Food Leftovers

I guess we have all had to deal with this problem at some time. After recent celebratory feast meals, as ever there is so much food been leftover. Trouble with this is that it’s there, so much of it and so tempting, hard to resist. Not good if one is trying to maintain control on diet and fitness.
Try to pass leftovers on with guests but we still have loads. Hate throwing stuff away, so it stays and the battle continues. More to come over this weekend too!!
Be interesting to learn how others deal with this challenge?

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Yep freeze it and eat the rest of it as part of your cals per day.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I am learning slowly about portion control which starts when I buy food, when I cook food and when I serve food. Nowadays there seems to be less "left overs".
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member

It’s no more wasted if you eat it when you don’t need it than it is in the bin!

This.

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Bring it to a homeless shelter. Call first to see if they'll accept it.

Give it to a church to deliver to some parishoners. Also call first.

Freeze it.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I’d rather it go in the garbage than into my body as weight gain. And I hate wasting food. If you can’t freeze it to eat later as others have said, and you can’t give it away, it might be best to toss it and move on.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    we dont eat leftovers, or at least not many of them. they get thrown out. despite what my grandmother used to tell me (or at least infer), me saving leftovers (or eating everything on your plate) has no effect on starving children anywhere else in the world....
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited August 2019
    My neighbour usually gives us her left overs.

It’s not just any leftovers, it’s all these exotic foods and sweets from the Middle East. She puts it fancy on a plate and even decorates the plate with greenery so it doesn’t look so left- overy.

Sharing is caring.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I personally love leftovers.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,078 Member
    While I enjoy cooking, leftovers are nice to have around when time or energy is short. Don't eat them in addition to other food -- eat them instead of other food. That works with your calorie budget, your financial budget, and not just throwing perfectly good food away. That doesn't just waste the food -- it wastes the energy, water, and other resources used to produce it.

http://www.fao.org/save-food/resources/keyfindings/en/