Take photos!

Options
Mom2ATM
Mom2ATM Posts: 147 Member
So I started pushing myself with my bbod workouts at the beginning of July, I went strong 6 days a week for 5 weeks, the scale didn't move much maybe 12lbs but I fluctuate up to 7-8lbs depending on how much water I retain, so I wouldn't think I'd lost much fat,
people started commenting to me that I looked thinner especially in my face, tape measure didn't really show any progress either, so I figured eh maybe I'll do a side by side to see if people are just being nice and saying I look thinner. I started around 300lbs I'm around 290ish as of yesterday, I'm 5'6", anywho yep. Definitely a difference on my side by side and face to face. I hadn't watched how much I was eating either, I've battled obsessive compulsive eating disorder for many years, basically I have ocd but it manifests as a binge eating disorder. The last 6 weeks for some reason I decided I needed to put an end to it. I started reminding myself I wasn't really hungry or I had had enough to eat, definitely was most likely still overeating on cals but not by a whole lot from the few days I did track, so today I am 100% tracking every bite and every sip. I've done it before and lost 50lbs in under 3 months just from eating at a deficit and working out a little, I think my tdee was like 2100 or so but I've set my cals to 1500, wont be upset if I go over a little, it happens, can't beat myself up over it, just track and move on.
So my point is since I got way off track lol is make sure you take before and during pics bc when you think nothing's changing, it really is!!

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I don't even own scales, I go by my progress pictures and what I call inspiration clothes.

Too many years of being obsessed with a number and getting discouraged by scales!!

Way to go on your progress pictures!!! Feels great to see the before and current side by side!!!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I agree. I only have one photo at my heaviest taken with a shirt on. when I started my wlj, I got on the scale but didn't take any photos until I was 30 lbs down. Now I take a new photo every week and have them in a folder, it's unbelievable the change especially from that first one I took! Good luck on your journey!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    If I took photos of myself I would just get so depressed at how old I am! I always seem to look older in a photo than I do in the mirror, it would send me to bed to pull the covers over my head and never come out again. I avoid photos at all costs!

I love that it works for you, though!
  • Mom2ATM
    Options
    I don't even own scales, I go by my progress pictures and what I call inspiration clothes.

Too many years of being obsessed with a number and getting discouraged by scales!!

Way to go on your progress pictures!!! Feels great to see the before and current side by side!!!

yes! clothing too!! I have a shirt i bought july 4th, i accidentally bought a 1x instead of 2x and couldnt even get it over my shoulders, friday, i tried it again and voila it fits!!! amazing feeling!!
  • Mom2ATM
    Options
    I agree. I only have one photo at my heaviest taken with a shirt on. when I started my wlj, I got on the scale but didn't take any photos until I was 30 lbs down. Now I take a new photo every week and have them in a folder, it's unbelievable the change especially from that first one I took! Good luck on your journey!

thank you! i was actually not even going to do a side by side 4 weeks in when i did do them because i thought eh theres not much change, it wasnt until my mom and my girls horseback trainer said something to me that i decided to see for myself lol
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @BarbaraHelen2013

I understand that, I usually avoid cameras and reflections in general!

That's one of the reasons I take my pictures in a mirror, and I crop my face out of them. Something about body and face combined makes me very depressed!

I always suggest avoiding anything that causes one to get depressed or discouraged! Staying motivated, positive, and inspired mentally is a huge part of success on health journeys!!

• pro31wahine
    pro31wahine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Clothes is always a wonderful gauge to determine weight loss.

I started to look sloppy at work because everything I own was too big.

After getting a few things that fit, the new dilemma is keeping my teenager away from my closet.

Keep up the good work everyone!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Mom2ATM wrote: »

yes! clothing too!! I have a shirt i bought july 4th, i accidentally bought a 1x instead of 2x and couldnt even get it over my shoulders, friday, i tried it again and voila it fits!!! amazing feeling!!

That is awesome!! I've had a few moments like that recently!! The opposite too, put on pants that I was sqeezing into, now are falling off! Feels wonderful!
  • Mom2ATM
    Options

That is awesome!! I've had a few moments like that recently!! The opposite too, put on pants that I was sqeezing into, now are falling off! Feels wonderful!

I totally tried on a cute dress I bought months ago 2x but couldnt get it past my chest tonight it fits!! Though I need spanx lol
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options

I totally tried on a cute dress I bought months ago 2x but couldnt get it past my chest tonight it fits!! Though I need spanx lol

Great work, great progress!!! Awesome about the dress!!!

I don't think I've worn (brand) spanx. I used to always wear girtles. But realized they just move my fat around and make big buldges.

Then would wear two or three... Trying to contain the different buldges.

I finally quit wearing all the girtles, and tuckers, and tummy controllers...

I choose comfort now and am trying to learn to accept myself.

I'm to the point, I don't care if my stomach sticks out, or I have a roll of fat around the bra strap, or above my butt. I just want to be myself!

• MrKilt
    MrKilt Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Great work, great progress!!! Awesome about the dress!!!

I don't think I've worn (brand) spanx. I used to always wear girtles. But realized they just move my fat around and make big buldges.

Then would wear two or three... Trying to contain the different buldges.

I finally quit wearing all the girtles, and tuckers, and tummy controllers...

I choose comfort now and am trying to learn to accept myself.

I'm to the point, I don't care if my stomach sticks out, or I have a roll of fat around the bra strap, or above my butt. I just want to be myself!

Your self confidence brought a smile to my face. Well done you!