Stomach Cramping from Hell 😢

Options
13»

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    yet another reason KETO and diets like it are not worth it..stay on it long enough and your whole body will be screwed. Clogged Arteries being just one of the consequences. KETO at your own risk!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    yet another reason KETO and diets like it are not worth it..stay on it long enough and your whole body will be screwed. Clogged Arteries being just one of the consequences. KETO at your own risk!

Any diet can be implemented poorly or have periods where issues are caused. Just like any diet can be implemented correctly and cause huge improvements. Either way, generalizations don't provide any value.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    maxbbbr wrote: »
    Keto diet is extremely unhealthy: not enough fiber, too much protein. Also if you eat a lot of cheese, I believe that can cause constipation on its own. https://www.livestrong.com/article/430090-how-to-prevent-constipation-when-eating-cheese/

I really have to disagree with this for a number of reasons. Firstly, keto does not have to be too high in protein, nor does it have to be too low in fibre. Most that follow keto use net carbs, which results in fibre amounts that are around the recommended level. Secondly, do you know what is more unhealthy than using keto as a way to lose weight? Staying obese! If keto helps with satiety to keep you within a calorie deficit then it is a damn sight healthier than remaining obese.

Disclosure .... this is coming from someone who does not and will not ever go keto.

To the OP, I strongly suggest you start going by 25 grams of net carbs to enable more fibre. I am sure your bowels will thank you for it.

I agree with this. I would not do a vl carb diet personally. I do not enjoy eating all that fat and I really love my vegetables, grains, legumes, seeds, etc. Getting the weight off has to be a very high priority and if the OP has found a lane. My only concern is that this will be around a 2 year plan and that is a long time to focus solely on weight loss and push nutrition to the side.

I know the feeling of being very morbidly obese and when the weight starts coming off very quickly it can be a little addictive. Those non scale victories can really start to add up as your life improves. It is a great feeling. You have to be mindful though of your ultimate goals which would likely include a sustainable healthy life. There is no point in losing weight if you can't sustain it. There is also no point in doing it if you somehow make yourself sick in the process.

I do not believe the OP has to be on 25 total carbs to get this done. I would even speculate that the OP would probably be ok with something higher than 25 net carbs (probably 50) and still be satiated. I think he has fallen into the trap of thinking he needs something more than just the calorie deficit to lose the weight so that is why the extremely low total carbs.