What's one habit/ritual/hack that you practice daily to optimize your life?

pancakerunner
pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
edited August 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Personally I have an alarm on my phone set for every hour and when it goes off I take a minute to pause, breathe in deeply and reflect on the past hour and plan for the hour ahead.

Also, when something *stressful* happens (i.e. I spill the coffee grounds all over the counter when making coffee :| ), instead of reacting I close my eyes, breathe in and count to 3. Slowing down and taking these small moments has drastically improved my mental clarity.

You?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I've built quite a few but it's been over time. Each month or so I tried to introduce a new good habit and once it had become something mindless I stopped tracking it in my journal - I use a "Bullet Journal" type layout with squares for each habit and each day which would act as a reminder as well as a record. Some things were as elementary as floss every day, take vitamins and allergy pills regularly, then into the health stuff: did I weigh myself, did I log and was I over or under and what kind of workout I did, did I drink enough water, get good sleep, did I do something creative, something social. I've been able to drop off things like water, taking time to read each day, the flossing, pills and assorted other things.

I like to make lists as well, and my 'Today' list is something I carefully don't overdo but also make sure I use my day well.

Water bottle is always with me. Aside from my morning coffee, it's really all I drink.

Be an adult about bedtime, in the sense of judge your time to do all the things you need to do and still have time for a relaxed 30 mins reading before you turn out the light and then 8 hours before your alarm.

Apple Watch: game-ifying activity made a big difference to me in getting my fitness on track.

Lastly: spreadsheets for food planning. Tab with a couple of days on it with meals and snacks, and a tab with my whole pantry, fridge and freezer contents so I can scan and see what I can make. I code the cells orange when I'm nearly out of something and red when it's gone.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    5x60 a week purposeful exercise.

Simple and doable.

Cheers, h.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Personally I have an alarm on my phone set for every hour and when it goes off I take a minute to pause, breathe in deeply and reflect on the past hour and plan for the hour ahead.

You?

At least once an hour I stand up, at least, and preferably walk around or climb stairs or move in some way.

Sitting for hours on end is not good.

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    My habit of grocery shopping and batch-cooking lunches for the week (and prepping breakfasts/snacks) has taken such a load off my mind and made it so much easier to stick to my preferred way of eating.