Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Underweight and in need to gain weight fast

baileyp98baileyp98 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
I’m 21 5’7 and 96 lbs I look sickly and I currently eat through 1700 calories a day I’m just starting out today and it says my goal is 2500 calories a day what do I need to do because I eat all the time and I’m constantly on the move. What foods do I need to eat and exercises do I need to do to gain the weight fast and get a more hour glass look, like the usual bigger butt and bigger boobs

Replies

• RedordeadheadRedordeadhead Posts: 518Member Member Posts: 518Member Member
    You can eat any foods you like! Calories determine weight gain/loss. You should make sure you eat enough protein and fat (the MFP macros are a fine place to start).

Set an accurate activity level, select an appropriate goal e.g. gain 0.5-1lb per week and eat that many calories, plus eat back any extra from purposeful exercise.

A progressive strength training programme will help you maintain and possibly build muscle. Unfortunately, you can't determine where you gain weight, but you can work on muscle development in your glutes for example.
  • PAV8888PAV8888 Posts: 5,754Member Member Posts: 5,754Member Member
    Starting so far into the red I would really concentrate on escaping from the danger zone first, before worrying excessively about controlling the speed of regain, or prioritizing exercise.

If I had been eating 1700 for a while, the following would be less of a concern. But if the 1700 represented a recent increase for me, and given the ~15kg/m2 starting point, I would be advocating for the monitoring of things such as my magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and calcium levels.

Once I was on my way to weight restoration I would optimize along the lines @psuLemon suggests. His hard-gainer post covers the *how* one can achieve the 2500+ levels I would want to be consistently hitting to get healthy!
  • magnusthenerdmagnusthenerd Posts: 659Member Member Posts: 659Member Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Although, if you gain fast, a higher propensity of fat will go into your abdomen. So go at a slower speed.
    Interesting, is that based on a study, or is it a hypothesis based on physiology?
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Posts: 34,853Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 34,853Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Although, if you gain fast, a higher propensity of fat will go into your abdomen. So go at a slower speed.
    Interesting, is that based on a study, or is it a hypothesis based on physiology?

Largely anecdotal based on the majority of aggressive cases that i have worked with. But the foundation of the information was based on data i gathered years ago.

So does this allow for a bias? Possibly. But in the absence of data, it is what you have to consider.

• vasanakeokhamvasanakeokham Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    I’m 5’1 and it all depends on genetics, too. So, I’ve always maintained 105lbs, pretty active and at my heaviest was when I was pregnant. I’m currently 38, and I decided to bulk up and I’ve given myself 1-2 months to see any progress. That being said I’ve never starved myself. My intake on calories is 2200-2900 a day and I’ve increased my protein to 130-149/G a day. I’m now at 110 in <1 week 5lbs increase) You have to make sure you just have a schedule. I work out M-F, and lift a comfortable weight. I’m bottom heavy and that’s where I pack most of my muscles. You can’t bulk up on mass if you don’t maintain protein for energy. Allow yourself 1-2 lbs weight gain a week. But definitely, a great public speaker is Stephanie Buttermore. You can see how she transforms from super lean, to “all in” and gaining close to 30-40lbs.
    Best of luck!
    edited 3:30AM