Stomach Cramping from Hell 😢

Options

Replies

• Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    it could be an intolerance, lack of fiber, or not enough fat, or not enough hydration.
    Here is a list of high fiber, low carb foods

The article linked above states this, "The Institute of Medicine recommends women aim to get 25 grams of fiber every day, while men should aim for around 38 grams. If you’re currently eating a low-fiber diet — i.e. a diet without many green vegetables or other foods on this list — work your way up to this goal gradually. Increase your daily fiber intake by several grams (about the equivalent of a handful of almonds) a week. Your body needs time to get used to the extra fiber, or you might end up feeling bloated and uncomfortable. In addition, make sure you’re drinking plenty of water every day to prevent constipation."

Key points in the above: Work your way up slowly, or you might end up feeling bloated and uncomfortable. Drink plenty of water.
    I recommend tracking your fiber in your MFP food diary. I replaced the sodium column for fiber (I watch sodium but have a good handle on it).
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    TheOldBallCoach43420 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    There aren't many. Peanuts, almonds, berries.

Peanuts and almonds are certainly not on our strict low carb option list. We are 20-30 carbs per day

• TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options
    What are some of the extremely low carb foods that some of you like that contain high fiber?

Are you going by total carbs or net carbs?

I have stayed strictly at 25 total carbs the past month.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    What are some of the extremely low carb foods that some of you like that contain high fiber?

There is no way you can get sufficient fiber then. You need 25 to 35 grams per day and considering that carbs show up in non-fiber places you can't get it done.

I am no expert on the Atkins system but I am fairly sure you are supposed to be looking at net carbs not total carbs for your limit. How well did you research this?
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Gallbladder? I had similar symptoms
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Up your fiber, if it persist after that, call the doctor.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options

There is no way you can get sufficient fiber then. You need 25 to 35 grams per day and considering that carbs show up in non-fiber places you can't get it done.

I am no expert on the Atkins system but I am fairly sure you are supposed to be looking at net carbs not total carbs for your limit. How well did you research this?

You are able to count net carbs but I don’t feel like eating 60 carbohydrate today with all of that fat just to try and get a little bit of fiber. I have been fine since I stopped eating the cheese last week so if it comes up again I will know it’s something above and beyond that.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You are able to count net carbs but I don’t feel like eating 60 carbohydrate today with all of that fat just to try and get a little bit of fiber. I have been fine since I stopped eating the cheese last week so if it comes up again I will know it’s something above and beyond that.

You would decrease fats a bit and increase fibrous carbs. Also, you don't need to aim for some crazy fat levels on keto. Its more net carbs, adequate protein (1.5-2.2g/kg) and adequate salt. Just let fat fall out where it does naturally.
  • NovusDies
    Options

You need to be eating more anyway to slow down your rate of loss. Seems like upping fiber would be a good long term plan.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options

You need to be eating more anyway to slow down your rate of loss. Seems like upping fiber would be a good long term plan.

Why would I want to eat more to slow my loss????? Sheeesh. I eat nearly 2000 calories daily, up to 2750 some days. I am 327 lbs currently, so losing 4 lbs a week isn’t out of the question or unhealthy anyway. Been to my doctor to confirm.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Why would I want to eat more to slow my loss????? Sheeesh. I eat nearly 2000 calories daily, up to 2750 some days. I am 327 lbs currently, so losing 4 lbs a week isn’t out of the question or unhealthy anyway. Been to my doctor to confirm.

Their recommendations are based on general guidelines of roughly .5-1% of your bw per week. At your current weight, you are only outside of that and you have doctor consent. I would keep going. Just make sure protein is high enough.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I would not go by what the doctor says. I would get a referral to a registered dietitian and have your eating/nutrition reviewed if you are going to stay in this level of a deficit with this 25g total carb plan of yours. Doctors have very little training in nutrition and I am concerned about how you are eating if you are getting this sick. It is better to be safe than sorry.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options
    I would not go by what the doctor says. I would get a referral to a registered dietitian and have your eating/nutrition reviewed if you are going to stay in this level of a deficit with this 25g total carb plan of yours. Doctors have very little training in nutrition and I am concerned about how you are eating if you are getting this sick. It is better to be safe than sorry.

I had 3 days of stomach cramps in 3 months. They so happened to be in 2 weeks time. Chalked it up to constipation and lack of water. Been good since removing cheese for snacks.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I made a suggestion. You don't have to follow it. When someone says they are having "stomach cramping from hell", they are eating 25 total carbs, and dismisses fiber because it won't fit I get a little concerned. Remember that even at a accelerated rate you will be in a calorie deficit for a very long time. Your deficit will continue to shrink as you do and you will be forced to slow down. Keeping an eye on nutrition is important for guys like us. I have been doing this for 18 months now. I don't do low carb though. I tried it and it was definitely not for me. Moderate carbs work best for me.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options
    I made a suggestion. You don't have to follow it. When someone says they are having "stomach cramping from hell", they are eating 25 total carbs, and dismisses fiber because it won't fit I get a little concerned. Remember that even at a accelerated rate you will be in a calorie deficit for a very long time. Your deficit will continue to shrink as you do and you will be forced to slow down. Keeping an eye on nutrition is important for guys like us. I have been doing this for 18 months now. I don't do low carb though. I tried it and it was definitely not for me. Moderate carbs work best for me.

I appreciate all your advice here and I am definitely going to take the fiber discussion to heart. Thank you for talking.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    maxbbbr wrote: »
    Keto diet is extremely unhealthy: not enough fiber, too much protein. Also if you eat a lot of cheese, I believe that can cause constipation on its own. https://www.livestrong.com/article/430090-how-to-prevent-constipation-when-eating-cheese/

I really have to disagree with this for a number of reasons. Firstly, keto does not have to be too high in protein, nor does it have to be too low in fibre. Most that follow keto use net carbs, which results in fibre amounts that are around the recommended level. Secondly, do you know what is more unhealthy than using keto as a way to lose weight? Staying obese! If keto helps with satiety to keep you within a calorie deficit then it is a damn sight healthier than remaining obese.

Disclosure .... this is coming from someone who does not and will not ever go keto.

To the OP, I strongly suggest you start going by 25 grams of net carbs to enable more fibre. I am sure your bowels will thank you for it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    maxbbbr wrote: »
    Keto diet is extremely unhealthy: not enough fiber, too much protein. Also if you eat a lot of cheese, I believe that can cause constipation on its own. https://www.livestrong.com/article/430090-how-to-prevent-constipation-when-eating-cheese/

I really have to disagree with this for a number of reasons. Firstly, keto does not have to be too high in protein, nor does it have to be too low in fibre. Most that follow keto use net carbs, which results in fibre amounts that are around the recommended level. Secondly, do you know what is more unhealthy than using keto as a way to lose weight? Staying obese! If keto helps with satiety to keep you within a calorie deficit then it is a damn sight healthier than remaining obese.

Disclosure .... this is coming from someone who does not and will not ever go keto.

To the OP, I strongly suggest you start going by 25 grams of net carbs to enable more fibre. I am sure your bowels will thank you for it.

So much this. Also, I do keto and I regularly (at least when I was tracking) was hitting 20-35g of fiber daily. I do have to make more of an effort to get fiber, but it isn't that hard. I use a quest bar, chia seeds, leafy greens, low gi berries (raspberries, strawberries and blackberries) and jicama.