September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Definitely a good mid mo question
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @shanaber – love reading your race report and seeing the pictures. Do you prefer running a smaller race where at times there are no runners around or bigger races where not crowded but there are runners in sight at all times?

I like the smaller races because I can usually place. The big ones for the energy and to feel connected to a population.

Random thought I had the other day while running in the woods and thinking about the different paths that are worn into the ground by people and animals repeatedly going the same way. If I understand correctly, when we repeatedly perform a certain action or way of thinking, we create pathways in our brain. Eventually those pathways become the easiest way to travel and we start to follow them more automatically. That's why a new habit can be so hard - it's like making a new path in the forest when your feet know the old well-traveled path would be easier.
    Application: If you are starting a new, good habit, stick with it! It will get easier. And if you've already got some good habits going, don't neglect them, because it's much easier to keep them than to start over if the paths get "overgrown".

This is such a great observation! I love it!

I wondered today, so reflect that I feel that when I was 7,8,9 I liked the things that I still like and am interested in the same things that interested me then. I'm a big 7 yo. Ok, really I'm 8. Which led me to ponder, what physiological benefits are there to skipping? Why do we run and not skip? Should skipping not be as potentially efficient as running? Why is skipping not a sport? Why is skipping reserved for the young or carefree? Or perhaps... @skippygirlsmom should check in... Anyway skipping is on my mind... and I want boots, karate lesson and to play soccer. Why am I 8yo?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @143tobe Congrats on your long run. Way to push through!