Apple cider vinegar

Options
124»

Replies

• coconutface
    coconutface Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't think drinking it neat is bad either - unless in ridiculous copious quantity, but that goes for any food.

I don't drink it or use it in any way at all myself and I certainly don't believe any magic claims about it - but it isn't bad for you to drink if you want to.

It just doesn't do anything special.

Drinking apple cider vinegar undiluted can corrode the enamel on your teeth because of the acetic acid found in it. Additionally, it can be very harmful to the esophagus and cause difficulty in swallowing.
  • coconutface
    coconutface Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    There are lots of threads on here about it, and the fact that it's just a load of nonsense, the BBC did a little study on it and they said the same. It's acid, it's not good for you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/38jzBcHNHD1jWpLtVybgj20/is-apple-cider-vinegar-really-good-for-me

I'm not sure if this is the study you are referring to, but the BBC did not say that it's bad for you. Undiluted, it certainly can be harmful, however there was evidence that apple cider vinegar is beneficial in this particular study. I think the main issue is that people these days want a quick fix or a miracle cure, and this is simply not it. When combined with a proper, healthy diet and exercise, there is plenty of evidence that shows apple cider can be beneficial for the body. I'm not saying it will make people lose all kinds of weight because the evidence is simply not there. However, it can help people to eat less during the day which (for most people) eventually causes a small amount of weight loss over time (say 5 pounds in a year maybe). Aside from weight loss, apple cider vinegar (raw with the mother) is excellent for skin health and for gut health because of the probiotics that it contains, so it is definitely something to be considered. I have linked to a couple of articles below so that you may have further information on the subject.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19661687
    https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/jmf.2017.0039?rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed&url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&journalCode=jmf
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    ACV works great on warts. Just letting you know. :)
    But drink it? Blecch!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    I don't think drinking it neat is bad either - unless in ridiculous copious quantity, but that goes for any food.

I don't drink it or use it in any way at all myself and I certainly don't believe any magic claims about it - but it isn't bad for you to drink if you want to.

It just doesn't do anything special.

Drinking apple cider vinegar undiluted can corrode the enamel on your teeth because of the acetic acid found in it. Additionally, it can be very harmful to the esophagus and cause difficulty in swallowing.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread (below), and repeating: Yes, acidic beverages are potentially damaging to teeth, and more. But undiluted ACV (pH 3.3 to 3.5 at standard commercial 5% dilution), is less acidic than many common beverages.

A very few examples from the American Dental Association study linked in the quote below: Gatorade Lemon-Lime (pH 2.97), Kool-Aid Grape (pH 2.83) or Dr. Pepper (pH 2.88), among many, many others. Diluted, ACV's pH is higher (even less acidic). All of these things are bad for teeth, and could have other negative effects from acidity alone, but ACV is far from unique in this, and people rarely drink a big glass/bottle of ACV as they routinely do with those other things.

It's not been proven to materially aid weight loss in humans (non-replicated study showed minor dose-dependent effect). It may (preliminary research) have some mild benefits in other scenarios. (Consumer-friendly research summary from source generally regarded as neutral here: https://examine.com/supplements/acv/ ).

But urging disproportionate fear about acidity does not help team "ACV is ineffective for weight loss" support its case.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Drinking it neat is no worse, based on acidity, than numerous common beverages.

ACV at the standard commercial 5% dilution runs around pH 3.3-3.5 (some other vinegars can be lower, i.e., more acidic), as I understand it. (Diluting it with water raises the pH, making it less acidic, since water is higher pH).

Clearly, limiting all corrosive drinks is a good plan (according to the ADA), but ACV isn't likely a special scary case.

https://www.ada.org/en/~/media/ADA/Public Programs/Files/JADA_The pH of beverages in the United States

(NOTE: Unfortunately, the MFP editor seems unable to correctly handle that URL. You may need to cut'n'paste it into your browser if you want to read the American Dental Association article about acidity of common beverages.).