Doing it different this time!!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    thanks tinkerbellang83, I feel a lot better, I like the idea of water retention, how can I avoid water retention? Do I stay under the Sodium that MFP is suggesting?

Honestly, trying to manipulate water weight is a pointless task unless it's affecting you medically i.e. an oedema

You are trying to lose fat, not water. Trust that if you're logging accurately and in a calorie deficit, your fat loss is just masked by some water weight and the scale will catch up eventually. Trendweight apps such as Libra or Happyscale can be useful to track your trend even for a short while so you can get used to daily fluctuations.
  • mfoltz588
    mfoltz588 Posts: 18 Member
    Hi and welcome. I am taking the same approaches you and am 9 days in to my weight-loss Journey. You have a great attitude and best wishes to you
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,246 Member
    Have a good weekend everyone!
  • kacahill320
    kacahill320 Posts: 51 Member
    wow! water, water, water!!thanks
  • kacahill320
    my weight keeps fluctuating between 2 - 3 lbs. I get excited then bummed out. when will I even out and really see a weight loss. I do have major digestive issues and know that would be a factor. but I have to be on the scale everyday; there's no way I would do it weekly.
  • lessofLisa19
    lessofLisa19 Posts: 6 Member
    Love the OP and the responses. I would love to add as many friends as I can. Good luck everyone!!
  • kacahill320
    I've been analyzing my charts and as far as I can see if I don't eat enough calories I won't lose much. I'd love to hear any thoughts on this.....
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    my weight keeps fluctuating between 2 - 3 lbs. I get excited then bummed out. when will I even out and really see a weight loss. I do have major digestive issues and know that would be a factor. but I have to be on the scale everyday; there's no way I would do it weekly.

You are about 10 days in. You absolutely cannot remain this stressed out over a scale number. It often takes me 3 weeks to see a new low weight. I have been losing for 18 months now.

Make sure you are weighing your food and picking good and personally verified database entries to make sure you are logging accurately.

Food scale:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

Logging Accurately:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

General getting started guide:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • kacahill320
    Thanks for the input. I really need it; how come MFP recommends 1840 calories a day but if I have 1340 I lose weight? If I have 1400 I gain? Am I trying to lose too fast or shall I just relax and give it a chance to work in a rythem?
  • kacahill320
    There's so much I need to learn. Too much sodium causes water retention which causes weight gain? Consume recommended sodium and this won't happen? And of course drink plenty of fluids.
  • annliz23
    Thanks for the input. I really need it; how come MFP recommends 1840 calories a day but if I have 1340 I lose weight? If I have 1400 I gain? Am I trying to lose too fast or shall I just relax and give it a chance to work in a rythem?

See what works for you, I just got into a pattern mine is 1200 my friends is 1400 I did it for a while to see a pattern.
  • kacahill320
    Wow 219lbs!! Haven't seen this is years.
  • kacahill320
    Anybody out there? How do I get back to the discussion page so I can see all the posts?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    This thread? tap/click on page 1 - can see that at both top and bottom of thread.
  • kacahill320
    does anyone else get on the scale everyday?
    there doesn't seem to be much chit chat on this message board.
  • annliz23

I do every day it's become more of a habit really but if I have lost motivates me if not still motivates me lol!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    dmkumhyr wrote: »
    Starting today I am going to do it different, with the help of MFP of course! I will begin by not reading all the "hype" about fad diets. I will stop searching the internet regarding diets such as keto, low carb, intermittent fasting, low sugar, whole 30 etc. I will not think of foods as good or bad. I will eat my favorite foods in moderation, as long as it fits into my daily calorie allowance. I will weigh and measure all my portions on a food scale. I will eat mindfully and only when I am hungry. I will drink a ton of water and walk my dog daily. I will incorporate 2 days of weight training a week.

In one month, September 12, 2019 I will report back and let you all know what happens. Who's with me?

I would join you but my dog isn't behaved well enough on a leash yet to walk with another dog.

But seriously it seems like you have a good general plan of where to start and I wish you well. I would add that you you should never consider quitting as an option. If you lapse and eat all the ice cream one day just log it and keep going. Trying to be perfect always led me to fail. Being imperfect is helping me to succeed.

The last four sentences are the secret to success. You cannot fail as long as you keep logging and write off binge/cheat days as only a temporary slowdown to your progress. Consistency and persistence will allow you to succeed in the long term.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member

There is if you move out of the “Getting Started” forum and check out some of the others.

• kacahill320
    thanks for the advice, I'll find another group