What food(s) is the key to your success?

Options

Replies

• SheilaHandler
    SheilaHandler Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eggs, 0% Greek yogurt, chicken, crystal light with fibre, spinach (2 lbs of baby spinach a week), all vegetables, all berries, Splenda
    Staying away from sugar, breads, as much as possible though not eliminating them or anything
    On the road: McDonald's egg mcmuffin (300 cal), cheeseburger (300 cal), skim milk latte - the salads are ok but not as satisfying
    My diet generally goes off the rails if I don't get the protein in and if I get too many carbs - I find I get hungry when that happens.
  • Daisey4522
    Daisey4522 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes from a local bakery.

I kid you not. Seriously. this a real post/response.

When I have a cupcake I am more likely to show a loss on the scale the next day than if I don't have a cupcake. And the week not long ago that I ate one cupcake from there every single night of the week, I showed consistent loss on the scale with an overall higher loss that week than any week for the previous year.

It only works if I have one though. If I eat two, even if within my daily calories (which I always am with the one), then I won't see the loss on the scale.

And it keeps me going because they are best freakin' cupcakes I've ever found anywhere (and I've always been a cupcake freak, so I've eaten them from a lot of places across the country) so it's a wonderful pick-me up mentally to be able to treat myself to a cupcake, and a great motivator every time I see the scale continuing to move in the right direction.

I've joked with the owner of the shop that, once I hit my goal weight, I'm going to make a t-shirt that says "Body by Cupcakes" :D

That's awesome! I usually notice a weight loss when I eat pizza!
  • Daisey4522
    Options
    Through your weight loss journey I am sure you have encountered a few snacks, condiments, desserts, etc that have been a part of your success.

What are your top 1-3 foods you find yourself eating several days a week that really help you keep going?

The secret to my success seems to be more about what I don't eat.
    I recently went on a plant-based wholefoods (vegan) diet and as a result - it has had quite a pronounced effect on weight loss, and it has also been an incredibly easy transition. I feel healthier, lighter, and I have more energy.
    If I can pick three foods:
    - oats (porridge) for breakfast (50g of oats + 30g sultanas, cook in water and topped with 40ml of soymilk). Very satisfying.
    - nuts. Despite being calorie dense, it appears that the calories are not absorbed and research suggests that they may actually increase metabolic rate and contain a compound which triggers feelings of satiation. (citation provided on request)
    - beans - delicious and great protein. Beans also help to smooth blood sugar peaks and troughs and the phenomenon is known as the "second meal effect".

Wishing you all the best with your health and wellbeing goals.

Ben

Thank you! You too :)
  • Daisey4522
    Options
    Those tuna tempter cans in various flavours, I get them in bulk when they are on special, my cupboard looks like an Andy Warhol painting right now.

And red wine, the prospect of this pulls me through most days. :)

You know, Red Wine would definitely be on my list too! I had some last night as a matter of fact and saw a loss on the scale this morning :) Yes -- probably dehydration but I log everyday and the wine seems to help!
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Vanilla ice cream with Hershey's syrup, Nutella (i eat this at least 3 times a week), Talenti Caramel sea salt gelato, peanut butter, eggs, pancakes, anything from Chipotle, and alcohol (of any kind). Eat any of the above once in a while and this whole weight loss thing is easy peasy.
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I eat most of the same stuff everyday, so everything in my diary I guess. LOL.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I love big salads with grilled chicken -vinegrette or low cal italian dressing
    fruits for homemade smoothies for breakfast
    egg whites - so filling - low cal and i can do so many different things with them (like egg whites with a little feta - my favorite breakfast)
    and chicken and individual frozen fish - i like Tilapia - or salmon - i get a big bag of them that are individually frozen inside - great for a single or 2 person household)
    and of course veggies - i am a big veggie person - having your own garden makes it great you get out and do something having to take care of it and getting fresh veggies you grew yourself is amazing
  • karlahere
    karlahere Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That would be any food I myself prepare. Now I see why being able to prepare my own food contributes to fitness; the store-bought stuff and family meals tend to be the major calorie and sodium bombs.
  • AliciaNineteen72
    Options

1. Protein Ranch Dress (40 calories in 1/4 cup!) - It is a dressing made out of cottage cheese (you can also use Greek Yogurt) that tastes creamy and delicious! I have it almost everyday on salads or as a topping on burgers, or just about anything to add flavor.

Can we get the recipe for this? Pretty please?

Sure!

Protein Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

1 cup Cottage Cheese or Greek Yogurt
    1/2 pkg of Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Mix (or make your own mix and add 2 tsp)
    1/4 cup of water or milk. If you add milk the calories will obviously increase slightly. I use water, but I tend to have to use a little more than a 1/4 cup (maybe up to 1/2 cup).

Throw it all in a blender and done! It's best if you let it refrigerate for a half hour or so to let it thicken up.

