Tajin

Katmary71
Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
OK, I kept reading about Tajin on food and was recently gifted some after asking about it in a group setting. I prefer lemon over lime so the finger pinch taste test wasn't too impressive. I've heard it's good on watermelon but have a tough time imagining this! I did give it a try on veg and fell in love with it on cucumbers and tomatoes. I usually make salmon with lemon and Penzey's Fox Point, I'm going to try adding it and see how it goes. Any other favorite uses of it? I just spent a bunch on spices but am really curious how others use it and want to experiment!

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I had to google it because I’d not heard of it and it’s not made it across the Atlantic yet, as far as I know! I hope it does because it sounds good!

I do, however, have a corner of my enormous spice collection which is filled with what looks like very similar seasoning blends. I have a coarse lemon pepper, a lime pepper and a chilli lime blend called chilli explosion, also a Moroccan salt blend which I love. I like any of them in cottage cheese, ground over salads, as a pre seasoning for roasted veg, on houmus, in fact anywhere I’d use salt and black pepper, matching the flavour profile as appropriate to the food. I don’t eat meat, but if I did I’m sure I’d generously douse that too!

Can’t imagine any of them on watermelon though, either!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Sounds similar to Thai chilli salt, which you get a little bag of when you buy fresh fruit from a street vendor.
    https://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/thai-salt-chili-dip/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    More ideas on how to use the Vietnamese version of the chilli salt.
    http://www.phamfatale.com/id_503/title_Vietnamese-Chili-Salt-An-Exotic-Flavor-Enhancer-for-Fruit/
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    @acpgee, my experience is that Thai chili salt is sweet (sugar, salt, and peppers) where Tajin is not (salt, peppers, and lime), but both are great IN SMALL QUANTITIES on fresh fruit with a high water content like watermelon, mangoes, peaches, and canteloupe.

I also love it with avocado, or mixed in to hummus or bean dip and used as a toast spread or salad dressing
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    The frutas vendors out here will add it but also use fresh lime juice as well, which makes a difference to me. In fact I cut up a bunch of melon yesterday with this exact plan in mind because I didn't have time to go cruising for the rainbow umbrellas!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I'm going to buy some ASAP. I plan to use it on everything, it sounds great. I was reading that people use it in their coffee, dark cocoa, corn on the cob, melons, popsicles, cucumbers, pineapples, they use it to salt the rim for their drinks, on top of popcorn, fruit salads, pasta salads....the sky is not the limit.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    @BarbaraHelen2013 your chili lime seasoning sounds just like it! I've never thought of adding spices to cottage cheese aside of cinnamon, which I add to everything. I like your ideas! I just bought about 15 spices/mixes, it's not the best time for me to be playing favorites with so much to experiment with! I bought most for veggies and will definitely try adding to salads. I always add my fresh herbs to salads but never think of spices!

@acpgee Interesting reading, I'll have to try making Thai chili salt! Tajin is on the sour side due to the lime.

@rosebarnalice I had to laugh at your recommendation to use it in small doses, I'm heavy handed with spices! Great idea about trying it with beans! I don't eat a lot of fruit but will pick up a few pieces to try with it.

@MelanieCN77 That's so cool! I don't have any limes but will try out lime and Tajin on fruit.

Diatonic12 I love your enthusiasm! I could see it tasting good on a lot of what you posted but like my coffee sweet! I just gifted someone dark chocolate with chilis so I bet it would be an interesting flavor profile. It would be great on popcorn, didn't think of that!

I'm obviously going to have to get melon to try it with!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I just had watermelon for breakfast, and I knew there was something that had put it into my mind! This thread...I didn’t remember to try my chilli lime pepper but I wish I had! Might sneak in another small bowlful at lunchtime and give it a go...will report my findings! 😂