Tweak my workout

Age 45, bf 16%. I lift weights for 45 mins twice a week. I mostly do reps of 10-8-6 I do the below pretty much every time. What could I change to get some extra bang for my buck without developing a new program?

Beach press free weights
Pec-deck machine
Leg extension machine
Leg curl hamstring machine
Bicep curl machine
Pull down lat machine
Ab crunch machine
Side lateral shoulder raise machine
I also play basketball for 1 hr before I lift

Thanks!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Is there a reason you don't squat, deadlift, or OHP?
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member

Not really. No spotter and fear of injury. Plus these things take room and I don’t see an area for it in my gym.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    allother94 wrote: »

Not really. No spotter and fear of injury. Plus these things take room and I don’t see an area for it in my gym.

If you bench press free weights, then it stands to reason there is a barbell with free weights... you should be able to overhead press with or without spotter, same for deadlifts. Is there a squat cage?
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Age 45, bf 16%. I lift weights for 45 mins twice a week. I mostly do reps of 10-8-6 I do the below pretty much every time. What could I change to get some extra bang for my buck without developing a new program?

Beach press free weights
    Pec-deck machine
    Leg extension machine
    Bicep curl machine
    Pull down lat machine
    Ab crunch machine

Thanks!

if you're trying to put on some Muscle Mass, I would change most of it.
    But if your goal is to just maintain what you have and stay active, this is limited, but fine.

What is your goal?
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Is there a reason why you are using machines for so much?? Dumbbells and barbells would imo work more muscles at a time including all the little stabiliser muscles Plus I don't see anything for triceps or calves.

Personally I would add some close grip to the benching, (plus maybe incline/decline), and skull crushers. Plus I do some dumbbell benching.
    I never use a pec deck, instead I do flies.
    Leg extension/curl - replace with squats and deadlifts
    Bicep curls with a bar/dumbbells (occasionally add in hammer curls)
    Pull down - keep that
    Ab crunch machine - blah, by using free weights you'll be working your core more anyway, maybe add in some plank variations, hanging leg raises, bench crunches
    For shoulders, overhead press with the bar, dumbbell shoulder press, lateral raises, side raises.

Add in some calf raises, tricep extentions, press up variations
  • allother94
    tlpina82 wrote: »

Beach press free weights
    Pec-deck machine
    Leg extension machine
    Bicep curl machine
    Pull down lat machine
    Ab crunch machine

Thanks!

But if your goal is to just maintain what you have and stay active, this is limited, but fine.

What is your goal?

I put on about 15lbs of muscle using this routine over the last year, but I’ve flattened. I think my goal is to get stronger without getting fatter.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member

No spotter and fear of injury would suggest you are trying to lift too heavy too soon. You have to progress slowly. Is there a squat rack/cage?
    If your goal is strength, I like stronglifts 5x5, but it calls for squat, bench, OHP, deadlifts and rows.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I would remove leg extensions and curls or at least put less priority.

If a leg press is available it would be a decent choice for a main lift. Lunges and/or step ups on the 2nd day.

I would lean towards deadlifts one day and/or RDL's or stiff leg DL on the other.

A row would be beneficial especially if Deadlift isn't inserted.

Also to gain strength, one doesn't have to gain fat. That is more common with hypertrophy focus.

Not knowing how you program your template I have no other advice.
  • allother94
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the help! Sounds like I need to work on this.

In high school we did the power clean, dead lift, bench, and leg press. I am pretty comfortable with them. What if I went to those 4 and kept the pull down lats. Would that be somewhat sound? What other 2-3 exercises should I add for a good 2x a week total body?

I know there are programs out there I can read about, but I’m on my own here and am hoping to work with what I know to start and add new ones slowly.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I know there are programs out there I can read about, but I’m on my own here

I don't know what that means, but if you don't want to use a proven program, then add deadlifts, squats or leg press, overhead presses, pull-ups or lat pulldowns, and suitcase walking lunges for lateral strength & stability (which the other exercises lack). Power cleans are a specialized exercise for power, not for general strength.
  • tlpina82

Beach press free weights
    Pec-deck machine
    Leg extension machine
    Bicep curl machine
    Pull down lat machine
    Ab crunch machine

Thanks!

What is your goal?

