I'm not trying to insult anyone by trying to lose weight.

Options

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    On your last post you stated that your mother was anorexic and she kept telling you to lose weight. That is why I said that you need to seek counseling. Also you had stated that your primary reason for losing weight is for your boyfriend . When you put it like that what do you think is going to happen.

I don't understand why the reason matters as long as I'm not being unhealthy?

When an anorexic pressures me to lose weight there may be a problem. You established that you had unhealthy loss habits in the past and it did not really seem like you wanted to change them that much that is why people got on you.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    On your last post you stated that your mother was anorexic and she kept telling you to lose weight. That is why I said that you need to seek counseling. Also you had stated that your primary reason for losing weight is for your boyfriend . When you put it like that what do you think is going to happen.

Yeah I'm with OP. I see many girls who's only reason is "To look hot". I have seen threads after thread of "I wanna be called a MILF". Whats wrong to be healthier for your SO? The OP, from my POV, do have some issues (like all of us) and perhaps needs some guidance but that doesn't warrant harassment. Shame on people who stoop this low to prove themselves right. Next time, please say your piece and let the others do their thing.
  • amandabrooke17
    amandabrooke17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ehhh I think some people are just overly sensitive and have their judgey pants on. Guessing it was someone from your intro post http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1070502-hi-my-name-is-danielle-i-really-need-your-help ? Brush it off and move on :) this is your journey to Healthy and no one else's.

I'm your same height and my goal weight is 125# which for my body type/build is well within the healthy range. I have to agree with PPs who suggested focusing on getting lean and reducing body fat; you'll be healthier and look your best that way anyhow.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    i dont think you're goal is ridiculous.. i'm 5'4 and at my heaviest was 136 but i've still lost 16 pounds.

what i would say though is that i used to be a 5-6x/week cardio junkie who ate 1200 cals daily. it's taken a lot but in the last year and a half i've started eating 1800-2000 cals daily and done a ton of heavy lifting. while i still weigh the same everything else has changed: i have awesome muscles (i'm not bulky....) i'm not afraid to show off, i eat a clean, healthy, balanced diet, and i've totally changed the composition of my body. I'm sure that i was 25-30% body far before and am now 16%.

food for thought :) if you'd like to get into lifting and want any advice feel free to shoot over a FR! good luck!
  • ellebrosseau
    ellebrosseau Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Yeah I'm with OP. I see many girls who's only reason is "To look hot". I have seen threads after thread of "I wanna be called a MILF". Whats wrong to be healthier for your SO? The OP, from my POV, do have some issues (like all of us) and perhaps needs some guidance but that doesn't warrant harassment. Shame on people who stoop this low to prove themselves right. Next time, please say your piece and let the others do their thing.

I'm sorry I'm not on the forums enough I suppose but... what's OP mean?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Original poster (sometimes also refers to original post). In this case, OP is you.
  • ellebrosseau
    Options

Original poster (sometimes also refers to original post). In this case, OP is you.

Oh. I get it now. Haha.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options
    Im not arguing or anything. Its just that on your original original post it seemed like you wanted to lose the weight because of others. At the time you did not reach your target audience and instead pissed off a series of people that are struggling to lose weight the size of a 5th grade boy.
  • jmoliveson
    jmoliveson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I applaud you for signing up and welcome you! I joined MFP to make a lifestyle change which includes being committed to better eating and staying active. I am not a believer in the BMI because it all depends on how you feel and that's all that matters. This site does have a wide variety of people on here and some are only too happy having fun insulting you because they have nothing better to do than make you feel dumb for wanting to better yourself. In the past I have weighed a lot less than I do now but looked way worse because I lacked muscle. Hang in there and its best to ignore all the imature comments attacking you..
  • ellebrosseau
    Options
    I know you were trying to help, maryjane_88, but what you said bothered me because I thought I made it clear in my last post I was definitely changing for the better. In addition to that, I've seen tons of people with worse reasons to shed some pounds. :/ And in all honesty, I was more frustrated with the girl who sent me a PM than I was with what you had said. I guess the way you worded it just stuck.
  • ellebrosseau
    Options
    Im not arguing or anything. Its just that on your original original post it seemed like you wanted to lose the weight because of others. At the time you did not reach your target audience and instead pissed off a series of people that are struggling to lose weight the size of a 5th grade boy.

