Gave up sugar, EXTREME hunger!!

Options
2»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    This does not sound like something a pre-diabetic should be going through. I am a little worried that your diagnosis is incorrect.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm a little confused between OP'S posts and some of the replies. If OP was simply told they were pre diabetic, this doesn't mean they necessarily need to control carbs or track blood sugar levels or has an endocrinologist. Pre diabetes isn't a condition or diagnosis, it's just a warning that you're headed in that direction. And OP says they are still eating wraps, sandwiches, fruit.

I don’t know where OP is from, but in the UK the standard advice for blood sugars that are above the healthy range but below diagnosed diabetic range (not all doctors in the UK even use the term “prediabetic” though mine does) is to lose weight to a healthy BMI if overweight, cut out added sugars and reduce “white” starches, by which they mean go for Wholemeal versions of bread, pasta, rice etc with more fibre. They don't limit fruit but suggest you go for at least 3 portions of veg a day. . We wouldn’t be referred to an endocrinologist but our blood sugars would be checked at the GP approx every six months.

This seems normal for here too. Advice to lose weight, cut back on added sugar (which very often comes with fat, btw), and switch out refined for whole grain foods is not all that specific to "prediabetes" (on what that means I recommend the recent Sigma Nutrition interview with Nicola Guess). But this isn't really a special diabetic diet, it's what the dietary guidelines recommend for healthy eating and common advice to people trying to lose.

It's also not inconsistent with what kimny said about there being no necessary reason to assume OP needs to control carbs or track blood sugar levels, etc.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'm a little confused between OP'S posts and some of the replies. If OP was simply told they were pre diabetic, this doesn't mean they necessarily need to control carbs or track blood sugar levels or has an endocrinologist. Pre diabetes isn't a condition or diagnosis, it's just a warning that you're headed in that direction. And OP says they are still eating wraps, sandwiches, fruit.

I don’t know where OP is from, but in the UK the standard advice for blood sugars that are above the healthy range but below diagnosed diabetic range (not all doctors in the UK even use the term “prediabetic” though mine does) is to lose weight to a healthy BMI if overweight, cut out added sugars and reduce “white” starches, by which they mean go for Wholemeal versions of bread, pasta, rice etc with more fibre. They don't limit fruit but suggest you go for at least 3 portions of veg a day. . We wouldn’t be referred to an endocrinologist but our blood sugars would be checked at the GP approx every six months.

This seems normal for here too. Advice to lose weight, cut back on added sugar (which very often comes with fat, btw), and switch out refined for whole grain foods is not all that specific to "prediabetes" (on what that means I recommend the recent Sigma Nutrition interview with Nicola Guess). But this isn't really a special diabetic diet, it's what the dietary guidelines recommend for healthy eating and common advice to people trying to lose.

It's also not inconsistent with what kimny said about there being no necessary reason to assume OP needs to control carbs or track blood sugar levels, etc.

Yeah, and my concern is more that everyone is focusing on cutting too much sugar for a diabetic, but if she just had a checkup and is not diabetic, there's no reason for cutting out sweet treats to cause extreme hunger, headache, shakes, fatigue etc. And I don't want OP to just shrug it off as getting used to the diet change when it is most likely something else.

What she described sounds exactly like a low blood sugar event which is why I think people are responding the way they are. I don't think it makes sense with a pre-D diagnosis so I agree with you. This is why I am concerned that her diagnosis is incorrect. I am not sure how that can happen. If she was not properly fasted her BG would be high so that is easy. I am not sure if a very high carb diet can goose an a1c but I barely understand what that is only that it is a result of ~90 days.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Yeah, and my concern is more that everyone is focusing on cutting too much sugar for a diabetic, but if she just had a checkup and is not diabetic, there's no reason for cutting out sweet treats to cause extreme hunger, headache, shakes, fatigue etc. And I don't want OP to just shrug it off as getting used to the diet change when it is most likely something else.

What she described sounds exactly like a low blood sugar event which is why I think people are responding the way they are. I don't think it makes sense with a pre-D diagnosis so I agree with you. This is why I am concerned that her diagnosis is incorrect. I am not sure how that can happen. If she was not properly fasted her BG would be high so that is easy. I am not sure if a very high carb diet can goose an a1c but I barely understand what that is only that it is a result of ~90 days.

So OP, I think our amateur consensus is this is NOT normal. If you are eating at a steep deficit, eat more. If you are still feeling this way today, especially the shakes, agitation, and body aches, it might not be a bad idea to pop into your doctor's office or an urgent care office and see if a pro can spot the cause.

Just cutting back on sweet treats while still eating other carbs should not lead to these symptoms, or really any noticable symptoms, assuming you are not in fact diabetic. Let us know!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Yes, good point.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Your doctor can help you better if you gather some data. Get a glucometer and record your blood sugar several times a day. Also record what you ate and how you felt throughout the day. Stuff like shakiness, thirst, make it all into a chronological journal. Show all this info to your doctor so s/he can put the pieces together and see how it all correlates.