Chickpeas Calories

Hi!

I keep track of my calories and I need some info about something.

Regarding chickpeas, I eat them boiled with salt. I'm not sure how many calories are there. Usually I find on different websites that they either have 368 or 164 (per 100 grams).

As you can see, the difference is too big. So, is there a difference between soaked and raw? Because as you know you have to soak them for 24h before cooking them. Or is it just errors and chickpeas are 368/per 100g no matter what you do?

Thanks!

Replies

• Beckenzahler
    Beckenzahler Posts: 26 Member
    368 is for raw, dried chickpeas, 164 for soaked/cooked.

They slightly more than double in weight from water absorbed, in my experience (so the numbers add up just fine)
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Here's my nutrional values for dry and boiled chickpeas.....
  • sefajane1
    261io83hjtcc.jpg
  • sefajane1
    edited August 2019
    efe9z19ge1dk.jpg

I adjusted the number of servings to show you the values per 100g
  • wickfield1997
    wickfield1997 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you all for replying.
  • sefajane1
    I just noticed that the values you gave are a bit lower than mine. I'm tempted to use yours 😁 Your 368 cal's would be for dry weight and the 164 cal's would be for boiled weight.
    My dry weight values are taken from the packaging and the boiled values are from the same chickpeas.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I always weigh dry for all beans, lentils, rice, pasta, quinoa, bulgur wheat, buckwheat...basically anything that needs to be cooked in water before eating. Just seems more accurate to me.

Does cause the odd maths headache when I want to use dried in a recipe that stipulates canned though! The numbers don’t always add up as nicely as I’d like them to.

Incidentally, you don’t need to soak chickpeas or any bean overnight. They cook just fine without that soak. I’ve always brought them to the boil, boiled hard for 10mins (especially important for kidney beans) then covered and turned off the heat for an hour. After the hours ‘super soak’ they only need about another hour at a simmer.