UPDATE, IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED

Options

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I know the OP, her account was closed down by MFP.
    She's going to see the mental health team after her father's visit ends. She's gained 3lbs since he arrived 12 days ago.

Those 3lbs (+ a bit more) are gone now.
    She'd been growing her hair for 2.5 years after losing it all through chemo. It grew back curly and really thick but over the last 6 months it was falling out at an alarming rate. She had it all cut off last week, down to a pixie crop, because it was so thin. That was a bit of a wake-up call for her. She's really trying to maintain or gain but it's a struggle for her.

VLCDs are NOT a good idea especially if you already have abad relationship with weight/food.

I really wish I had see this thread sooner. Can you please share this link with her? While professional help is crucial in over coming eating disorders so is support from people who don’t judge and understand. EDA saved my life. There are online meetings she can attend from anywhere to connect with others trying to recover from eating disorders, some with many years in recovery. http://eatingdisordersanonymous.org/online-meetings/

That's a great link @SCoil123, I've passed it on to her. Thank you 🤗

She's still really struggling but has made an appointment for 11th October with the mental health team. Hopefully she'll keep this one 🤞

Can you forcibly go with her? I think she really needs someone in person to make sure that she’s keeping this appointment. Because it’s so easy to keep cancelling appointments.
  • janeypoosandbob
    janeypoosandbob Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Your friend will make her October 11 appointment on time so as to help me save a good ~50 hours of travel time and >$4k in plane tickets which I will otherwise have to invest in in order to make sure that she does!!!!! 🙀

That made her laugh @PAV8888 😂😂
  • janeypoosandbob
    Options
    She's going to see the mental health team after her father's visit ends. She's gained 3lbs since he arrived 12 days ago.

She'd been growing her hair for 2.5 years after losing it all through chemo. It grew back curly and really thick but over the last 6 months it was falling out at an alarming rate. She had it all cut off last week, down to a pixie crop, because it was so thin. That was a bit of a wake-up call for her. She's really trying to maintain or gain but it's a struggle for her.

VLCDs are NOT a good idea especially if you already have abad relationship with weight/food.

I really wish I had see this thread sooner. Can you please share this link with her? While professional help is crucial in over coming eating disorders so is support from people who don’t judge and understand. EDA saved my life. There are online meetings she can attend from anywhere to connect with others trying to recover from eating disorders, some with many years in recovery. http://eatingdisordersanonymous.org/online-meetings/

She's still really struggling but has made an appointment for 11th October with the mental health team. Hopefully she'll keep this one 🤞

Can you forcibly go with her? I think she really needs someone in person to make sure that she’s keeping this appointment. Because it’s so easy to keep cancelling appointments.

Unfortunately not. We live on opposite sides of the country but her husband will be going with her. Providing that she doesn't cancel again 😤
  • janeypoosandbob
    Options

If you message me I can give you my email for her too. I have 6yr behavior free from my disorder. It’s hard but possible with counseling and support. I’d be happy to share my story in a more private setting and what I’ve learned along the way about recovery.

I'll PM you now 👍
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

If you message me I can give you my email for her too. I have 6yr behavior free from my disorder. It’s hard but possible with counseling and support. I’d be happy to share my story in a more private setting and what I’ve learned along the way about recovery.

I'll PM you now 👍

FYI, sometimes PMs do not go through unless people are "friends" first, so if you don't hear back from her, trying friending her.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'll PM you now 👍

FYI, sometimes PMs do not go through unless people are "friends" first, so if you don't hear back from her, trying friending her.

I didn’t get a message so I sent a friend request. I also clicked the OPs account and it appears active again so I sent her one as well.
  • janeypoosandbob
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'll PM you now 👍

I didn’t get a message so I sent a friend request. I also clicked the OPs account and it appears active again so I sent her one as well.

I just told her to look, her account is still restricted/blocked. Probably a good thing 🤔 I've accepted your friend request, thank you 😊
  • janeypoosandbob
    Options
    Arggggghhhh!!! 🤯
    She's just told me that her husband's work shift has changed which means that he can't go to the hospital with her (he'll be working 8am-4pm so it's not possible to get to the hospital during clinic hours) so she cancelled the appointment 🤬😵🤬
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update!

Has she been giving more consideration to returning to the UK where there are more treatment options? Does she have supportive family in the UK?
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    I am still on the extremely concerned side of things as, by the looks of it, drug based treatments are considered a support as opposed to main method of treating this (apparent) type of ed.

Supportive thoughts and wishes are getting transmitted!
  • Divadoctor
    Divadoctor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The solution for treating anorexia (which it sounds like this is) is to gain weight. Bottom line. There is no medication that will treat the underlying problem and medications are really only to support someone with regaining weight. The best success in the treatment of eating disorders like this are to regain a normal BMI, and it sounds like she really needs to be inpatient to help her do that.

When you have such severe caloric restriction--it may even be dangerous to increase back to a normal calorie intake without monitoring (with labs) because it can so drastically effect your electrolytes because of referring syndrome.

This kind of sustained very low-calorie diet in someone who is already malnourished with low BMI is very, very dangerous.

Anorexia is a deadly disease and is among the most serious mental health conditions with the highest mortality rates because of this.

Does her husband recognize the severity of her disease? Could her dad come back? It sounds like she needs to have all her family/friends mobilize to support her getting into formal treatment, even if that means she has to go back to access NHS services.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    +1 on weight restoration **in conjunction with other interventions**

Weight restoration appears to independently produce some positive changes to brain chemistry, similarly to how the previous caloric restriction produced negative ones.