September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @7lenny7 Wow. That's a lot of races and decisions to make. Hope your HM went well this morning.

@polskagirl01 That looks like a painful knee. Hope the ice helped.

@ereck44 Welcome back. Sounds like you did great on your vacation. I always gain way more than that!

@143tobe Yeah for having a good run this morning! And having a PR. Glad your heart issues are resolved for now.

@PastorVincent That sounds brutal! Glad you are okay! Congratulations on your PR in those conditions! Do you know where they guy you were trying to stay with finished?

@rheddmobile Congratulations on your race results! So close to a PR....

I really can't answer the mid month question because I have zero experience with large races and have participated in very few small ones. The one race I did that had some people in their yards cheering us on was great. So, I think I would like that aspect of larger races. I would not like the logistical nightmares you guys are talking about though.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Congratulations on running your 5K under 30 minutes! That's great! Looks like a nice place to run. Which virtual race site do you use? The one I did sent the medals out before I ran. I like the idea of having to prove that you did it. However, the one I did gives some of the proceeds to charity, so I guess I don't care if someone wants to pay for the medal and not run if a charity benefits. Love your insight about habits too!
    This was my first time ever doing a virtual race. It wasn't really from a virtual race site, since it's part of a "real" race series at the Botanical Gardens that are literally a mile from my house. They do a Spring, Summer & Fall race there, and some of the other participating cities' Botanical Gardens also had a night race. This was fun to do once, but I definitely prefer the real races.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent That sounds brutal! Glad you are okay! Congratulations on your PR in those conditions! Do you know where they guy you were trying to stay with finished?

Do you mean the guy that said "Mid 21s"? Kind of. Saw him later. He said he finished in 20something. So probably a full minute ahead of me.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @rheddmobile hey congrats on the AG placement! Just missing your PR time might be annoying, but it does mean you ran the race very well!
  • polskagirl01
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @PastorVincent While reading your report, I just knew you were going faster than you thought! Congratulations on a great run in the heat!!!!
    What airport was that?
  • quilteryoyo
    edited September 2019
    Options

Do you mean the guy that said "Mid 21s"? Kind of. Saw him later. He said he finished in 20something. So probably a full minute ahead of me.
    Yes, that's the one I was talking about. So, he was running faster than he expected to also. No wonder you couldn't keep up with him.

@polskagirl01 Gottcha. I am thinking about helping plan a race for the American Cancer Society. One of the things we talked about was having the "real" race and a virtual one too.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent While reading your report, I just knew you were going faster than you thought! Congratulations on a great run in the heat!!!!
    What airport was that?

Pittsburgh International. :)
  • PastorVincent
    edited September 2019
    Options

Yes, that's the one I was talking about. So, he was running faster than he expected to also. No wonder you couldn't keep up with him.

@polskagirl01 Gottcha. I am thinking about helping plan a race for the American Cancer Society. One of the things we talked about was having the "real" race and a virtual one too.

Yeah, the dope. :) THough trying to stay with him is probably part of why I PRd.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Well done, racers. PR's and strong finishes are nothing to sneeze at, especially when the weather conditions are less than ideal.
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    What airport was that?

Awesome. That's where I typically fly in/out when we're in the US :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    What airport was that?

Awesome. That's where I typically fly in/out when we're in the US :)

Well next time plan it for this time of you and you can hope out the plane and join the race! :smiley:
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I loved your write up. Sounded brutal! I'm glad you were able to sneak back in to steal your medal. Definitely earned that one!

@katharmonic sounds like such a nice day! Running, hiking, a little scrambling. What more could a woman want? Well, maybe those trail shoes.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @katharmonic Sounds like a nice run and hike. I hope your sunset hike works out.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Fly By 5K Race Report

5n4pl5axs5l3.jpg

TLDR: HOT! ALMOST DIED BUT FINISHED ANYWAYS

So, the temps were supposedly only in the 70s, but out there on the concrete, I would swear it felt more like 90s weather. It is the 4th year for this race and you literally run down the runway passed parked plans, helicopters, and other airport vehicles.

As we gathered in the coral I overheard one of the other runners saying he was going to run “mid 21s” so I figured I had found my pacer for a PR. I just needed to break 22 to nail a PR. I did my best as the crowd gathered to keep him in sight.

Did I mention it was hot? Most of us were already sweating while standing there in the starting line.

Suddenly they blew the air horn with no count down and dozens of Garmins around me beeped. I was not ready, but recovered, started my Garmin and was off. I saw the “mid 21s” runner and stayed with him, oh for about ½ mile. Then the heat was getting really unbearable. I let him get several strides head.

Then some more.

Then just a couple more.

We reached the ½ way point and he is almost out of sight. I feel ready to puke. Did I mention the heat yet? Cause it was brutal and I was hoping for water at the ½ point, but there was none.

Another runner in a grey shirt was just head of me. For probably 2 miles I stayed right on his tail, unable to catch him. I did pass him briefly once or twice, but it did not last.

At about 2 miles there was finally water which I poured on my head and kept going. At this point, I knew a PR was not reachable. I decided to just run the fastest race I could do in the conditions and accept what I get. I was thinking it would be more like 24 mins by the time I finished if not 25.

Finally, the end comes in sight, I try to pick up speed but was unable to go that much faster. Stomach was nearly in full rebellion.

Then like 5 strides from the finish, I hit the wall and stumbled. I made it across the finish before the dry heaves hit and paramedics pulled me from the shoot. They dragged me into the shade, gave me a towel and water.

Eventually, they let me go, and I had to sneak back into the chute to steal my metal. I also found some Nunn and guzzled that. With the towel draped over my head, I started to get to a more manageable temperature.

To give you an idea of how hot it was, the winners came in at a little over 17 minutes. I would expect in a large 5k like this the winners to be more like 13 or 14 minutes.

Oh, you probably want to know how I did. 21:49! PR! 45th over all out of 1500! Not too shabby.
    Now to find some ice cream…

Minor mistake. I finished 47th, not 45. Ah well. 6th in age group.
    ID# PLACE PLACE FINISHER GUN CHIP PACE
    690 47 6 Vincent Trigili, 44, Baden, PA 21:49 21:47 7:01
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @katharmonic Sounds like a nice run and hike. I hope your sunset hike works out.

This. If I was in your town, I would should up on time for sure. Sounds like a fun hike.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Congrats on the PR on really tough conditions!

WTG @rheddmobile on your impromptu 5K and AG place!