September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Lazy_Bones_85 Love the new profile pic! We have one cat that loves donuts, butter, English muffins with butter, milk, French fries, mayo... haha! She’d just hop up there and have that donut you went out and hunted up for her.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner wow, sounds like you had quite a bit stacked against you. you did an awesome job getting through it, and managing your insulin/glucose issues.

side note, I do some medical at races, trail races in particular, would having some u-100 syringes in my bag be worth something worth having, on the off chance I have a runner who experiences a similar issue?

@MNLittleFinn I have a WFR as well, but don't normally sign up as an official volunteer (not that I wouldn't, I just don't know of anything around here where they need me). There may be an advantage to having a syringe, but I'm not suggesting carrying one for long distances when weighing the odds of needing it vs. the benefit. My med kit for trail running is pretty small. When planning to go slower, I'll carry more, but I go light when trying to run trails.

The syringe they gave me was not actually intended for insulin, but was a 1CC syringe with markings for 100 mcg within that 1 CC. So the markings were perfectly worked out. At one of the places I asked where they didn't have a syringe at all, they said they didn't have insulin. Obviously they wouldn't... I explained I didn't need the insulin, I had some in my pump reservoir and just couldn't get to it at the moment because the infusion set had fallen out. But I also understand why they would not carry an insulin syringe when they don't carry insulin.

As you know, a syringe can be used for other purposes besides just injecting insulin. This is why I think it would be valuable to have a couple of them at a fixed aid station (not carrying 100 miles...) with a couple different markings, perhaps. For example, if someone has only 1 epi-pen and starts needing a 2nd (but already used the only 1 they brought), the auto-jectors don't use up all of the epinephrine. If you act very quickly, you may be able to cut the reservoir out of the auto-jector and pull the remaining medicine out with a syringe. Of course, hopefully you had the patient chew up and swallow benadryl when they could a few min. ago, but that is a different conversation.
    There are likely other examples, but I'm not sure the benefits are worth carrying one for a long distance. It is a good idea to have in a fixed medical station, though, like if you are taking a whole big pack or even if they drive a plastic tub of medical supplies, water cooler, etc. out on an ATV to setup an aid station... definitely it is worthwhile to throw a couple syringes in that medical tub.

Personally, I think I'm going to add a syringe to what I carry for longer runs and marathons.

I might get some, just in case. Before I had WFR, when I was WFA, we learned about how to get the extra epi out of the pens. Not part of normal curriculum, but you know.... Benadryl is part of my normal carry bag. Extra epi is high on my priority due to the bee sting incident at my last race, where the runner didn't respond to his first dose. Other runners had found him with his autoinjector right next to him.

When I'm working medical, my truck is normally within like 100m. I have a full trauma kit in there, and a quick go kit in case I need to go out on trail. I'm always looking for more ideas and more training, can't get enough.

I also had WFA before WFR. And when it comes to "wilderness," nothing is normal. B) When we did training missions for WFR, we were allowed our typical hiking pack and no medical supplies (except gloves). One one of the night missions, the patient I found had a sucking chest (left anterior trunk) wound and fractured tibia. In this case, the story, make-up, layout, etc. was that the patient had been running from wild hogs (this was in AR in a park where wild hogs are everywhere, it's ridiculous), climbed a tree, but then fell out of the tree after the hogs left. The sucking chest wound was from landing on a sharp rock (only 1 opening). The fix for the sucking chest wound was a glove (could have easily used a plastic ziploc bag if I hadn't brought extra gloves) and duct tape to seal air out, then monitor the patient and manually vent every few min. as needed. For the fractured tibia, splinted with a hiking pole and clothing for padding. Of course, it had to rain that night and there were lots of spiders too, so the "E" part was a big challenge as well. But anyway, the point I'm making is that sometimes we do what we can with what we have and that is an important part of the wilderness medical training. Other times, nothing we have is going to do the job. That's what I was faced with yesterday and why I asked for a syringe... I know they wouldn't carry infusion sets, but figured they would likely have syringes.

ETA: But of course, yesterday was also not wilderness.

Falling out of trees is such a staple. Our last scenario was a moron who was climbing trees and fell. Open fracture right femur, broken pelvis, chest trauma, head trauma, ANO1-2 depending. It was a simulated SAR so we had full gear, but getting him extracted from tree branches, on the litter and then to the HLZ, was interesting. So glad that one was daylight, there was only 5 of us, so the litter carry was a beast.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner wow, sounds like you had quite a bit stacked against you. you did an awesome job getting through it, and managing your insulin/glucose issues.

side note, I do some medical at races, trail races in particular, would having some u-100 syringes in my bag be worth something worth having, on the off chance I have a runner who experiences a similar issue?

