What transfixes you?

Options
caco_ethes
caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
This is maybe too specific but every now and then there’s a line from a song or a plot twist in a movie that completely grips my attention and i remember it for years. Some things are just so mysterious and intriguing.

What are those things for you? These are just loose concepts, no attachments to reality required. Also they don’t need to be from movies or books.

Examples:

-a particularly unusual news story
-a twist from a ghost story
-urban legends
-supernatural activities
-micro cosmos

Maybe a lot of these will stem from your childhood, they seem to for me.

Replies

• caco_ethes
    Options
    One for me is the lyrics from that crash test dummies song where it talks about the kid’s hair going from black to bright white overnight
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    A broken egg on the sidewalk with a dead baby bird inside. Not trying to be provocative, just that’s the kind of thing that has stayed with me. Other stuff like that too. Which is kind of interesting when I think of the concept that we become what we behold.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The time I had to get my transmission fixed on my old car. I remember very clearly the tow truck coming to take my car to a garage because I was stuck in the middle of a busy road.
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Parts of songs always have, or sometimes entire songs, or rarely entire albums. I'll get on these kicks where I feel like I'm hearing something transcendent and I just can't let go, I'd wear out tapes (when they were a thing) and I'd try to convince everybody around me to hear it too but other than rare exceptions, they never could. The frustration of becoming fixated on something so beautiful that I couldn't really share with anybody, no matter how hard I tried, has stuck with me
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    I used to obsess over which parent I would save from the pit of hell if I could only choose one.
  • caco_ethes
    edited August 2019
    Options
    not me, but my lil girl

we she was 6 we went to the museum and they did a talk on the cosmos, in one part they mentioned that the moon was slowly moving away from the earth

she cried that night bc she was so upset the moon would go away, even if it was a billion years down the road

then somehow it ingrained in her head and shook her real bad, like for months after she would be brushing her hair or whatever and just freeze, turn pale, and say “i just thought about the moon again” then tears

she’s ten now and we went to that museum a couple weeks back and went to the floor where the talk was and as soon as she walked into the room she clapped her hand over her mouth and whispered “omg t h e m o o n . . . . . .”

Oh my gosh, poor baby. I can completely relate to that feeling. When i wasabout her age i remember having the concept of eternity explained to me and i still remember the way it paralyzed me. I would lay in bed at night and i could let my mind follow this specific series of thoughts that would bring me back to that feeling of being completely removed from my physical reality to thoughts of the eternal realm and the juxtaposition made me physically uncomfortable and super melancholy. I remember doing it often and then I didn’t anymore until i was a teenager and i laid in bed one night and followed the same track of thoughts and i was right back to that powerless feeling of ‘what is the point of it all?’
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    i was off work the week of thanksgiving and my ma had come to visit. i was chilling playing Gears of War 2 on my 360. she was just sitting there watching it with me. she was like "i can't believe how real this looks it's like a movie" and how she couldn't believe they went from Super Mario back when we were kids to where it was then. she got a kick out of how i still had our working NES from back then too. just good conversation at a happy time.

anyhow they used the song "how it ends" by Devotchka in the trailer for that game and every time i hear it now it's like im stuck back in that day and i don't know if today is real or not anymore.

Its weird how songs can transport you and make reality feel not real. Sometimes i hear a song, like maybe an 80s pop song, and it takes me right back to being a kid on a summer morning hearing my mom’s alarm radio going off. I can hear the birds outside her open window and there’s a fat cat on my feet and i get to roll over in bed and go back to sleep. Except bam, I’m really in a big grocery store and I’m an adult now and i can never have that carefree existence ever again and the feeling is so powerful that it takes hours to shake the sadness off
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    "You were so cool you could have put out Vietnam" - from Haunted by Shane MacGowan and Sinead O'Connor

The "Jesus wept" moment from Hellraiser

• ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    Parts of songs always have, or sometimes entire songs, or rarely entire albums. I'll get on these kicks where I feel like I'm hearing something transcendent and I just can't let go, I'd wear out tapes (when they were a thing) and I'd try to convince everybody around me to hear it too but other than rare exceptions, they never could. The frustration of becoming fixated on something so beautiful that I couldn't really share with anybody, no matter how hard I tried, has stuck with me

Yes! This! Sometimes I hear certain lyrics or a tune and I just... become obsessed with it because its so beautiful
  • Pandemonium_
    Pandemonium_ Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Watching a dust devil
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »
    "You were so cool you could have put out Vietnam" - from Haunted by Shane MacGowan and Sinead O'Connor

When sinead o’connor shaved her head. I remember that vividly as a kid. I found it deeply haunting for some reason
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    SwannySez wrote: »

When sinead o’connor shaved her head. I remember that vividly as a kid. I found it deeply haunting for some reason

I don’t remember that. I do remember her ripping up the pope though
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Memento - that moment when you realize he's deliberately manipulating himself.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Danny Noonan's putt from Caddyshack.

f3XyVO.gif

giphy.gif

• ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    iMago wrote: »
    i was off work the week of thanksgiving and my ma had come to visit. i was chilling playing Gears of War 2 on my 360. she was just sitting there watching it with me. she was like "i can't believe how real this looks it's like a movie" and how she couldn't believe they went from Super Mario back when we were kids to where it was then. she got a kick out of how i still had our working NES from back then too. just good conversation at a happy time.

anyhow they used the song "how it ends" by Devotchka in the trailer for that game and every time i hear it now it's like im stuck back in that day and i don't know if today is real or not anymore.

Its weird how songs can transport you and make reality feel not real. Sometimes i hear a song, like maybe an 80s pop song, and it takes me right back to being a kid on a summer morning hearing my mom’s alarm radio going off. I can hear the birds outside her open window and there’s a fat cat on my feet and i get to roll over in bed and go back to sleep. Except bam, I’m really in a big grocery store and I’m an adult now and i can never have that carefree existence ever again and the feeling is so powerful that it takes hours to shake the sadness off

I get this exact thing when I hear George Michael. It transports me back to my childhood home, playing in the garden in the summer holidays, my mum would lay out on the grass and blast George Michael for 6 weeks straight. I can still smell the bonfire from the farm down the road, hear the children next door playing, my mum singing along (she always gets the lyrics wrong and it makes me smile). The sun seemed so hot then and the sky was the bluest of blues. I was so happy because I had 6 weeks to play outside and see my mum who was so busy for the rest of the year. Sometimes I put George Michael on just so I can revisit those times.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I love you.
    I know.