Gave up sugar, EXTREME hunger!!

Options
I gave up sugar 6 days ago and I swear to you I feel like a vacuum. I just ate a full meal and still feel like i could keep going. It started about 3 days into everything. I also am very, very thirsty.

When I get hungry, which is basically all the time now, I feel like I'm going to die if I don't eat. I get a headache, start to shake, and become extremely agitated.

Is this normal and when can I look for it to pass? Its miserable.

Replies

• ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in pre diabetes. That's why I gave up sugar. And my diet was basically made up of sweets and carbs.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    get a help with the doctor about less sugar diet. IF you are pre diabetes, maybe some prescritpion to control sugar levels. Do you not have equipment to check sugar levels in blood?
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Maybe decline your sugar instead of going cold turkey or replace processed sugar with fruits
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    That's yet another thing. I still eat fruit. I had fruit salad and a turkey wrap for lunch. There's carbs and sugar. But I haven't had like chocolate, cookies, candy, cake..nothing like that in 6 days. I used to eat junk every single day if it fit into my calories. My body is being slammed for it. I also have been extremely tired and my body aches all over. I'm going through actual withdrawal. I just want to know when and if it'll end.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    If you would open your diary so that folks could see what you actually are consuming, there might be some helpful input. At this point, it's really hard to guess what might be happening although the symptoms sound like hypoglycemia or an electrolyte issue. If it continues, though, consult your primary care provider.
  • Constance320
    Constance320 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's yet another thing. I still eat fruit. I had fruit salad and a turkey wrap for lunch. There's carbs and sugar. But I haven't had like chocolate, cookies, candy, cake..nothing like that in 6 days. I used to eat junk every single day if it fit into my calories. My body is being slammed for it. I also have been extremely tired and my body aches all over. I'm going through actual withdrawal. I just want to know when and if it'll end.

Are you sure it's not the keto flu? Presumably, if your body is used to 500 grams of sugar daily and you cut it down to 100-150 i would imagine that could happen. How much protein are you getting?
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Stay your course. It’ll pass
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Time for a trip to the doctor to get him/her up to speed regarding these severe reactions to diet change.

Agree with this completely ^^^^^

I'm speaking as a diabetic. Your glucose levels are not something you can afford to fool around with.

Your endocrinologist should have had you meet with his office's dietician before you started something new.

In the US, it is not common to have an endocrinologist unless you are an insulin dependent diabetic or otherwise having issues that warrant more care than Metformin and monitoring.

I'm in the US. That said, I also had my thyroid removed, so I had an endo anyway.