September 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts re: the robbery. We got the glass repaired and bought some emergency kit for our race (also accidentally bought a pair of new shoes, going into a running store is dangerous) such as a spi belt and body glide, and we ordered some stuff that should arrive today. I keep remembering stuff that was in my bag, such as my favorite really expensive MAC lipstick that I would never pay full price for, but I got it in an Ipsy bag. But I think I can eventually replace everything except my kalegi jacket hood, which tears me up because it’s my favorite piece of running gear, and not made anymore. Ugh!

Anyway we picked up our packets for Saturday and in the event email was a nice surprise:
    3oz97vg6i97x.png
    The right hand photo is me and my husband at this event last year! I want the full sized version, it looks like a good photo. There were no photos for sale or posted anywhere from this event that I can find online, I wonder if I can contact the media person and ask about the photo.

Hey, I didn't know there was a race there tomorrow... I was planning to do my long run (20 miles). I assume the 5K is generally around the lake and maybe a bit extra somewhere?

Start is on the grass across from the pavilion next to the visitors center, then up the hill through the parking lot past the visitor’s center to the road, right onto the road and up that long hill to the fed ex center road, down past the fed ex center on the bicycle road, then around the lake clockwise and back up to the pavilion. So yeah, basically the lake plus fed ex hill. The distance is actually 3.36 miles. I’m pretty sure that bombing down that hill by the fed ex center is how I tore up my Achilles’ tendon.

If you’re at liberty you should come! There are tons of folks, usually about 5000, and a nice party. It’s not a serious runners’ race, tons of walkers, but everyone always has a good time.

I was going to do 20 miles anyway tomorrow, but looks like that is for cyclists. I might do the 5K and stick around for another 17 depending on how I feel... or maybe I should actually push in the 5K and run 20 miles on Sun. instead. Hmm... that may be the better idea anyway. It's been a year since I have run a 5K race. Would you and husband want to meet?

Sounds great! I sent you a friend request to simply communication.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    Great news @polskagirl01!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,883 Member
    @7lenny7 Great race report! Love the pictures. Awesome scenery. Glad the bee sting didn't affect you any worse. I hadn't heard about pickle juice helping cramps. Any particular kind of pickle juice?

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,883 Member
    @martaindale I'm woefully behind too. Like 4 more pages, which won't get done tonight. Sometimes, it's just hard to keep up, but I do love this group! Great job on your 5K! Sorry it was so disorganized. I do hope they get the kinks worked out for next year. Maybe you could volunteer to help organize it, or at least give them a few pointers, if needed.

@Avidkeo Great news about finding a good 5K loop at your new home. Sorry about the mold on your furniture. Hope you don't have to throw out too much.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    @quilteryoyo my favorite pickles are kosher baby dills, so that's the juice I use. I don't think it really makes a difference what kind you use though.
  • JMNagain
    JMNagain Posts: 121 Member
    @7lenny7 A full moon run looks like a great idea! I might do one next month if I can. It will be darker earlier next month as well so it won't need to be late.

Had a funny morning run yesterday. Did 5km in a much faster time than usual, according to my phone, and the rundouble app. About two minutes faster than anything else I've run recently. I got this despite the fact that I was taking it easy after a long run the night before, that I stopped for 20 seconds or so to feed a street dog, and that I was wearing new leggings which I had to keep pulling up which normally involves a bit of a pause. And, most dammingly, I turned around about 200m short of where my app usually tells me to turn round on a 5k. So I feel like my phone was not recording accurately at all, so who knows how far or fast I have run on any of my runs! I know phones aren't super accurate, but I thought they would be out by tens of metres, but this feels like it's out by nearly 500m. I can't afford a decent gps watch at the moment, so I guess I just have to keep using my phone and trying not to feel cheated.

exercise.png
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,650 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Well that was a fantastic run tonight! The group run I organized, which I named the Friday the 13th Full Moon Howl was well attended with 20 runners and one dog. Temps in the 50's (F) and no rain (after 3 inches in the last two days) made for a great night for running. We met at my local trail at 7pm, sun set at 7:30pm, and the moon start rising soon after that.

I had a 16.7 mile route planned. Some got their early and did more, some quit early and did less. It started out cloudy, but at the 8 mile mark the clouds thinned out enough to give us an awesome view of the full moon. It was crazy bright!

When we do these group runs, it's always a "no runner left behind" so someone in the organizing group always stays in the back to make sure no one gets lost. I was hoping to be that guy tonight, but someone else volunteered, and since it was my event with my route, I led the way the entire time. That turned out well because I actually felt great, particularly in the second half and had no problem leading the way. It was my best feeling trail run in quite a while actually, like I hit a certain milestone in my training.

The first half of the route was my favorite part of the park and is like running a roller coaster, up and down, up and down, some very steep hills. The second half was run mostly through prairie, with some wooded areas thrown in for fun. At one point we found the trail flooded with 6 inches of flowing water. Two days ago that trail was dry. It was cold but quite refreshing. My shoes are on the boot dryer right now.

After the run, those of us still there had some more social time and shared a few stories, and a beer or two. I'm generally a solo runner, but this group really clicked and I had a fantastic time. I'll have to plan more of these events.

One bizarre twist to the night. After I got home from the run I got on Strava, went to where they list who you ran with and I "Followed" one of the gals who was in the group. In looking at her profile I had to do a double take. In her list of followers was none other than our very own @eleanorhawkins !! Small world! I'm very curious how that connection was made.

The photos below were taken by one of the runners in the group.
    aqpkxho0zywg.jpg
    3hg29juuzvvb.jpg
    n4zlfpgui9km.jpg

@7lenny7 what a small world the internet has created! I'm in 3 or 4 groups through facebook and here so guess that's how that happened 😂
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    For the record all you all, do NOT be me.

You okay man? I am way behind in the posts on this thread, but if you need anything just reach out.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Went expoloering again at lunch. This time I used a device the wetlanders call a bridge and crossed the river to see what was over there. Plenty of pictures in the spoiler tags.
    xqjmjede4jed.jpg
    rvwmzxe0192y.jpg
    0xq2zc0h9mp2.jpg
    ggy7666r4whm.jpg
    35m36623ece3.jpg
    yqhe5p7vnkqh.jpg
    46nz13y1iwe8.jpg
    oj6k6fiwo9fv.jpg
    kvw1g2fhu5ip.jpg
    cbt4vx0zjtnj.jpg

These are all #shotoniphone

I keep thinking I should go back with my camera, but that would take a special trip and planing. iPhone is easier for these random wanderings.