@MNLittleFinn I have a WFR as well, but don't normally sign up as an official volunteer (not that I wouldn't, I just don't know of anything around here where they need me). There may be an advantage to having a syringe, but I'm not suggesting carrying one for long distances when weighing the odds of needing it vs. the benefit. My med kit for trail running is pretty small. When planning to go slower, I'll carry more, but I go light when trying to run trails.

The syringe they gave me was not actually intended for insulin, but was a 1CC syringe with markings for 100 mcg within that 1 CC. So the markings were perfectly worked out. At one of the places I asked where they didn't have a syringe at all, they said they didn't have insulin. Obviously they wouldn't... I explained I didn't need the insulin, I had some in my pump reservoir and just couldn't get to it at the moment because the infusion set had fallen out. But I also understand why they would not carry an insulin syringe when they don't carry insulin.

As you know, a syringe can be used for other purposes besides just injecting insulin. This is why I think it would be valuable to have a couple of them at a fixed aid station (not carrying 100 miles...) with a couple different markings, perhaps. For example, if someone has only 1 epi-pen and starts needing a 2nd (but already used the only 1 they brought), the auto-jectors don't use up all of the epinephrine. If you act very quickly, you may be able to cut the reservoir out of the auto-jector and pull the remaining medicine out with a syringe. Of course, hopefully you had the patient chew up and swallow benadryl when they could a few min. ago, but that is a different conversation.
    There are likely other examples, but I'm not sure the benefits are worth carrying one for a long distance. It is a good idea to have in a fixed medical station, though, like if you are taking a whole big pack or even if they drive a plastic tub of medical supplies, water cooler, etc. out on an ATV to setup an aid station... definitely it is worthwhile to throw a couple syringes in that medical tub.

Personally, I think I'm going to add a syringe to what I carry for longer runs and marathons.

I might get some, just in case. Before I had WFR, when I was WFA, we learned about how to get the extra epi out of the pens. Not part of normal curriculum, but you know.... Benadryl is part of my normal carry bag. Extra epi is high on my priority due to the bee sting incident at my last race, where the runner didn't respond to his first dose. Other runners had found him with his autoinjector right next to him.

When I'm working medical, my truck is normally within like 100m. I have a full trauma kit in there, and a quick go kit in case I need to go out on trail. I'm always looking for more ideas and more training, can't get enough.

I also had WFA before WFR. And when it comes to "wilderness," nothing is normal. B) When we did training missions for WFR, we were allowed our typical hiking pack and no medical supplies (except gloves). One one of the night missions, the patient I found had a sucking chest (left anterior trunk) wound and fractured tibia. In this case, the story, make-up, layout, etc. was that the patient had been running from wild hogs (this was in AR in a park where wild hogs are everywhere, it's ridiculous), climbed a tree, but then fell out of the tree after the hogs left. The sucking chest wound was from landing on a sharp rock (only 1 opening). The fix for the sucking chest wound was a glove (could have easily used a plastic ziploc bag if I hadn't brought extra gloves) and duct tape to seal air out, then monitor the patient and manually vent every few min. as needed. For the fractured tibia, splinted with a hiking pole and clothing for padding. Of course, it had to rain that night and there were lots of spiders too, so the "E" part was a big challenge as well. But anyway, the point I'm making is that sometimes we do what we can with what we have and that is an important part of the wilderness medical training. Other times, nothing we have is going to do the job. That's what I was faced with yesterday and why I asked for a syringe... I know they wouldn't carry infusion sets, but figured they would likely have syringes.

Falling out of trees is such a staple. Our last scenario was a moron who was climbing trees and fell. Open fracture right femur, broken pelvis, chest trauma, head trauma, ANO1-2 depending. It was a simulated SAR so we had full gear, but getting him extracted from tree branches, on the litter and then to the HLZ, was interesting. So glad that one was daylight, there was only 5 of us, so the litter carry was a beast.

Only 5?! Yes, that is rough. And at A+Ox2, the patient automatically fails an FSA. At least in my practice case, the patient was always A+Ox4, no other factors, and pass the FSA. Plus a femur / pelvis, yikes! To be honest, though, IRL I far prefer trauma cases rather than sickness. On the patient side as a diabetic, I know what I need to do for diabetes-related sickness issues assuming I'm A - even at just A with hypoglycemia, I usually know what to do because it is more ingrained into me than my own name after so many decades.

