Dr told me [after losing 20kg] that I'm too fat and I should try injections for weight loss

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I know weight loss clinics like giving B12 (with some stuff added) shots with needing a B12 deficiency for some magical reason. Maybe that's what it is
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,738 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    The first injection I thought of was HCG, which is quackery https://www.webmd.com/diet/hcg-and-weight-loss#1. I don't know why you would need injections to lose weight, but if this doctor is trying to sell you these, run away!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    Hi OP, let us all know what injections they are. I'm a nurse and NEVER in my career have I heard of injections for weight loss. If it were that easy we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic. Wat an odd suggestion, if it were me I'd continue on mfp and definately get a new dr. You said you got halfway by urself so you can do it! It's not a race, go slowly and surely. The hardest part of weight loss is the last few kilos, so browse the forums and learn as much as you can, there are 1000's of people here with sucsseful weight loss stories and very helpful tips. Goodluck! :)

Saxenda is an injection that people give themselves while trying to lose weight.

OP, seems to me you are doing just fine on your own right now. Was this doctor aware of the success you have already had? If yes, I wouldn't be going back to him.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Is this doctor an MD or one of those ND "doctors" <--- Sarcastic quotations
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Is this doctor an MD or one of those ND "doctors" <--- Sarcastic quotations

ND. Notta doctor? :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    The first injection I thought of was HCG, which is quackery https://www.webmd.com/diet/hcg-and-weight-loss#1. I don't know why you would need injections to lose weight, but if this doctor is trying to sell you these, run away!

Oh, right, HCG.

OP - if that is it, do get another doctor.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Hi OP, let us all know what injections they are. I'm a nurse and NEVER in my career have I heard of injections for weight loss. If it were that easy we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic. Wat an odd suggestion, if it were me I'd continue on mfp and definately get a new dr. You said you got halfway by urself so you can do it! It's not a race, go slowly and surely. The hardest part of weight loss is the last few kilos, so browse the forums and learn as much as you can, there are 1000's of people here with sucsseful weight loss stories and very helpful tips. Goodluck! :)

Saxenda is an injection that people give themselves while trying to lose weight.

OP, seems to me you are doing just fine on your own right now. Was this doctor aware of the success you have already had? If yes, I wouldn't be going back to him.

Ah yes thank you! You still have to maintain excersise and a calorie deficit on it though don't you? I'm not familiar.
  • wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Doctor may need a bigger boat (or fancier car, nicer house etc)
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i hope the OP finds another doctor.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I would fire that doctor very quickly.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    When I've told doctors I don't want whatever prescription or shots they're pushing, they don't take it too well, and usually I ended up shopping for a new doctor.

I wouldn't take anything for weightloss, especially if already succeeding on my own.

Years ago I tried some prescription from an MD that supposedly helped burn fat... What Dr failed to tell me was it increased testosterone levels to get that effect.

So, I trust nothing marketed for weight-loss including prescriptions.

B12 is a little different. I was b12 deficient, diagnosed by a lead neurologist at a pain center. But even he didn't push b12 shots, he told me the sublingual b vitamins (under the tongue tablets) are just as effective and more affordable than the shots. Had an OB/Gyn push b12 shots saying they were better. I tried for about a month. I returned to the tablets. Personally, I found the tablets more effective and way cheaper.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Ah yes thank you! You still have to maintain excersise and a calorie deficit on it though don't you? I'm not familiar.

As with any weight loss plan, yes, you have to maintain the calorie deficit. Exercise is optional, but can help for a variety of reasons.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    As far as I can tell, CICO is always what works. So many medications like this are used for accompanying conditions, like Metformin (a diabetes med) can aid weight loss as a side effect. Mind you, I'm not a know it all or a dr. It makes you feel like you're doing something to speed up weight loss. Duromine, all those weight loss tabs work at first, then (from experience) you stop and it's soooo easy to put it back on just as quick. If using medications is what you need to do no one can judge you for that, but at the end of the day, CICO is ALWAYS accompanied with these meds because it's what works. Every time. As with 1000's of successful people have shown in their journeys on MFP. My opinions only, not here to judge or be an *kitten*, just sharing. But good luck OP, you got this regardless :)