I put on about 15lbs of muscle using this routine over the last year, but I’ve flattened. I think my goal is to get stronger without getting fatter.

You've been working out for over a year with the same program, so I'd say any change will give you some results.
    Your plateau is understandable.
    First thing i would change is... Stop the cardio before the lift.
    1 hour of cardio before lifting is taking from your intensity, thus affecting the proper execution of the exercises and possibly making you more susceptible to injury.
    You're used to your routine now, but when you change it, you're going to feel it.

I'd also get away from machines as much as possible, allowing those free weights to work on fibers that haven't been used in a while.

Also, promote some natural vascular occlusion (Drive the blood out of the muscle) forcing your muscle to work on fibers alone.

Try this routine for a month or 2.

2 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions, using challenging but not very heavy weights. Keep control at 3030.(That's 3 seconds up, 3 seconds down with no stop until you finish your set)

Upper Body
    Bench press
    Cable Row
    Incline Bench Press
    Reverse Grip Lat pulldown
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    Triangle Grip Lat Pulldown

3 sets of 8 to 15 repetitions, using challenging but not very heavy weights. Keep control at 3030.(That's 3 seconds up, 3 seconds down with no stop until you finish your set)

Lower Body
    Leg Press
    Weighted Squats
    Lying Leg Curls
    Calf Raises on Leg press.

Then, for months 3 and 4, promote some vascular occlusion. Use the same routine, this time at 2020 (That's 2 seconds up, 2 seconds down with no stop until you finish your set)
    BUT, before you start the exercises, hold the weight at a half flex for 15 seconds to drive the blood out of your muscles.
    You may need to lower your weight a little bit becuase of the 15 second hold, but you are not losing strenght if that happens. Your body is just not used to it.

If possible, also split these workouts in Mon, Thu (Upper Body) and Tue, Fri (Lower Body).
    5 min quick warmup and some functional stretch after.
    Wed and Sat, Go nuts on basketball.

Hope this helps.

• allother94
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I know there are programs out there I can read about, but I’m on my own here

I don't know what that means, but if you don't want to use a proven program, then add deadlifts, squats or leg press, overhead presses, pull-ups or lat pulldowns, and suitcase walking lunges for lateral strength & stability (which the other exercises lack). Power cleans are a specialized exercise for power, not for general strength.

Meaning I don’t have someone to show me the correct form.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member

Well, there's your problem! I'm only half-joking.

First, play basketball after you lift or on days when you don't lift if you're pursuing greater strength. While they're two different activities, the cardio will interfere with your strength gains the way you're currently scheduled.

A couple of questions for your gym though:
    • Does you gym have power cages - a squat setup that has safeties built into it?
    • Do you have access to a barbell at all?
    • Have you ever run a linear progression program?

It'll be a lot easier to give advice with answers to these.
  • allother94

Beach press free weights
    Pec-deck machine
    Leg extension machine
    Bicep curl machine
    Pull down lat machine
    Ab crunch machine

Thanks!

What is your goal?

You've been working out for over a year with the same program, so I'd say any change will give you some results.
    1 hour of cardio before lifting is taking from your intensity, thus affecting the proper execution of the exercises and possibly making you more susceptible to injury.
    You're used to your routine now, but when you change it, you're going to feel it.

I'd also get away from machines as much as possible, allowing those free weights to work on fibers that haven't been used in a while.

Also, promote some natural vascular occlusion (Drive the blood out of the muscle) forcing your muscle to work on fibers alone.

2 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions, using challenging but not very heavy weights. Keep control at 3030.(That's 3 seconds up, 3 seconds down with no stop until you finish your set)

Upper Body
    Bench press
    Cable Row
    Incline Bench Press
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press

3 sets of 8 to 15 repetitions, using challenging but not very heavy weights. Keep control at 3030.(That's 3 seconds up, 3 seconds down with no stop until you finish your set)

Lower Body
    Leg Press
    Weighted Squats
    Lying Leg Curls

Then, for months 3 and 4, promote some vascular occlusion. Use the same routine, this time at 2020 (That's 2 seconds up, 2 seconds down with no stop until you finish your set)
    BUT, before you start the exercises, hold the weight at a half flex for 15 seconds to drive the blood out of your muscles.
    You may need to lower your weight a little bit becuase of the 15 second hold, but you are not losing strenght if that happens. Your body is just not used to it.

