Best supplements to aid weight loss?

Options
I'm currently taking vitamin B complex, multivitamin, omega 3 fish oil and green tea extract. I'm wondering if these actually do anything for me or am I just wasting money?

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Trust MFP calculations, eat balanced meals and have a look at the summaries MFP gives you. Mankind lived without pills and tablets for millions of years.....
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Do you have any medical reason, supported by blood tests, for taking any of these? Certainly green tea extract will do nothing for you!

Unless you have a diagnosed deficiency in specific vitamins or minerals I think you’re wasting your money. It’s also true that, whilst supplements are ‘better than nothing’ they are not absorbed in the same way, or as effectively as the same compounds ingested in actual food!

Most of the time, the supplements you take are just passed through you, creating expensive urine! 😉
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    I think supplements do something for you if it is something you need done.

I take iron supplements, for example, because I tend to low iron levels.
    If you know you are low in something or at risk of something specific ( eg Vitamin D for those with osteoporosis risk) then take that specific supplement for that specific reason.

Or even take a general multi vitamin if you feel your diet isn't cobering everything.

But none of them will do anything for weight loss or for anything you don't need.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    From your list, I see 2 that are generally accepted as being beneficial for overall health:

1) A Multi vitamin/mineral that covers 100% of many micronutrients and no excessive amount of any can be helpful to fill in any gaps

2) Fish oil can be helpful

The B complex is something that is best taken only if there is a deficiency and the green tea extract does nothing.

None have anything to do with weight loss.

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking vitamin B complex, multivitamin, omega 3 fish oil and green tea extract. I'm wondering if these actually do anything for me or am I just wasting money?

Your GP is the best choice to answer your questions.

Good luck!