Interestingly enough, I just tried going to Walgreens and apparently can't buy syringes here without a prescription. I really thought they were OTC in every state, but I guess Tennessee is backwards. :( So I guess I need to head up to KY next weekend for a pharmacy, maybe use it as my reason to finally go run Land Between the Lakes, which I mentioned to @AlphaHowls that I had it on my list.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

Only 5?! Yes, that is rough. And at A+Ox2, the patient automatically fails an FSA. At least in my practice case, the patient was always A+Ox4, no other factors, and pass the FSA. Plus a femur / pelvis, yikes! To be honest, though, IRL I far prefer trauma cases rather than sickness. On the patient side as a diabetic, I know what I need to do for diabetes-related sickness issues assuming I'm A - even at just A with hypoglycemia, I usually know what to do because it is more ingrained into me than my own name after so many decades.

Interestingly enough, I just tried going to Walgreens and apparently can't buy syringes here without a prescription. I really thought they were OTC in every state, but I guess Tennessee is backwards. :( So I guess I need to head up to KY next weekend for a pharmacy, maybe use it as my reason to finally go run Land Between the Lakes, which I mentioned to @AlphaHowls that I had it on my list.

Yeah, it was interesting, and, yeah, from a treatment position, I prefer treating trauma, it's more straight forward. With the pelvis and leg, it was automatic litter carry, going A&Ox2 was just the icing on the cake. We were out there a while figuring it out. Got lots of practice taking vitals. Other patient was a slight knock on the head and a stable ankle injury. We had a third patient, but it was a CPR dummy, with a tree on it, and a hand near it... Automatic triage code black. Supposed to be obviously dead

Guy who was our simulated team lead had a real hard time with us not treating the code black, but parameters of the exercise put evac too far out for us to help.

Course was crazy, but it got me interested in SAR, and now I'm a member of the County rescue squad
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    September goal: 110 miles

9/1: 8.86 miles
    9/3: 6.31 miles
    9/4: 6.25 miles
    9/5: 6.25 miles
    9/8: 10.55 miles
    9/10: 6.25 miles
    9/11: 6.25 miles
    9/12: 6.26 miles
    9/15: 10.25 miles
    9/17: 6.55 miles
    9/18: 6.26 miles
    9/19: 6.25 miles
    9/22: 10.05 miles

96.34/110 miles completed

Today's run was tough. It was hot when I started out at 7:30 this morning at 76°F, Feels like 77°F, Humidity 79%, Dew point 69°F. And there were 10-15 mph winds. Running south was really hard. I felt so slow today. I had to remind myself that long runs should be run slower, but it just felt tough. I told myself that I could just run 8 miles and it would still be a long run, but as I got to the end of the run I just kept running my regular route and ended up with 10 miles. I did get my new shoes too, so that was good. But I am definitely looking forward to some cooler weather.

Obligatory shoe pic:
    mrhsbrzcdhmw.jpg
    Congrats to all who raced this weekend! It looks like there were lots of great PRs and AG wins and just good runs!

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather
    10/5/19: Old Rip 5K

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon

We are shoe twins! I have the blue ISO Ride as well. How do you like them? I found they had a much better heel fit than my ASICS did.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic great pics! Glad you got your hike in! That would have been a shame to miss!

Well done @Avidkeo!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Yeah, it was interesting, and, yeah, from a treatment position, I prefer treating trauma, it's more straight forward. With the pelvis and leg, it was automatic litter carry, going A&Ox2 was just the icing on the cake. We were out there a while figuring it out. Got lots of practice taking vitals. Other patient was a slight knock on the head and a stable ankle injury. We had a third patient, but it was a CPR dummy, with a tree on it, and a hand near it... Automatic triage code black. Supposed to be obviously dead

Guy who was our simulated team lead had a real hard time with us not treating the code black, but parameters of the exercise put evac too far out for us to help.

Course was crazy, but it got me interested in SAR, and now I'm a member of the County rescue squad

Ugh, sucks when the team leader can't even go along with an objective #5.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    @emmamcgarity I've never worn Asics, but I really like the Sauconys. I do wish they lasted longer, but they fit well and are comfortable.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Anyone else seeing lots of space inserted above posts lately? Or is it just me? Looks like half of us (my posts sometimes, too) hit the enter key a bunch of times before starting to type.

Something was wrong with my bike, and I discovered it as I was rushing out the driveway to get one of the kids to school. So I ditched the bike (& plans to ride to the track), and did my 3x1600@HMpace workout on the road & trail instead. My hubby fixed the bike, and now I'm all comfy under a quilt that I'm repairing :)

September goal 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Oct. 19 - CityTrail trail 5k (#1 of 6 in the series)
    Oct. 26 - Botanical Autumn 5k
    Oct. 27 - Lublin Half Marathon
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 I've noticed the spacing issues too.

Rest day for me. That's why I woke up half an hour early, I'm sure.