• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    143tobe wrote: »
    So why did you pull out of your half marathon Lisa? Because cookies. :D

Sounds legit to me. 👍

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner congrats on finishing your marathon. You sure had to deal with a lot of things most people don't even think about. But you managed it well. You really ought to get 2 medals for that race! 🏅💪

Second!!!!!
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    @polskagirl01 Ouch!

@7lenny7 @T1DCarnivoreRunner Great job to both of you in spite of your challenges!

@mbaker566 Glad your tire is fixed, but sorry you had to miss the race.

September Miles - 36.26/?, walk 9.1
    09/02 - 0.88; walk 2.69
    09/04 - 3.67
    09/06 - 1.54; walk 0.5
    09/08 - 4.91
    09/10 - 2.88; walk 0.78
    09/11 - 3.78; walk 0.32
    09/12 - walk 1.4
    09/13 - 3.41; walk 0.47
    09/15 - 3.59; walk 1.88
    09/16 - walk 1.06
    09/18 - 3.5
    09/21 - 3.29
    09/22 - 4.81

Took the dogs each out for a run the past two days. Yesterday was an easy run as it should be... today I pushed just a little. Super happy that I didn't push too much, yet was at a pretty consistent pace with both of them.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @PastorVincent my son is very interested in the airport race you did. He wants to know how you got on the runway. Did you have to go in through airport security? Or "did they just open up the gate and let them run through"? (And then a plane flew over the house and he ran outside to check it out.)

I did a run the runway at a small, private airport. It was... interesting. LOL I never really realized a runway is not flat and definitely has some banking. It was also really hot. All that asphalt, no shade.
  • PastorVincent
    @PastorVincent my son is very interested in the airport race you did. He wants to know how you got on the runway. Did you have to go in through airport security? Or "did they just open up the gate and let them run through"? (And then a plane flew over the house and he ran outside to check it out.)

I did a run the runway at a small, private airport. It was... interesting. LOL I never really realized a runway is not flat and definitely has some banking. It was also really hot. All that asphalt, no shade.

Yeah, this course had probably a 1% or 2% grade, but it was for 1.5 or 1.6 miles. You think it is not much but after a while it starts eating away at you.

AND OMG HOT.
  • PastorVincent

They pretty much opened the gates and we all walked onto the runway for the starting area. There were couple-few uniformed security agents, but nothing more than you would have at any large public events. It was very relaxed from a security perspective but I doubt anyone could have done much without being seen. It is so wide open with no shelter or anything to hide behind anyone trying to wander off would clearly be seen.
  • PastorVincent
    Super excited to find a running group on MFP! I’m in for 100 miles this month.

Yay! Welcome!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner wow, sounds like you had quite a bit stacked against you. you did an awesome job getting through it, and managing your insulin/glucose issues.

side note, I do some medical at races, trail races in particular, would having some u-100 syringes in my bag be worth something worth having, on the off chance I have a runner who experiences a similar issue?

@MNLittleFinn I have a WFR as well, but don't normally sign up as an official volunteer (not that I wouldn't, I just don't know of anything around here where they need me). There may be an advantage to having a syringe, but I'm not suggesting carrying one for long distances when weighing the odds of needing it vs. the benefit. My med kit for trail running is pretty small. When planning to go slower, I'll carry more, but I go light when trying to run trails.

The syringe they gave me was not actually intended for insulin, but was a 1CC syringe with markings for 100 mcg within that 1 CC. So the markings were perfectly worked out. At one of the places I asked where they didn't have a syringe at all, they said they didn't have insulin. Obviously they wouldn't... I explained I didn't need the insulin, I had some in my pump reservoir and just couldn't get to it at the moment because the infusion set had fallen out. But I also understand why they would not carry an insulin syringe when they don't carry insulin.

As you know, a syringe can be used for other purposes besides just injecting insulin. This is why I think it would be valuable to have a couple of them at a fixed aid station (not carrying 100 miles...) with a couple different markings, perhaps. For example, if someone has only 1 epi-pen and starts needing a 2nd (but already used the only 1 they brought), the auto-jectors don't use up all of the epinephrine. If you act very quickly, you may be able to cut the reservoir out of the auto-jector and pull the remaining medicine out with a syringe. Of course, hopefully you had the patient chew up and swallow benadryl when they could a few min. ago, but that is a different conversation.
    There are likely other examples, but I'm not sure the benefits are worth carrying one for a long distance. It is a good idea to have in a fixed medical station, though, like if you are taking a whole big pack or even if they drive a plastic tub of medical supplies, water cooler, etc. out on an ATV to setup an aid station... definitely it is worthwhile to throw a couple syringes in that medical tub.