Referring to the title of this post... I didn't mean to insult anyone. :(
  • excitedaboutfitness
    excitedaboutfitness Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that as well. I started around 215 pounds, and I've gotten down to 171.6. I still have another 40 to go, but now when I'm with friends and I don't eat quite like them when we go out for food, they always say that I don't *need* to lose weight. Many of my friends are *very* overweight, and several of them seem offended that I want to continue losing weight at 171.6, while they aren't making any effort to lose weight at 250-300.

I think some people take it as you calling *them* out for not trying to lose weight when they weigh more than you.

It's silly, and unless you're *actually* telling them what to do, them being upset or insulted it totally out of your control.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts. You've had problems in the past you stated you wanted to please others before yourself (I remember your first post). I didn't respond but I had some concerns. People were being so nasty to you by the time I read it I didn't think you would have a good filter on. My concern was that you didn't want to do this for you, that you only wanted to please others and that is not all that healthy because what would happen if you and your bf split?

So, as long as you are thinking about your health and you are going about this in a healthy way go for it. I do agree with the other posters about adding lean muscle along the way, you can have the same body at 130 maybe and feel a lot better. But that is a discussion you should have with your nutritionist, not on the forums. And you do need to exercise, just don't overdo it like you used to and I know that's easier said than done.

Good luck on your journey.
  • marcgo2
    marcgo2 Posts: 15
    Options
    If you can't emotionally handle criticism from strangers on message boards, then you probably shouldn't post on public internet message boards to a bunch of strangers. Best of luck on your weight loss.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options
    Here are my thoughts. You've had problems in the past you stated you wanted to please others before yourself (I remember your first post). I didn't respond but I had some concerns. People were being so nasty to you by the time I read it I didn't think you would have a good filter on. My concern was that you didn't want to do this for you, that you only wanted to please others and that is not all that healthy because what would happen if you and your bf split?

So, as long as you are thinking about your health and you are going about this in a healthy way go for it. I do agree with the other posters about adding lean muscle along the way, you can have the same body at 130 maybe and feel a lot better. But that is a discussion you should have with your nutritionist, not on the forums. And you do need to exercise, just don't overdo it like you used to and I know that's easier said than done.

THIS
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options
    If you can't emotionally handle criticism from strangers on message boards, then you probably shouldn't post on public internet message boards to a bunch of strangers. Best of luck on your weight loss.

You read my mind and beat me to it!
  • ellebrosseau
    Options

"People were being so nasty to you by the time I read it..." My point exactly! I haven't done anything that should warrant that. And I would still want to be healthy if he and I split, but the difference would be I probably wouldn't have as much motivation. I've seen people on here who've lost weight because someone or something motivated them who wouldn't have done so if they didn't have that person or thing in their life. I don't see the difference. But thank you.
  • ellebrosseau
    Options

I wasn't expecting criticism.. but yeah.. I suppose..
  • ellebrosseau
    Options

You read my mind and beat me to it!

I asked for help and suggestions on how to lose weight the right way. If someone who was 400lbs who suffered from binge eating instead of not eating posted the same thing, people would be applauding them. I actually feel bad because I'm not fat.
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have alot of weight to lose and I don't think you are wrong for wanting to lose 20 pounds. Some people are just jealous. I get some of the same remarks at my weight (how much are you going to lose - don't lose another pound) and I have alot of weight to lose! There are people on MFP who have anywhere from 200lbs to 10lbs pounds to lose - I believe that all of us want to, not just lose weight, but to make lifestyle changes. I will say this - if you don't do this for yourself you will continue to go up and down on the scale and never be satisfied. This is from my past experience. Please make this your goal and not everyone else's. You will be a whole lot happier and keep it off. It sounds like you're going in the right direction however. You have a nutritionist, and doing lifting as well as cardio. I wish you the very best in your journey!