Thank you for this! I've been dying for a good and lower calorie dressing!!! :D
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Stir Fry or Pasta Fesco = lots of veggies with noodles, grilled chicken and Asian or Italian sauce

Chobani Flip - Peach yogurt with dark chocolate and pistachios flpped in, 210 cals

Chobani Flip - Key Lime with graham crackers white chocolate 180 cals
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Love Green Salads with fresh Herbs and berries. .or watermellon and seeds Just sprinlked with fresh lemon and flax oil
    Later always 2 Brazil Nuts. .. popcorn In a brown bag with cinnamon and a tad of cayene or chipotle tabasco. ..if I'm feeling frisky ill grate orange rind and cacao!
    Lemon Water warm or cold with fresh Basil! .
    Watermellon always works, I try to keep some frozen chunks as well as frozen berries and cherries as they help me sleep. ;):flowerforyou:
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Right now - raspberries. Delicious and they're literally half fiber.

Sweet potatoes (the pre-wrapped ones you can microwave are great)

Various bowls made from chicken breast or 99% ground turkey (sweet and sour chicken with broccoli, pineapple and brown rice, enchilada with baked tostitos and lf cheese, taco...lots of varieties).

Skinny sushi from Wegmans. How I love thee.

And my soon-to-be-patented Elvis Burrito (multigrain flax wrap, banana, peanut butter).
  • Daisey4522
    Options

1. Protein Ranch Dress (40 calories in 1/4 cup!) - It is a dressing made out of cottage cheese (you can also use Greek Yogurt) that tastes creamy and delicious! I have it almost everyday on salads or as a topping on burgers, or just about anything to add flavor.

Can we get the recipe for this? Pretty please?

Sure!

Protein Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

1 cup Cottage Cheese or Greek Yogurt
    1/2 pkg of Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Mix (or make your own mix and add 2 tsp)
    1/4 cup of water or milk. If you add milk the calories will obviously increase slightly. I use water, but I tend to have to use a little more than a 1/4 cup (maybe up to 1/2 cup).

Throw it all in a blender and done! It's best if you let it refrigerate for a half hour or so to let it thicken up.

Thank you for this! I've been dying for a good and lower calorie dressing!!! :D

You are welcome! I hope you like it! I eat it just about everyday :)
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Bacon and steak.
    Seconded. More generally, meat. Meat is magic :)
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Quest bars.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Through your weight loss journey I am sure you have encountered a few snacks, condiments, desserts, etc that have been a part of your success.

What are your top 1-3 foods you find yourself eating several days a week that really help you keep going?

Here is my list:

2. Spinach & Cheese Lean Pocket (250 calories) - I am not suggesting this to anyone, because it would be better to eat "clean" but this is my "grab-and-go" meal if I need one. It really when I have no time to prepare something to eat and instead of stopping off at a restaurant or splurging I eat one of these. I love to dip this in a little bit of my protein ranch dressing (above) ;)

3. Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich (150 calories) - For those times that I am craving something sweet, this is amazingly satisfying :)

Response is different than what you're asking, but this is me...

I eat everything I want, but in moderation. I believe total deprivation of fave foods will lead to binging - at least for me it would. (Right or wrong?!) I live on 3 meals a day and quit eating when I 'feel' full...then I do cardio 5-7 days/week, 30 mins/day. =))

Thanks for your fave foods - the ranch and lean pockets sound good! I love love love Nickles Light 35 Multigrain Bread - 35 cals per slice!
  • dianawall532
    Options
    All I seem to eat is:

mushroom and spring onion omelettes

weight watchers meals ranging from 211-297 calories

cereal with skimmed milk

grilled turkey marinated in soy sauce and chilli powder with a big salad

For my sweet snack its a weight watchers cornettos 135 cals and yummy
  • Daisey4522
    Options

Here is my list:

2. Spinach & Cheese Lean Pocket (250 calories) - I am not suggesting this to anyone, because it would be better to eat "clean" but this is my "grab-and-go" meal if I need one. It really when I have no time to prepare something to eat and instead of stopping off at a restaurant or splurging I eat one of these. I love to dip this in a little bit of my protein ranch dressing (above) ;)

3. Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich (150 calories) - For those times that I am craving something sweet, this is amazingly satisfying :)

Response is different than what you're asking, but this is me...

I eat everything I want, but in moderation. I believe total deprivation of fave foods will lead to binging - at least for me it would. (Right or wrong?!) I live on 3 meals a day and quit eating when I 'feel' full...then I do cardio 5-7 days/week, 30 mins/day. =))

Thanks for your fave foods - the ranch and lean pockets sound good! I love love love Nickles Light 35 Multigrain Bread - 35 cals per slice!

I completely agree! I have not cut anything completely out of my diet. I just eat smaller portions or less often. If I cut the foods out completely I would definitely binge. I feel like the way I eat now is a way I can live for my life and not just a temporary diet.
  • nataliem257
    nataliem257 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    La Bandarita low carb tortillas. 86 calories and 5 grams of net carbs. Just as filling as a sandwich and a really good option when you're on the go. Also, switching from mayo to mustard, and stopping putting cheese on sandwiches has cut at least 200-300 calories out of my day. Doesn't taste as good, but I end up just as full.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I eat "everything", but now finally in moderation.

My "Go To" foods are:

Egg Whites - Fill you up fast and are very high in protein
    Popcorn - When I want to snack
    Celery with Sunflower butter
    String Cheese
    Chicken Breast pre-prepared
    Carrots
    Bananas

Of course I still eat Pizza, Ice Cream, Mexican - I just plan ahead!