Personally, I think I'm going to add a syringe to what I carry for longer runs and marathons.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member

They pretty much opened the gates and we all walked onto the runway for the starting area. There were couple-few uniformed security agents, but nothing more than you would have at any large public events. It was very relaxed from a security perspective but I doubt anyone could have done much without being seen. It is so wide open with no shelter or anything to hide behind anyone trying to wander off would clearly be seen.
    He's very impressed. Also somewhat obsessed with planes and airport security, haha.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner wow, sounds like you had quite a bit stacked against you. you did an awesome job getting through it, and managing your insulin/glucose issues.

side note, I do some medical at races, trail races in particular, would having some u-100 syringes in my bag be worth something worth having, on the off chance I have a runner who experiences a similar issue?

@MNLittleFinn I have a WFR as well, but don't normally sign up as an official volunteer (not that I wouldn't, I just don't know of anything around here where they need me). There may be an advantage to having a syringe, but I'm not suggesting carrying one for long distances when weighing the odds of needing it vs. the benefit. My med kit for trail running is pretty small. When planning to go slower, I'll carry more, but I go light when trying to run trails.

The syringe they gave me was not actually intended for insulin, but was a 1CC syringe with markings for 100 mcg within that 1 CC. So the markings were perfectly worked out. At one of the places I asked where they didn't have a syringe at all, they said they didn't have insulin. Obviously they wouldn't... I explained I didn't need the insulin, I had some in my pump reservoir and just couldn't get to it at the moment because the infusion set had fallen out. But I also understand why they would not carry an insulin syringe when they don't carry insulin.

As you know, a syringe can be used for other purposes besides just injecting insulin. This is why I think it would be valuable to have a couple of them at a fixed aid station (not carrying 100 miles...) with a couple different markings, perhaps. For example, if someone has only 1 epi-pen and starts needing a 2nd (but already used the only 1 they brought), the auto-jectors don't use up all of the epinephrine. If you act very quickly, you may be able to cut the reservoir out of the auto-jector and pull the remaining medicine out with a syringe. Of course, hopefully you had the patient chew up and swallow benadryl when they could a few min. ago, but that is a different conversation.
    There are likely other examples, but I'm not sure the benefits are worth carrying one for a long distance. It is a good idea to have in a fixed medical station, though, like if you are taking a whole big pack or even if they drive a plastic tub of medical supplies, water cooler, etc. out on an ATV to setup an aid station... definitely it is worthwhile to throw a couple syringes in that medical tub.

Personally, I think I'm going to add a syringe to what I carry for longer runs and marathons.

I might get some, just in case. Before I had WFR, when I was WFA, we learned about how to get the extra epi out of the pens. Not part of normal curriculum, but you know.... Benadryl is part of my normal carry bag. Extra epi is high on my priority due to the bee sting incident at my last race, where the runner didn't respond to his first dose. Other runners had found him with his autoinjector right next to him.

When I'm working medical, my truck is normally within like 100m. I have a full trauma kit in there, and a quick go kit in case I need to go out on trail. I'm always looking for more ideas and more training, can't get enough.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

He's very impressed. Also somewhat obsessed with planes and airport security, haha.

At the US Air Force Marathon yesterday, we started and ended in the secured area at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Parking took an hour and they made make-shift parking in grassy sections on base. I didn't know what I could or couldn't bring in our vehicles, I just knew we couldn't bring certain things into the race area. If I had known all of the logistics, I probably could have packed a little differently and left some stuff in the car.

Then we all had to go through security (after parking / leaving cars) to get to the tarmac for starting / ending. The race course goes around base, then leaves and goes to the city of Fairborn, through downtown, and then back onto base and ends in the secured area again, but without going through security during the race (that would hurt everyone's time). There are lot of people around who might have seen something, but I can see how it is possible someone could have obtained a weapon while out on the unsecured part of the race and then bring it into the secured area as a runner. There are a ton of police on the course - military police, Fairborn police, sheriffs, etc., but that is a good point about airport / air base security.