Workout books

Options
Are there any good books on Amazon that have nothing but pre-made workouts? I don't wanna book that just list exercises I would like one that has like 30 min workouts. Some that that says do this to warm up, then do 3 sets of this and that, ect. Basically a personal trainer without the trainer. Thanks.

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • slimdownt
    slimdownt Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Any books for men?
  • slimdownt
    Options
    Bump
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    There's a ton of free material on the web. This link is from the "Most helpful posts" at the top of the forum.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Once you decide on what your goals are (build muscle/power lift/body build/endurance etc) choose a program and give it 2-3 months, see how it works for you.
  • slimdownt
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    What is your goal?
    What is your goal?

To loose weight and get more strength. I had a trainer but lost him so looking for a way to get exercise routines cause I have no clue what to do in gym.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    The wiki on the r/fitness subreddit is a pretty well curated resource for workout routines and lays out some strategy to hit the goals you've described.

edit for link: https://thefitness.wiki/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I like New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. I used that before I started working with a trainer. Rather than telling you to do this lift or that, it gives you templates to follow which dictate a type of movement and then you can select from a variety of lifts that fit that movement.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I like New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. I used that before I started working with a trainer. Rather than telling you to do this lift or that, it gives you templates to follow which dictate a type of movement and then you can select from a variety of lifts that fit that movement.

That's new to me @cwolfman13 - looks like it may be a perfect fit for me today. Thanks, going to look that up tonight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That's new to me @cwolfman13 - looks like it may be a perfect fit for me today. Thanks, going to look that up tonight.

It keeps things from getting too monotonous. I did Starting Strength when I first got back to the weight room and did it for about 6 months, but I found it woefully boring and monotonous and I didn't really care about having a huge back squat.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves may seem gender specific, but is not. It has a strong focus on the glute muscles. The program incorporates full-body/compound movements as well as accessory work to help with physique. If you can’t get past a woman on the cover (marketing), then you could look at Starting Strength and NROL-(nutrition info included). You may also want to review the Strong Lifts app for simple logging and progression with compound lifts (strength based).
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Strong - New Rules of Lifting. Women oriented book. The newer version of NROL for Women.

I also have used New Rules of Lifting Supercharged, also a fantastic book.

I'm a big fan of the NROL series.
  • MikeRobi81
    MikeRobi81 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    slimdownt wrote: »
    What is your goal?
    What is your goal?

To loose weight and get more strength. I had a trainer but lost him so looking for a way to get exercise routines cause I have no clue what to do in gym.

If I can recommend Jeff Cavaliere @ www.athleanx.com

He's the Guru of fitness. You don't need to buy his programs but I would recommend buying his AX-1. You can watch his YouTube channel and learn from the Master himself. He has full body workouts you can do for free.

As always, rule #1 is to make sure your nutrition is in check.
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    "You are your own gym" by Mark Lauren