Options
2»

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    missGYST wrote: »
    Keliz1173 wrote: »
    Keto is not a magic bullett, still requires tracking, planning and effort.
    I think this can be the biggest thing that's overlooked when someone decides to start a ketogenic diet. It's a lot of effort. It's a lot of pre-planning. It's a lot of sacrifice. It's not just wrapping a bacon cheeseburger in a piece of lettuce and going to town.

My doctor recommended it to me as a lifestyle change to deal with autoimmune disease. I was not at a point where I was ready to give up my favorite crutch (alcohol) but for a year, I read and watched videos ad nauseum. Now that I'm ready to make the changes, I know very well that it's not just a matter of watching my carbs, I need to make sure my calories are right, my protein is right, my fats are at but not over goal, I'm getting the minerals I need, etc. Honestly, if I didn't have lupus I don't know that I'd be doing this over straight up CICO. It's not a quick, no effort weight loss magic bullet. It's a constant state of being conscious of every single thing that crosses your lips. (which I guess CICO is also, but there's more wiggle room there)

@missGYST

Keto is miraculous when it comes to the health issues for the doctor recommended medical problems.

My daughter has had Crohn's since 6 yrs old. And the improvement to her health and bowel issues in just two months is far more significant than anything else we've tried over the years.

But for an otherwise healthy person trying to drop weight, I just don't think it's doable for majority long term.

It's too restrictive and depriving unless you "have to" for medical reasons.

It is definitely worth a try for autoimmune disorders, PCOS, other cystic disorders, t2diabetes, and epilepsy etc.

Good luck, hope you find healing!

I was rushing out the door to get my daughter to a doctor's appointment when I typed that.

For most on Keto long term, they have the medical conditions listed above, and conditions do improve on Keto, but I wanted to add that a lot of these conditions improve by just losing weight and/or cutting carbs to a low carb diet, not having to go "keto" low.

I see people on here all the time who have reversed their diabetes by losing weight or dropping carbs to 150 grams a day. I don't believe dropping to under 30 grams is necessary to see significant improvement.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    Options
    missGYST wrote: »
    @missGYST

Keto is miraculous when it comes to the health issues for the doctor recommended medical problems.

My daughter has had Crohn's since 6 yrs old. And the improvement to her health and bowel issues in just two months is far more significant than anything else we've tried over the years.

But for an otherwise healthy person trying to drop weight, I just don't think it's doable for majority long term.

It's too restrictive and depriving unless you "have to" for medical reasons.

It is definitely worth a try for autoimmune disorders, PCOS, other cystic disorders, t2diabetes, and epilepsy etc.

Good luck, hope you find healing!
    Thank you so much! I'm hoping that weight control might help me reduce the amount of pills I have to take every day. I'm so happy that you're able to find relief for your daughter! Poor baby - I got diagnosed when I was 28 and I had a hard time dealing with it then, I can't even imagine what it's like for a child. I'm so happy for you (and for her!) that she's improving. I agree with you too... I have friends who have started keto strictly for dieting and invariably within a month it's over. It's super difficult to think about doing this on the long term, but I'm going to give it a shot. :)

I battle with this one!!! Because, I wish we could go back to the way we were eating.

We maintained healthy weight for years, eating what we wanted. I've commented on other post that when I first lost weight (gained from injury) years ago (before getting sick), if I craved a doughnut, I went to bakery and bought one doughnut. If I wanted pizza, would fix a lite pizza at home, but never deprived myself.

I am starting to feel a little deprived on Keto. But, when I caved the other day and had a home-baked dinner roll...I paid for it, bloat and pain. It kind of sucks to be stuck feeling deprived for life.

When I say keto is miraculous for health conditions, I mean things like this. I don't think others can understand, unless have dealt with an illness for years that causes so much crippling pain, and to change diet and have the pain gone. For the first time in a couple of years, being able to go to the grocery store and not wince in pain with every step from stomach pain. Not that it's a miracle cure-all.

We had read that keto helps fibromyalgia. My fiance tried keto for two months for his fibromyalgia, saw zero improvement, and quit keto.

First month he dropped a little weight, second month he gained weight. No improvement in pain, he quit. Started back eating carbs, tracking calorie intake, and he's losing weight again.

I talk to people in groups with epilepsy, and they have no seizures or headaches while eating really low carb, but try to reintroduce carbs and symptoms start up again. It's not a cure, it keeps some symptoms at bay.

I don't believe it is a practical diet for weight loss. But it does treat the symptoms of some health conditions, not a cure!

• Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Whenever I greet newbies to the forum, if they've mentioned keto, my response includes "research, research, research". I wonder how many do. 😟

Great contributions to this thread. 👍

@LyndaBSS

It's so hard to research keto, because of all the hype, unrealistic stories (which can happen, but very rarely), and all the quackery on the subject out there.

I see people on here upset because they started Keto and only lost 5 in the first week, when they were expecting to lose 25-35 lbs of water weight in the first week.

I also see bad ideas like not needing to count calories on keto... Which can be dangerous if eating too low, and counter productive if eating too high.

The information for weight loss on keto is confusing or conflicting site to site, some completely far fetched.

It's very sad and disheartening seeing so many try it and fail... And end up discouraged.