Supplements

Options
13»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    sb7q1wwlryw2.jpg

Didn’t follow format so I know nothing about you or your goals. But that is not that important.

Mount an argument for it.

What does "that" refer to?

Post 4

The entire pyramid? Not some specific element of it? I'm not sure I understand what saying the entire pyramid is "not that important" means. Are you saying that you disagree that calories, macronutrients, and micronutrients are more important to nutrition than meal time and supplements?

She/he is saying it's not relevant to the original post.

The sentence I asked OP about didn't mention relevance; it spoke about importance. I'm not sure this is worth pursuing, especially with a third-party offering explanations of what a post by the OP meant.

I will clarify.

I started this thread to get considered information that I and others could read and extrapolate. I set up a template that I thought could best achieve that.

Before I even got a chance to put my own thoughts in I got a diagram. Now no doubt that the diagram is meaningful, but it wasn’t meaningful to achieve what I was trying to achieve.

Let me explain. I am in a meal tracker which tracks calories macros etc etc. I stated that I was on a ketogenic diet. All should suggest that I have considered things like the picture demonstrates and I was narrowing down on supplements.

None the less and as stated in first post I was interested in considered opinions do I asked the poster to make and argument for what they posted. I got no such reply.

Hope that helps you understand what I meant and my mindset.

Thanks for putting so much effort into your explanation, as I do feel like I understand your mindset.

I still don't understand the meaning of the sentence I asked about, which said that some unidentified "that" wasn't important. But after all this time, I've pretty much lost interest in the answer. And it sounds like the thread is working for you. :)
  • scottyaus2732
    scottyaus2732 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was referring to the fact that no goal was given and format was not followed.

I was trying to establish that was not important, what was important as they backed up their post with a considered opinion.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

I was trying to establish that was not important, what was important as they backed up their post with a considered opinion.

Thanks. Now that you say it, it makes perfect sense. I just kept reading it as though "that" referred to something in the post you were replying to (e.g., that calories weren't important, or macros weren't important). Sorry to be so slow.
  • scottyaus2732
    Options
    All good.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »

Bodybuilding - Currently on a slow slow cut @ 255lbs, I call my current condition fluffy
    D3 and Magnesium Bys
    Protein to make numbers
    Almost ALL of them in my opinion, unless you've had a blood test done or doctor advised I view them as a waste of $$$. I've tried so many different things noticed no difference in body composition or general well being. Majority of supplement companies do put in things that are "good" for you but the amounts are under dosed... so again what's the point? (I made a similar comment yesterday when speaking about pre-workouts)

here's an example - Cucurmin $50 for a bottle of 120 pills ...ingredients Turmeric / black pepper... so I just need to go to the bulk foods store and can buy the same amount of Turmeric for $3-$4 add it to my shakes and make them spicy. - I did this for awhile noticed no difference again but just an example of a rip off/ waste of time and $

I'm always open to learning more, I don't think I know everything just always lean towards professional services and help from professionals apposed to opinions kind of thing.

The problem with curcumin is the dose you need to see an effect and the associated cost. The other problem is that if you take curcumin alone it's not well absorbed by the body. That's why if you buy capsules they generally come with some other ingredient like black pepper, which contains piperine, which helps the body absorb the curcumin. Otherwise it goes straight through you.

One more thing, if you buy turmeric it contains about 2% by volume of curcumin, which is really what yields the health benefits. So in order to get the recommended dose of curcumin, 500-1000mg, you need to eat 25000-50000mg, or 25-50 grams, of turmeric a day. And you need to mix that with something that will make your body absorb it better, like black pepper. That's a LOT of turmeric. All of that adds up to the reason it's not cheap in pill form.

However, curcumin has some pretty solid scientific evidence of it's efficacy for reducing inflammation and arthritis pain, among other ailments. https://examine.com/supplements/curcumin/. Still, it's just not worth it for me. That *kitten* is expensive!

Thanks for sharing, understand now why I didn't see any benefits.

Have an amazing day!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Thanks. Now that you say it, it makes perfect sense. I just kept reading it as though "that" referred to something in the post you were replying to (e.g., that calories weren't important, or macros weren't important). Sorry to be so slow.

It's okay have a great day. ;)
  • nicolesnutrition
    nicolesnutrition Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »

Bodybuilding - Currently on a slow slow cut @ 255lbs, I call my current condition fluffy
    D3 and Magnesium Bys
    Protein to make numbers
    Almost ALL of them in my opinion, unless you've had a blood test done or doctor advised I view them as a waste of $$$. I've tried so many different things noticed no difference in body composition or general well being. Majority of supplement companies do put in things that are "good" for you but the amounts are under dosed... so again what's the point? (I made a similar comment yesterday when speaking about pre-workouts)

here's an example - Cucurmin $50 for a bottle of 120 pills ...ingredients Turmeric / black pepper... so I just need to go to the bulk foods store and can buy the same amount of Turmeric for $3-$4 add it to my shakes and make them spicy. - I did this for awhile noticed no difference again but just an example of a rip off/ waste of time and $

I'm always open to learning more, I don't think I know everything just always lean towards professional services and help from professionals apposed to opinions kind of thing.

The problem with curcumin is the dose you need to see an effect and the associated cost. The other problem is that if you take curcumin alone it's not well absorbed by the body. That's why if you buy capsules they generally come with some other ingredient like black pepper, which contains piperine, which helps the body absorb the curcumin. Otherwise it goes straight through you.

One more thing, if you buy turmeric it contains about 2% by volume of curcumin, which is really what yields the health benefits. So in order to get the recommended dose of curcumin, 500-1000mg, you need to eat 25000-50000mg, or 25-50 grams, of turmeric a day. And you need to mix that with something that will make your body absorb it better, like black pepper. That's a LOT of turmeric. All of that adds up to the reason it's not cheap in pill form.

However, curcumin has some pretty solid scientific evidence of it's efficacy for reducing inflammation and arthritis pain, among other ailments. https://examine.com/supplements/curcumin/. Still, it's just not worth it for me. That *kitten* is expensive!

Thanks for sharing, understand now why I didn't see any benefits.

Have an amazing day!

One other thing to note about curcumin/turmeric supplements is that forms that are hydro-soluble with also absorb better than the forms with the black pepper extract.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Goals: Health improvement, physical and mental.

Supps: Multi (brand varies, usually a higher-end brand available at the store [not online only]) magnesium citrate, probiotics, and sometimes fish oil. I am trying to add more fish to my diet instead right now.

I now consider the magnesium to be the most important thing I take. I notice an immediate increase in my anxiety when I start running low (I usually take two per day, but will switch to 1 if I'm running out) or out, and an almost immediate improvement when I resume my normal dosage.

https://examine.com/supplements/magnesium/ - supports my findings.
  • scottyaus2732
    Options
    I’m with you on magnesium.