only be a temporary phenomenon. However you want to avoid it if you find that demotivational. Also I was and am rigorous about using a good body moisturising cream every day, particularly in the areas where I feared loose skin. I think that has helped.

Finally, there are reports that taking high dose liposomal vitamin C orally can improve skin elasticity. I've been doing that for about a year, now, and I can feel the improvement in my skin.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,067 Member
    work out your legs as you lose weight, and your loose skin will be filled by muscle - it will take some time, but it's SO worth it. not only will nicely muscled legs be more attractive - and no, your legs won't get TOO muscular as that takes MASSES of work - but it comes with the extra benefit of being stronger.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I was heavier than 70kg and I've lost almost 20kg, I'm also 31.

The only place I have loose skin is my stomach, and that is due to the 3 recent pregnancies, not the weight loss.

I strength train, which may change the appearance of my legs and whatnot. But no loose, saggy skin.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    edited August 2019
    I agree with the above posters. Loose skin is better than fat. You’re young and with some time in maintenance your skin will most likely tighten. But if not, no big deal. It’s takes a long time to realize that loose skin is not as important as other things in our lives. And yes, likely more noticeable to you. We’ll all think you’re fabulous.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    One thing that seems to have helped some people is to use a good body moisterizer. Nourished, hydrated skin tends to be more elastic. :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Just 10 kilos will not cause loose skin. It is barely a couple of sizes.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    edited August 2019
    I wasn't worried about it but still got some after losing 40# and being in maintenance for over 3 yrs now. I view it as a consequence of genetics and age (68 going on 69).

It's at the bottom of my butt cheeks and lower abs. It's not severe, just annoying, and is covered by clothing but, of course, I'm still aware of it.

Even thought of getting a butt lift and tummy tuck to "fix it" but my more rational mind and cheap nature prevailed.

So, no surgery for me but that's always an option, if you just can't stand it and can afford to do it, after you've achieved your wt loss goal and the loose skin doesn't go away on its own after a sufficient period of time.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'm in my 40s, lost twice that amount, and my thighs are fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I lost 80 pounds in my late 30s and had no loose skin whatsoever.

I lost it slowly, and exercised as I did it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Lose slowly and strength train. It likely won’t be a big issue for 10 kg.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I lost 5 pant sizes and have no loose skin on my thighs. Loss of cellulite does not necessarily equal loose skin. Just try to stick to a reasonable deficit, don't loose too quickly, eat your protein, and do some strength training.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 572 Member
    I'm in my late 60s, I've lost over 60 pounds in the past 6 years, so yeah, I took my time. But no loose skin. I did have that hangy thing going on under my upper arms that you can't get away from with age, but even that has decreased. With what you have to lose, I don't think you need worry. ;)
  • admin765
    admin765 Posts: 18 Member
    Just tell everyone the loose skin is a flotation device to keep you from drowning at the beach.