I need help...

Options
2»

Replies

• rwnhz
    rwnhz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Going to go against the grain (and some of my favorite MFP commenters!) and say that if you're not losing, you're not eating too little.

I think the problem is your "cheat" days. When you're close to goal, a cheat day can eliminate your deficit for the week.

Yes I try to air them out more than I used to, think I'll force myself to log and not get overboard when occasions pop up
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    rwnhz wrote: »
    Going to go against the grain (and some of my favorite MFP commenters!) and say that if you're not losing, you're not eating too little.

I think the problem is your "cheat" days. When you're close to goal, a cheat day can eliminate your deficit for the week.

Yes I try to air them out more than I used to, think I'll force myself to log and not get overboard when occasions pop up

The fact that you are undereating on your "regular" days at 1400 will lead to a lot of those over-eating issues.

Set your Goal to "Lose 1/2 pound per week," or even Maintenance, eat that amount. When you exercise enter that and eat more on those days. Give that a couple months and try not to do planned cheat days.

Eating the right amount on a regular basis will eliminate the binge/starve thing you're doing now.
  • unicorngems
    unicorngems Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I agree that this can sometimes be the case, it's about being careful with the cheats! I say have 'a treat' not a 'cheat day' cheats all day could indeed undo the hard work. Chose the snack you really really want and incorporate it into your day.

Also I havr to agree with what @kimny72 has written here!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    rwnhz wrote: »
    I never say this - but you are eating too little. You are a young male and eating ~1200 calories per day. That isn't enough. Looking at your food diary, it looks like you are diligent in weighing and logging.

Kick your daily calorie goal up. Walk it up 100 calories per week. So this week shoot for 1300 calories, next week 1400 calories, the week after 1500 calories, and so on.

I don't know how active you are, so I set you at sedentary with this TDEE calculator (if you do any exercise you need to eat MORE than this).

pza082is0qni.jpg

You should be eating ~1700 calories per day (again, assuming sedentary).

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) - the amount of calories your body needs to maintain your current weight if you were in a coma, no movement at all.

TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - the amount of calories your body needs to maintain your body weight with your average daily movement/exercise

Thanks for the input. I'm just worried, if I'm maintaining the same weight with the amounts of calories I eat now, won't upping those calories mean weight gain? That's just what I'm worried about...

You need to trust, just a little bit. You've done a bit of damage by eating so little for so long. That's why I suggested to walk the calories up 100 per week.

You'll see a slight jump on the scale, due to more actual food in your body. It will taper off, I promise. Read this article for some for information on that.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Your body needs more nutrients and calories than you are currently giving it.

As for the "cheat days", I do suggest you minimize those as well.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This might not be the answer you are after, but you seem to be within a healthy weight. If it’s so hard losing those last few kg to get to your “perfect” weight, it’s going to be just as tough maintaining there. The work doesn’t stop once the magic number appears on the scale and the more you force your body to be something it’s not, the more it fights you. In this respect, there is the risk that you start a yo-yo cycle which frankly, I think you’re too young to get messed up in. (Not that it’s good at any age).

Considering you are within a health range, consider whether it is time to make peace with the weight that you are. If you need a goal, maybe make it a fitness or experience-oriented one where you hike up a mountain or run a 5k for charity or save up for an amazing trip. Focusing on more positive goals of “what CAN I do” (e.g cycle my stress away on a Sat morning) rather than “what CAN’T I do” (enjoy eating out with friends) might help to lessen your “unhealthy” relationship with food.

Whatever route you choose - best of luck with it. And remember, you are not alone in these struggles!
  • rwnhz
    rwnhz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This might not be the answer you are after, but you seem to be within a healthy weight. If it’s so hard losing those last few kg to get to your “perfect” weight, it’s going to be just as tough maintaining there. The work doesn’t stop once the magic number appears on the scale and the more you force your body to be something it’s not, the more it fights you. In this respect, there is the risk that you start a yo-yo cycle which frankly, I think you’re too young to get messed up in. (Not that it’s good at any age).

Considering you are within a health range, consider whether it is time to make peace with the weight that you are. If you need a goal, maybe make it a fitness or experience-oriented one where you hike up a mountain or run a 5k for charity or save up for an amazing trip. Focusing on more positive goals of “what CAN I do” (e.g cycle my stress away on a Sat morning) rather than “what CAN’T I do” (enjoy eating out with friends) might help to lessen your “unhealthy” relationship with food.

Whatever route you choose - best of luck with it. And remember, you are not alone in these struggles!

Thanks, I think you're right. It's hard to wrap my mind around it yet but I've been thinking about it all day and I just can't continue this path of restricting / binge-eating on and off. I think I'll have to focus more on the way that I look and feel rather than what's on the scale. That's hard though, fingers crossed I'll get there eventually ! Thanks for the nice words though