If possible, also split these workouts in Mon, Thu (Upper Body) and Tue, Fri (Lower Body).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this. I will give it a shot. However, I only have 2 days a week to workout given my schedule. Plus, dropping basketball before I lift isn’t an option (even though you are correct that it drains a lot of my energy). Given this, how would you condense the routine you gave me down so I could do the same routine 2x a week? Or would you recommend alternating both routines once a week?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2019

Beach press free weights
    Pec-deck machine
    Leg extension machine
    Bicep curl machine
    Pull down lat machine
    Ab crunch machine

Thanks!

Drop sets, clusters sets, pause rep reps, pyramid sets, tempo reps, forced reps (with a training partner), partials, and full/partial reps you could try if you are limited with equipment and experience and are just looking for dem sweet gainzzzzz.
  • tlpina82

Beach press free weights
    Pec-deck machine
    Leg extension machine
    Bicep curl machine
    Pull down lat machine
    Ab crunch machine

Thanks!

What is your goal?

Upper Body
    Bench press
    Cable Row
    Incline Bench Press
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Lower Body
    Leg Press
    Weighted Squats
    Lying Leg Curls

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this. I will give it a shot. However, I only have 2 days a week to workout given my schedule. Plus, dropping basketball before I lift isn’t an option (even though you are correct that it drains a lot of my energy). Given this, how would you condense the routine you gave me down so I could do the same routine 2x a week? Or would you recommend alternating both routines once a week?

You can condense them all together in the same workout, but it will be tiresome.
    I've done this same routine all in one day... took about 50 minutes to complete on a regular day with some wait due to other people using the space.

My only fear is you getting tired at Basketball and not executing the movements, particularly the Squats, properly.
    Watch for form, concentrate on the movements and ask someone from the gym to watch your squats and make sure you're not bending your back.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

In high school we did the power clean, dead lift, bench, and leg press. I am pretty comfortable with them. What if I went to those 4 and kept the pull down lats. Would that be somewhat sound? What other 2-3 exercises should I add for a good 2x a week total body?

I know there are programs out there I can read about, but I’m on my own here and am hoping to work with what I know to start and add new ones slowly.

I don't find power cleans useful for those who's goals don't involve building high velocity strength. Certainly not for hypertrophy.

I would suggest something along the lines of...
    Day 1: Deadlift, incline bench or tempo bench, RDL's.

Day 2: Leg press, bench, row.

Keeping your mains in the 5-6 and your final lift in reps of 10s.
  • allother94
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I don't find power cleans useful for those who's goals don't involve building high velocity strength. Certainly not for hypertrophy.

I would suggest something along the lines of...
    Day 1: Deadlift, incline bench or tempo bench, RDL's.

Day 2: Leg press, bench, row.

Keeping your mains in the 5-6 and your final lift in reps of 10s.

Thanks for this! What are mains? Are you saying do 3 sets of more weight with 6 reps and then 2 sets of lower weights with 10 reps? Also, are RDLs Romanian dead lifts? If so, are you saying just do dead lifts and bench on day 1?
  • allother94

Beach press free weights
    Pec-deck machine
    Leg extension machine
    Bicep curl machine
    Pull down lat machine
    Ab crunch machine

Thanks!

What is your goal?

Upper Body
    Bench press
    Cable Row
    Incline Bench Press
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Lower Body
    Leg Press
    Weighted Squats
    Lying Leg Curls

Hope this helps.

You can condense them all together in the same workout, but it will be tiresome.
    I've done this same routine all in one day... took about 50 minutes to complete on a regular day with some wait due to other people using the space.

My only fear is you getting tired at Basketball and not executing the movements, particularly the Squats, properly.
    Watch for form, concentrate on the movements and ask someone from the gym to watch your squats and make sure you're not bending your back.

Beach press free weights
    Pec-deck machine
    Leg extension machine
    Bicep curl machine
    Pull down lat machine
    Ab crunch machine

Thanks!

What is your goal?

Upper Body
    Bench press
    Cable Row
    Incline Bench Press
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Lower Body
    Leg Press
    Weighted Squats
    Lying Leg Curls

Hope this helps.

If I had to drop 3 or 4 of the exercises from your list in order to do it all in one day, which would you drop?